Shield vs Dual Wielding on Torment? (A3:RW)

I'm trying to decide between having my tank be a dual wielder (for more damage) vs a sword and shield user (for more tankiness).

For tough fights, will the increased tankiness or the increased damage tend to matter more?

For context, my party will be this character, a spear user, a mage/priest, and a priest, and I'm planning on getting everyone adrenaline rush by mid-game.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Randomizer said:

Because of damage and to hit penalties you need to start off as sword and shield. Until you have several levels of Dual Wielding, you don't want to switch over to two swords.

Game difficulty level really makes the decision on when to switch.

Yep, makes sense.  It sounds like you're saying that in the late game (once I have a bunch of points in dual wielding and the two traits), defense won't be too much of a problem, though, even on Torment?

I don't know about torment but on hard my dw fighter doesn't take damage out of proportion to the others in the party*.  As long as he's in decent armor & you've put points into hardiness & parry dw is a viable option.  By late game you should also have Cloak of the Arcane available along with Ward of Steel/Elements, make sure to cast them before going out & wandering around outside of town.

*everyone has decent armor/ getting blasted by golems' spells for instance, everyone gets damaged more or less equally