3D editor is broken in Mac OS High Sierra?

Thralni

I just updated to Mac OS High Sierra, and now every time I try to save my .bas files in the 3D editor (I think I have the newest version of it), I instead get an "error 73" and the program unloads my scenario. It doesn't crash entirely, and I can reload the scenario, but of course without any changes actually saved. So, it might has well just have crashed entirely...

Anybody seen this? Anybody any idea what to do? Effectively I can't work on my scenarios anymore now...

I'd rather not have to revert back to Mac OS Sierra, the hassle of wiping the disk and putting back a backup is something I'd rather not go through again

Edit: Tested all of the versions back to 1.1.1, they all give this error...

edit2: it just occurred to me that perhaps what broke the editor is the new file system Apple introduced in this version of the OS, since the error the editor it giving is one of saving the scenario. Anyway, for now I found a workaround in using the windows editor.

Edited by Thralni

I hadn't even gotten to check out Illustrator and Photoshop yet, but the fact that APFS breaks them too is disastrous... I'm going to revert back to 10.12 for now. Can't quite wrpa my head around my stupidity - after all, APFS was THE main improvement touted by Apple in this release, and I forgot all about it. Fortunately I have my Time machine backups or I'd be royally screwed at this point.

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Windows has a Compatibility Wizard that tries to make programs run, programs that worked on earlier versions of Windows. Go into Windows Explorer and right-click on the program concerned. 
Does Mac have an equivalent of this Wizard?

3D Editors work on Windows well enough, if only through the Compatibility Wizard.

Mac doesn't have an equivalent of that wizard. In fact, on the Mac you basically just can't run older programs at all no matter what. I'm not sure what the cut-off point is though; I know PowerPC or Classic apps won't run on newer Macs, but I'm not sure if there's an additional compatibility line that was crossed.

Anyway, like I was saying, if there are problems specifically related to the filesystem, then I would think you could just use the older filesystem to solve those problems.

The Mac has fewer compatibility gaps, but the few that it does have (especially 680x0/PowerPC/Intel, and Classic/X) are big enough that they can't be crossed without actual third-party emulation of an older environment.

The good news is that while emulation takes more work to set up, it is almost always going to make the old app work.  (Of course, this is also an option on Windows machines, too, if compatibility mode doesn't do the trick.)

• 3 months later...
On 3/21/2019 at 5:14 PM, Celtic Minstrel said:

For the record, if APFS is the issue and it's not (yet?) fixed, wouldn't it work to create an HFS+ partition (or even just a writable disk image) and do your BoA work on there?

I just had to upgrade (old computer died), and to my mild amazement, this appears to work. I used Disk Utility to create a writable disk image and it appears possible to edit a BoA scenario on it with the 3D Editor.

• 1 year later...
On 7/21/2019 at 2:43 AM, Kelandon said:

I just had to upgrade (old computer died), and to my mild amazement, this appears to work. I used Disk Utility to create a writable disk image and it appears possible to edit a BoA scenario on it with the 3D Editor.

Could you explain how you did this? I have a very brief idea of how to use disk utility but I can't seem to do what you're describing.

I tried creating a blank writeable disk image with the APFS format, but how can you get the editor to recognise it and save/load scenarios to it?

On 8/6/2020 at 6:05 PM, Vox said:

Could you explain how you did this? I have a very brief idea of how to use disk utility but I can't seem to do what you're describing.

I tried creating a blank writeable disk image with the APFS format, but how can you get the editor to recognise it and save/load scenarios to it?

If you've made a dmg file, open it and that should mount it as if it were another hard disk. Then you can put your scenario's bas file (and the rest of the scripts, if need be) in there, and the editor should be able to edit and save the bas file.

I happily went to follow this advice - and then realized that I'm on Catalina now and the 3D editor is now 100% unsupported because Apple dropped support for 32bit apps. Blades of Avernum itself is also dead now, at least on Mac. It seems that if I want to do any further development, it would have to be on Windows.

9 hours ago, Kelandon said:

If you've made a dmg file, open it and that should mount it as if it were another hard disk. Then you can put your scenario's bas file (and the rest of the scripts, if need be) in there, and the editor should be able to edit and save the bas file.

Yeah I tried this it didn’t seem to work. I might try it a few more times in case I did something wrong. I am on 10.13 still.

If that doesn’t work I’ll probably move over to my windows to keep making scenarios.

11 hours ago, Kelandon said:

What happened? I might be able to help if you give more details. Did you get an error message or something?

Incidentally, you said that you created a disk image with the APFS format, but, per the above posts, APFS is the problem. It needs to be in the older format.

Ah gees. My brain just completely backflipped when reading these posts earlier. I kept trying the APFS format...

Took me a minute to figure out what the HFS+ format is, it's actually the default format Disk Utility was trying to use but I kept changing it to APFS. Derp!

I finally got it working! Thanks for that!