Nethergate: Resurrection resolution problem

googoogjoob

I got a new PC semi-recently and I just recently went to replay N:R, and have had some, uh. Difficulties, which are hard to describe very well, but bear with me.

My monitor is 16:10, native resolution 1680x1050. When I launch the game, it does not ask whether or not to change resolution (as the Geneforge games properly do on this PC), even if I delete the settings file. Instead, the game changes my screen resolution to 1280x720, with the game taking up the entire width of the screen, but squished drastically and very noticeably, with large letterbox bars taking up the rest of the screen above and below it. I can't take a screenshot of this, because it only screenshots the 1280x720 area of the screen, which is undistorted back to normal proportions afterwards, but here is a mockup of what I'm getting: (click)

This topic suggests that maybe this is intentional? But obviously the aspect ratio is wrong, and the game looks awful.

For reference, I am using 64-bit Windows 10, with a GeForce GTX 1050 graphics card. I'm using version 1.0.1b (as seen in screenshot) downloaded from the Humble site. No compatibility settings (disable DPI scaling, disable fullscreen optimizations, compatibility modes, etc) change this behavior.