What have you been eating recently?

Dintiradan

Today's episode of Eat It Before It Goes Bad stars "perogies", with special guests "half this bell pepper is mouldy" and "why do we have have so many partially-used red onions in the fridge".

(In the grand tradition of threads like What Have You Been Reading Recently and What Have You Been Listening To Recently, use this thread to talk about, well, food you've been eating recently. Drinks too; we're lenient like that. New recipe that you just tried out? Cooking advice? Fancy-pants restaurant that you just visited and want to brag about? Chat about it here!)

Eggs Greybright, a savory fried bread and eggs dish I'm working on, mostly settled but I need to fine-tune the proportions ofr ingredients. I eat it most days for breakfast. I'm also going to add one more touch that I used to love as a teenager, to make it more special.

Rinsed, reduced sodium canned beans, 2oz frozen ground beef, 1 lb. bag of frozen vegetables, with black and red pepper and extra virgin olive oil, maybe oregano or something.

Whole milk Greek yogurt with cinnamon, imitation vanilla flavor, and obscene amounts of unsweetened cocoa powder and aspartame.

Chicken. I enjoy chicken.

Lots of fruit and herbal tea by the pot.

McDonald's McDoubles and McChickens. I walk to and from McDonald's for 5 miles, and order just a McDouble or a McChicken three days, then a fancier sandwich as a reward for making it there all four days. I'm still eating at a big calorie deficit and working out my cardiovascular system, and eating the above meals most of the rest of the time keeps the sodium and other crap down.

I've lost 15 pounds in 2 months. Pretty happy about that.

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Today, I have eaten two nutrition shakes, an apple, and broccoli, tuna, and rice with cheese sauce. I will likely have a snack later this evening as well. Like ADoS, I am also eating at a calorie deficit.

Edit: I did have a snack. It was popcorn. 

Edited by Tyranicus

• 1 month later...

This summer I became the proud owner of a set of Chasseur cookware.

My favourite thing to cook is a variation of Normandy Pheasant.

So I begin by cooking a lot of onions, mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and maybe some parsley root in butter on a big pan. That goes into the bottom of the dutch oven. Then I season a chicken. Last time I seasoned it with sage, a bit of lemon pepper, rose pepper and thyme. Then I fill up the dutch oven with sliced apples. My mother in law was close to critical condition from overeating last time we brought her over. I also had some sourdough bread from some ridiculously overpriced and fancy bakery. Was worth it.

And then there's the wine. I very much prefer red wine, but I'll settle for obscene amounts of white wine or rose. 

I like ending an enormous meal with ice cream. Vanilla ice with strawberries and some warm chocolate sauce. Whipped cream, too.

Sure. Except not for the most recent holiday, because it was Yom Kippur, famously devoid of eating or drinking anything. So I guess I could say I religiously don't drink wine, but I probably wouldn't have anyway.

—Alorael, who encourages a return to regularly scheduled discussion of what everyone consumes, not just him. There's a whole world of nomming and guzzling to discuss!

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2017 at 12:56 AM, Redwyer said:

I have actually no idea what you mean.

Pythagoras was famously opposed to beans, and apocryphally let himself get murdered rather than fleeing through a bean field. A Pythagorean diet shuns meat, fish and beans. (I have no idea whether this was supposed to extend to other legumes like lentils, though.)

---

I've repeatedly been told that I don't eat very well (basically mostly sugar and cereal, because I'm too lazy to cook) and am at risk of inheriting my dad's type2 or at the very least become overweight in my thirties. Since I am in my thirties now, I've decided I should probably change my habits a bit. :/

One of my favorite easy recipes is an Andalusian tapas consisting of spinach and fried chickpeas. There are several recipes online and I don't really stick to any one of them, but these are some variants:

http://simpleveganblog.com/spanish-spinach-with-chickpeas/

http://spanishsabores.com/2014/08/17/espinacas-con-garbanzos-spinach-chickpeas/

(I usually just cook the spinach for a few minutes before transferring it to a pan with olive oil, adding the spices and chickpeas.)

During the week I eat one meal a day, dinner after work, that consists of basically red meat and non-starchy vegetables.  On Saturdays I also eat one meal a day, but it's more like 2 PM, and I may or may not have a light beer and some kind of low-carb snack in the evening.  Sundays I usually have two meals, the first some kind of omelette or something for breakfast, and then more meat and green vegetables later.  Sometimes I have chicken instead of/in addition to the red meat.  Basically, I do "keto" and "intermittent fasting" (but I don't fast really on Sundays).  

For an example, yesterday (Friday) I worked from 6AM to 430 PM, then had a bunch of shawarma.  Actually no veggies yesterday.   Today (Saturday) I had a salad that was a bed of lettuce, roasted peppers, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, steak, and chicken... and then I had a can of bud light while I tried to write some roleplay.   Tomorrow (Sunday) I'm going to have eggs and bratwurst for breakfast, and probably a whole chicken for dinner, and then no more food until after work on Monday.

