Geneforge 5 Modding Suite Demo

TheKian

Hello, all. Due to the present difficulty of modifying zones in Geneforge, I have been working on the wonderous Geneforge 5 Modding Suite program. At present, being a demo, it lacks full functionality, but it can be used to create a fully functional zone and can export data to a text file for use with the Blades of Geneforge spreadsheet document.

Feel free to give feedback, but remember that it's only a demo version (all versions will be free, of course).

This is the final demo version of the Geneforge 5 Modding Suite. Sometime in the future I will be releasing the full (still free) Shaper Edition 1.0.

Latest version. - Trakovite Edition v1.1c

Older Versions:

Download.

Other download.

Development photo album.

The GUI is fairly intuitive, but feel free to reply with any questions you have.

(On an aside, in their respective modes, you can right click on a tile to remove terrain, items, objects, and creatures)

Updates:

Trakovite Edition v1.1c: Updated save file format. Previous save files will not be compatible with this version, but all future save files will be backwards-compatible. Also added all other pieces of zone information, including world position, linked zones, world symbol, etc.

Trakovite Edition v1.1b: Added proper wall functionality. The two kinds of walls can be set to one of 11 options in the 'Edit Zone Data' panel. Tileset information now exports with custom data instead of preset biome-specific data.

Edited by TheKian

TheKian, I can't download the modding suite because dropbox tells me you've hit your traffic limit or something. Could you upload it somewhere else?

And may I suggest you add the link to this thread in your sig buddy. It's not everyday that we see this kind of tool.

Edited by alhoon

Suggestion: (minor) Make the batch file thing to say clearly that you need to put in the path without the exe file!

This works: "C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Geneforge\Geneforge 5 Expans"

This doesn't work: "C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Geneforge\Geneforge 5 Expans\Geneforge 5.exe"

Took me 4 tries. :(

Also, could it -save- the path somewhere? So I don't have to put it all the time?

Suggestion: (Major) minimap. I really think this awesome tool would be better with a minimap.

Suggestion: (Major) allow it to open zonelab txt files.

Bug: The tool doesn't parch anything beyond tile x=9 when I use it on an image and it returns weird results. Zonelab itself (the independent one) parches it correct). It parches all y tiles.

Love everything I see so far. You should email this to Jeff so he can make more games easier.

Question: Is the save functionality supposed to be working? Cause it doesn't work for me. :(

Edited by alhoon

Well, I mean, I did say "(The same directory as the Geneforge 5 executable)".

1. That is an intended future feature, but is less important than certain other features.

2. I may add a minimap later. Perhaps.

3. Zonelab text files won't be necessary when zonelab works properly in the program itself.

4. Now that I think about it, I may have changed the code calling it so that any creature/object tiles would not function correctly.

5. Saves aren't yet implemented. You will also eventually be able to import Geneforge 5 zone hex files.

Edited by TheKian

1 hour ago, TheKian said:

Well, I mean, I did say "(The same directory as the Geneforge 5 executable)".

5. Saves aren't yet implemented. You will also eventually be able to import Geneforge 5 zone hex files.

AWESOME.

That way manual changes I've made after the zone creation (which I make in part with zonelab in part with matlab) could be auto implemented. That is a very cool idea and would freaking simplify things for all those people (I hope there are many) that want to make mods and lack the necessary time to learn the blades of geneforge xls.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...