Leveling Intelligence

WolfSpider

Intelligence gives the to hit for spells. It also increases the damage level.

Upgrading from an apprentice rod to a better rod or staff also increases the damage level.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. Rational thought only interferes  with your understanding. :)

Thank you.  Also I was reading builds for Shamans and although I like to play for the first time with out too many spoilers, I also do not like to have a poorly built character.  I was surprised to find a Shaman, which uses a lot if magic, needed to level up in Dex and End (5-1 ir 4-1) while Int basically took a back seat altogether.  Can anyone comfirm or deny?

Also I read some where you could just reroll your stats, but how does that work?  I leveled and then tried to go back to my character sheet screen, but I did not see anything to do that, such as plus and minuses?  Can you reroll once per gaining a new level or you have to talk to someone to do it or a totally different screen?  Thank you.

About halfway through the game, there is an NPC you can talk to that lets you retrain your characters. You can reassign all your points if you aren't happy with the way you built them. It resets the character to level 1, but you now have all the points you gained that can be added.

Shaman is funny it that one of the best spells is based off Dexterity instead of Intelligence. Intelligence is still important, but it depends upon whether you want to emphasize attack spells or summoning animals to help you fight.

Endurance is more important because a Shaman has the worst armor and resistances of any class. So even with the most health points, you take more damage.

12 minutes ago, WolfSpider said:

Thank you.  Also I was reading builds for Shamans and although I like to play for the first time with out too many spoilers, I also do not like to have a poorly built character.  I was surprised to find a Shaman, which uses a lot if magic, needed to level up in Dex and End (5-1 ir 4-1) while Int basically took a back seat altogether.  Can anyone comfirm or deny?

Dex-based shamans are a gimmick build that sorta works in Avadon 1 and 2 but not so much in Avadon 3. We're getting into kinda deep obscure mechanics discussion here, but the short version is that in the first two games, anything that did physical damage counted as a physical attack and anything that did elemental damage counted as magic (with the exception of scarabs, which worked differently). Shamans in the first two games had several spells that did physical damage; they technically counted as ranged physical attacks and therefore did damage based on Dexterity. Healing is completely independent of all stats and based only on level/skills/equipment, so you could make a Dex-based shaman who was a competent healer with a few strong attack options. In Avadon 3, there have been some changes to the code that determines what stat each attack is based off, so this doesn't work so well any more (and like I said, it was a bit of a gimmick to begin with).

Also I read some where you could just reroll your stats, but how does that work?  I leveled and then tried to go back to my character sheet screen, but I did not see anything to do that, such as plus and minuses?  Can you reroll once per gaining a new level or you have to talk to someone to do it or a totally different screen?  Thank you.

There's an NPC trainer available in each game, usually about halfway through, who lets you respec your stats and skills from scratch. There's also a cheat code that lets you do it at any time: hit the key combination shift-D and in the box that appears, enter the word retrain.

Thanks everyone for the quick and in-depth replies.  I guess since we are on a roll I will ask a few more here if you do not mind.

How can I control other characters, while they are already in my party?  I have a feeling I should probably read more of the hints guide in game, but I am currently away from it.  But I see no obvious way to make my warrior companion open a container of some sort.  Only my main who is a Shaman can I physically control and then I have to collect anything useful and then drop it on the ground and then allow for an inventory check and mass pick up of my other character.  It's a little awkward...

Also does simply carrying items on a person add weight to them at all?  My warrior was picking up quite a bit and even picked up heavy armour, but was not emcumbered what so ever until he actually donned it.  Do my characters carry magical bags of weightlessness regardless of size of items or is that a bug?

And finally for the time being at least, ^_^ can we attack or kill innocent unimportant NPCs, regardless of the repercussions?  Like a few prisoners on the first mission they were scattered and did not say much.  I generally play a middle of the road or good hearted character my first play through, but I had saved and then tried to attack, but it said I could not talk to them while in the combat mode.  Is there an over ride to still attack and kill what ever you want, or the game simply wont allow for it?  Thank you.

Edited by WolfSpider

If you click on the portrait of one of your characters it becomes the active character.  When you are in a character's inventory, you can click on an item, move the mouse to over another character's portrait and then click and the item will transfer inventories.  For ease of play, weight only counts for items that are equipped.  

1 hour ago, WolfSpider said:

And finally for the time being at least, ^_^ can we attack or kill innocent unimportant NPCs, regardless of the repercussions?

Nope, there's no override for this.  Older Spiderweb games let you do this.  My guess is that the option, while neat, may not (on the developer's end) be worth the potential it creates for broken events and quests.

5 hours ago, Edgwyn said:

If you click on the portrait of one of your characters it becomes the active character. 

Ahhh... I had tried that several times, but it was always my main character who would walk up to the container and, I had thought, automatically went to her inventory.

As far as the rest I had no idea, so thank you.  It makes gaming a lot easier. ^_^