I have tried out a recipe for a sort of low-carb protein "bread". (In quotes because it doesn't actually contain flour.)

The ingredients per loaf are 50g each of wheat bran, unflavored protein powder (whey probably, though I've used hemp, which also tastes fine), crushed linseed and minced walnut, 2 eggs, and 250g of Quark, baked at ~180°C for 30min.

It tastes pretty good and keeps surprisingly well despite the dairy/egg. (It's also very filling, unsurprisingly.)

Generally I just make random American food that's not all that hard to cook, mostly based on what I feel like buying. My daily routine taking me past a grocery store means I generally just buy what I feel like I want on any given day rather than stocking up too much, which is both good (very little waste) and bad. (not many random ingredients sitting around, usually) Macaroni and cheese is probably one of my staples, though. I usually just make a boxed dinner one with extra stuff added (usually feta cheese and sriracha), but occasionally I feel like making a cheese sauce myself instead.

Aran's bread sounds pretty good.

Generally I just make random American food that's not all that hard to cook, mostly based on what I feel like buying. My daily routine taking me past a grocery store means I generally just buy what I feel like I want on any given day rather than stocking up too much, which is both good (very little waste) and bad. (not many random ingredients sitting around, usually) Macaroni and cheese is probably one of my staples, though. I usually just make a boxed dinner one with extra stuff added (usually feta cheese and sriracha), but occasionally I feel like making a cheese sauce myself instead.

Aran's bread sounds pretty good.

• 1 month later...

i made stuffing for the family christmas dinner but i went a little overboard and it turned into more of a stuffing-themed pilaf

i started with this recipe but used black rice, replaced the pears with almonds and dried berries, and adjusted some of the cooking times and ingredient proportions a little

anyway there was nothing obviously wrong with the end product and it tasted like food so i'll count that as a success

Wow.  Have been eating much of what everyone else has been eating.  Lots of spinach and lentils.  Tofu mixes (picky about the tofu). Get the sauces at Fresh Market.  But I am in NOLA and certainly appreciate the food.  Oysters are wonderful here.  I eat well so I can have fried oysters.  I have matzo soup handy for any ailments.  Lots of brie cheese.  (I try not to!).  I love my kefir and cottage cheese.  But I try to source responsibly. Love corn soups.  Pain to cook.  I have eaten everything by the time the food is done!

On 12/20/2017 at 2:06 PM, fenzil said:

Suddenly got the urge for hot sauce, even though I’ve hardly eaten anything spicy in my life. So I walked out to the dollar store and picked up some Frank’s Red Hot. I love the heat but I’m not a fan of the flavor.

Any recommendations on what to pick up next? Is Sriracha good?

The best flavored hot sauces are probably Sriracha and Cholula.  

Save the Frank's for perhaps some chicken or stir fry.  It's good heat but works best in stuff that will mask the taste.  

Tabasco is not my go-to but it's good on pizza.  Tapatio is good in enchilada dishes.  

• 4 months later...

Sammiches toasted in butter, tuna sammiches, peanut butter and jelly sammiches, spam and cheese sammiches. Just sammiches, many, many sammiche's. Fried in butter just glob a tablespoon into the skillet. and "ttshhh" got a hot crunchy sammich. What could be better? I have breakfast sammiches, lunch special sammiches, and of course for dinner, two sammiches. Once again, toasted/fried in butter. It's what elvis ate, and that's good enough for me.

The millennial meme put me on a belated avocado toast bender. You know what? Avocados are pretty cheap, bread is pretty cheap, and the results are delicious.

—Alorael, who started out doing fancy things like rubbing garlic on the toasted bread and garnishing with various spices. Now it's avocado mashed with a fork, bread turned crunchy in an oven, and chow time.

I've never gotten the appeal of avocados. It's just tasteless filler to me, certainly not bad, but nothing good about it either. Maybe it's a cilantro-esque thing where people get different flavours out of it?

Today was "guess I have to do something about this half-finished can of diced tomatoes". Thaw a chicken breast, pat dry, rub with Italian seasoning, sear four minutes a side. Add chopped onion and crushed garlic, saute for a couple minutes. Then add the diced tomatoes plus some basil (fresh if at all possible, because fresh basil is Best Herb) and simmer for ten minutes. All told, takes twenty minutes, which means rice is a great side. Butterfly the chicken if you're in a hurry, I guess? It's a good base recipe that can be modified easily. Alas, family does not like the spicy variants.

I love avocados, but probably for different reason than most people love them.  In the past year I've lost about 40 lbs by eating a super low carb diet.  I limit my carbs to about 20g per day, try for 120-150g protein, and get the rest from fat.  If I'm getting close to my carb limit and protein goal but I'm still hungry, an avocado is a great way to eat more fat and get that sweet, sweet, satiety.  They don't taste like much but I don't need them to.

• 9 months later...

