Stuck in Crypt of Drath?

I cleared the Crypt of Drath without any problems but cannot get Drath killed (level 18 party, normal difficulty). Lured out all other mobs in his room and killed them without triggering Drath himself but even though I fight him alone it does not work out (my dmg seems very low).

I'd be fine with coming back later, but it seems I cannot get out through the teleporter maze. My last save before entering the crypt is a couple hours old, so I'd lose quite some progress if I went back to that.

So,

1. can Drath be killed on level 18?

2. can I get out?

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: I'm playing Avernum: EftP.

Edited by heh1

1. He probably can't be killed at level 18, but you neglected to mention difficulty level. He gets more active as he loses health, but you do have an option to let him flee and miss out on an item drop.

2. I think you can get out through a passage to the south from a room near Drath. I don't remember if you have to fight past Drath to reach it. If you see a coffin with part of Demonslayer in it, then you went the right way.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. That's if anything is left after the last few hours of gaming. :)

This game teaches you that just because you can get there doesn't mean you should explore there. :)

Thanks for the reply! I'm playing on normal difficulty.

It seems you can't get out of there without killing Drath, at least with my tool use skill (there is one switch I can't operate, so maybe that might open an exit?).

Well, I lowered the difficulty to casual and then could bring evil Drath down to the point where he's fleeing ("Drath takes 19 points of damage. (163 blocked)" LOL). Kind of a bummer, but I'll just declare it a bug that you can get stuck down there, so the blame's on Mr. Vogel (*shakes pitch fork*) and I can continue with my life :-)

FWIW: I'm fine with having to leave some encounter for later (had same situation in the Nephar Fortress), non-linear questing/exploration is so much better than the linear AAA stuff; but you should be able get out (as long as you're out of combat and not obviously trapped). Or maybe I should just sometime learn to keep saves in addition to the most recent quick save, after playing cRPGs for almost 30 years...

Anyways, love this RPG, esp. the story, lore and world building. Blows my mind it released years before BG1! Very impressive.