Avernum 3: Ruined World Is Out!

Avernum 3: Ruined World is out. This isn't news here, of course, but I wanted to say something personally.

Reworking this game is a huge, exhausting job. It's REALLY big. I went over everything, every space, every item, every line of dialogue. I did my best to be respectful to the title and the love people here have for it. I tried to make sure every change is an improvement. I wrote a lot more about the process here:

http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2018/02/we-released-avernum-3-ruined-world.html

I will be watching the forums for a while to spot bugs and issues. However, if you want to tell me about a problem, the best way, now as always, is to write support@spiderwebsoftware.com. This is the ONLY way you can make sure we see it.

If you are interested in supporting us, there are a number of ways. I strongly encourage you to buy the game wherever you want to, but we get a larger cut when you buy the game from our own web site. If you want to help us get coverage in the future, a positive Steam review would be enormously helpful:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/691830

Finally, thank you all for your kind support over the years. I can't put into words how grateful I am to the people who made it possible for me to live my childhood dream. I'm going to write a new game now, and I promise I will do all I can to make it worth the support you've given me.

I have a few questions and possibly one bug or maybe a feature.

In the upper underworld I accidentally sold the statue I was supposed to collect as it had value and only later did I realize I needed it to complete a quest.

So now I've got that quest stuck, never be resolved.

So how do I fix it? Is there any easy way to spawn the statue using an sdf or debug command?

I had other questions but now I've completely forgot.

It's not exactly a bug, but whenever I start up Avernum 3 I suddenly find that hours have passed mysteriously, and I am dehydrated, hungry and have a stiff neck. I suspect that the Vahnatai are using the game as a portal to abduct humans for experimentation.

Anyway, I don't believe I know of any game from that time that was anywhere near as ambitious in terms of an open world that deteriorated as time went by. Actually, I've never heard of anything like that.

Edited by Minion

2 hours ago, Bismuth said:

I have a few questions and possibly one bug or maybe a feature.

In the upper underworld I accidentally sold the statue I was supposed to collect as it had value and only later did I realize I needed it to complete a quest.

So now I've got that quest stuck, never be resolved.

So how do I fix it? Is there any easy way to spawn the statue using an sdf or debug command?

I had other questions but now I've completely forgot.

Are you sure you sold the statue as it is a special item? You need to use a hidden switch in the Wolf Pit to find stairs up to the room with the box holding the statue.

9 hours ago, othersean said:

Congrats!  A3 was a masterpiece of open-world combat tourism, and I'm happy to pay for the remix.  Is "buy[ing] the game from our own web site" the same as clicking on the humblebundle.com button?  I'd rather hand my $20 directly to Spiderweb, with no middlemen taking a cut.

Yes, Humble Store is the most direct way to buy the game while maximizing SW's share of your payment. There are always middlemen in this world we live in: if Spiderweb weren't using Humble, they'd have to make their own deal with a payment processor instead.

Has anyone any idea why it's always night time in on the surface? Inside towns, on battle fields and in the part with the bandit lair and Erika's tower it's normal light, but the whole surface section is eternally gloomy. Not much fun to stumble around in this depressing darkness.

Could it be a bug?

edit: sorry, this is in the wrong topic. I didn't see the others before, probably since I was not logged in. Will post this question somewhere else - and please delete this post (couldn't find a way to delet it myself)

Edited by spy-there
wrong place

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think it's a wonderful ending to the series!  I am amazed at the detail, the humor, the cleverness of the quests, the puzzle aspects. . . everything about it.  I did like being able to teleport between more places, but quickly learned some short cuts to get to places.  I also love the replayability of all the games in the series. . . lets me see other endings and other outcomes.  Thank you so much!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • admin unpinned this topic