A bit old, but still on the first page so...  I have recently been eating a British WW2 diet for the most part.  Not quite, as in I do not count to the very last tablespoon or gram of what you can have in one weeks ration as was done back then with the coupon/point system, but I have severally limited my meat, fat and sugar portions, even cut back in salt, although that last bit is more me than the rationing system .  I have been eating a whole lot more of veggies and fruits and different varieties, opposed to just the few I like the most.  Sales help my hand in that as in if something is too expensive in my mind I will simply buy something else and they tend to rotate so I guess that is even better and a different way of thinking of things.  Some times I will simply go for the healthier alternative like olive oil instead of the butter though, just because I do have it readily available.  They ate a lot of butter, margarine and lard back then before the war.

Surprisingly the system worked quite well and helped the British people have a healthier life style, even healthier than before the war and it was made in such a way that you could not just buy it all up, the rationed stuff anyway and the prices were heavily controlled as well.  So even the poor had enough to eat.  America and Canada helped a lot with food convoys and the British farmers were asked to not only double and triple production, but even quadruple by the end of the war.  What was so strange though was that although some things like meats, butter and sugar were rationed at the start of the war, bread was never rationed until after the war and the rationing system itself did not end until 1954.  That is quite a few years after the war itself.  There are a few factors for that, some understandable, some not so much, more controlling by government and some because Britain owed the US money for the war effort and had/wanted to pay the debt back.

Regardless all the research I have been doing on YouTube and the internet in general all point to people being healthier due to the point rationing diet.  And these were not starvation rations mind you, just not all the "tasty" things people were and I guess now are used too.  I even eat raw carrots plain with no dressing, which is something I simply never cared for before and trying different fruits and vegetables for the most part is a fun experience.  Broadens your horizons.  I have not touched a soda in... months.

Edited by WolfSpider

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:37 AM, Rhinestone Jedi said:

I love avocados, but probably for different reason than most people love them.  In the past year I've lost about 40 lbs by eating a super low carb diet.  I limit my carbs to about 20g per day, try for 120-150g protein, and get the rest from fat.  If I'm getting close to my carb limit and protein goal but I'm still hungry, an avocado is a great way to eat more fat and get that sweet, sweet, satiety.  They don't taste like much but I don't need them to.

Add a bit of lemon juice to it which not only adds vitamin C, but also helps it from changing color so quickly.  Also adding raw garlic will give it more flavor and is even healthier for you.  Avocados are amazing in salads.  Gives it a rich creamy texture.

• 2 years later...

Why start a new thread when an old one will do the trick? They say that threads lose half their value when you drive them off the lot, but I say that used threads are still worth something. Especially when they're my used threads.

I've made fried plantains a couple times this past month, and I've been... underwhelmed? They weren't bad or anything, but I've heard people go on about them as if they were ambrosia, and I found them just... fine. Am I missing some crucial step (cut into thin slices and soaked in cold water + salt + garlic powder for an hour-ish, then fried in vegetable oil with some extra salt sprinkled on)? Or should I be trying some other form of plantain dish?

I made a double batch of saltwater taffy for a family gathering this weekend, stealing this recipe. Some lessons learned: add the food colouring before you pour the mixture into the cooling pans, because if you mix it in the cooling pans it will be a lot harder to pry the cooled taffy out. Also you have to figure out the precise amount of butter to grease your hands with when pulling, because too much and the taffy won't recombine, and too little and you'll end up a sticky mess. Oh, and you'll have to regrease your hands constantly. My biggest mistake was trying to be fancy and make a design with two different colours mixed. The two strands wouldn't stick together at first (too much butter on my hands?), and by the time I got it into a single rope most of it had turned into a wholly unappetizing grey. If anyone has any suggestions for this I'm all ears. Taste-wise it was a smash hit. Using rum extract (all I had in the house) made them taste like Werther's Original.

I drink a lot of tapwater, seltzer and diet soda, and strong coffee with whole Lactaid twice a day. At least one banana a day. On Mondays when I go to the supermarket, I get either rotisserie chicken legs, a rotisserie turkey thigh, or sushi (this supermarket has an in-house sushi chef). I go for a long walk to another supermarket twice a week for exercise, and get some dried fruit and either cheese or cold cuts for lunch. Other than those three meals, I feed myself only Soylent (a powdered food) with a little bit of flavoring.

Pretty simple diet, but I find it satisfying enough. And I feel a lot better physically. I'm hoping this will help me stay healthier and lose weight. I weigh 330 lbs and I hate it. Luckily my partners all seem to like the "dad bod" thing, but I really don't. The "dad bod" is painful. People call it the "dad bod" but for most people it's the "doesn't know how to take care of themself and is hurtling toward an early death bod". And my dad was a bodybuilder. I've also cut out gluten, hoping it would help my inflamed colon. It hasn't, but doctors have been telling me to avoid bread for many years anyway, so it's certainly not hurting me.

Edited by The Almighty Doer of Stuff

• 1 month later...