Huzzah! I'm NOW Dr. Triumph! - edited

Triumph

Earlier today, six years and month or so after I started my PHD program, I finished the complete draft of my dissertation and sent it out to my committee. My major professor has already looked at it and said he likes it, so really nothing should stop me from graduating with my PHD this December (in my department, the dissertation defense is largely a formality, and if my major professor like my dissertation - as he does - then I will pass). The past several years have been really rough, physically and emotionally, and I've often doubted whether this day would ever come. But here it is! :D:D:D

As Slarty so punningly suggests, I studied history. My dissertation looks at the  wartime experiences / ideology / attitudes of junior officers in one of the Union armies in the Civil War.

The most fun I've seen at dissertation defenses is when the members of the committee start arguing with each other while the doctoral candidate quietly watches. Well, that and when the random professor who wasn't on the committee but showed up anyway asks a question completely out of left field that has absolutely no bearing on the dissertation, and you get to watch the candidate try to figure out how to diplomatically say "That's a dumb question that makes no sense in this context."

• 2 months later...
  • Triumph changed the title to Huzzah! I'm NOW Dr. Triumph! - edited

No, Randomizer's prognostication is accurate. :/ I want to teach college history, so that's what I'll be looking for. However, jobs are scarce and seem to be getting scarcer, so I'm open to other possibilities if an opportunity appears.

In the short-term, besides looking for jobs, I plan to work on fixing up my dissertation and trying to get it published.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...