Request to use Blades of Exile graphics

Unbound Servile

Hello Spiderweb,

I am an aspiring programmer who would like to make his own game.

I have mastered numerous languages and coding is no issue for me.

One problem: I'm no Picasso; even pixel-art graphics are beyond me.

However, the user-made graphics for BoE found on truesite4blades/PixleProfusion would be perfect for the little engine I have written.

Am I allowed to use those graphics in anything but BoE at all?

If so, am I allowed to sell a program making use of those graphics (with or without disclaimers)?

Thanks for your time,

Unbound Servile.

If you download the development version of OBoE, labeled as experimental in the forum header, all included graphics are available under GNU GPL 3.0+, You can use them in accordance with that license. If it's a user-made graphic not included with that program, it is likely not available under a free license and may even be infringing on somebody's copyrights or trademarks itself.

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff

On 11/14/2017 at 2:29 AM, Unbound Servile said:

Thanks for shedding some light onto this. E-mailing every artist will not be a realistic job but I've looked up on that GPU GPL license, and it seems I'm indeed free to use and distribute OBOE. I've also gotten better at pixel-art and could soon be able to make my own graphics.

Hey, Could your "engine" be of any interest of a game? Like to test out?

I could post it on Github, but I am not sure it will be of interest, as you state it. Lately, I've stepped down from the concept of a game engine or any framework in favor for classes tuned exactly to my game's needs. I'm making a space shooter at the moment, so animations, for example, are fine-tuned to be applied to moving projectiles. Since characters will move around in space, their movement functions rely heavily on trigonometry, something an Exile-like game doesn't require. I could put all classes back into a framework (because that's basically what a "game engine" is) but whether you will find it of interest depends on what your expecations are. If you expect fancy renderers and full-fledged bounding algorithms you will be disappointed but if you'd like to use it as an example for your own games or experimentations or even use as a framework for your own game, you may like it. I have made a couple of small games in order to test out functions for my bigger projects. One of those smaller games is a space invaders clone in which the basics of game programming are presented. For game programming I use mainly Java as language (i've done some game programming in C++, Javascript and Python too, but I find Java best suited for small games). As a little footnote, all game elements (such as animations, moving characters, ...) are updated from a signle game-loop, with minimal threading, however, implementing threaded animations won't be difficult, since I use an OOP programming style. I would actually advise to whip up a program design specifically tuned to your game in question instead of using an engine, if it isn't a powerful, well equipped one. That's also the reason why I came here, to ask for graphics, because mine was perfectly suited for Exile-like graphics, but the game I'm making now requires radically diffrent classes, and I'm not for a chain of abstractions and interfaces to make it work. None the less, I'll be happy to share anything.

Edited by Unbound Servile