Avernum 3 remake release date?

While he hasn't mentioned anything date wise, he just confirmed to me in an email yesterday that it was coming out early 2018.

Here's part of the mail chain where he confirms it. It looks a little weird with the recipient because I sent an original email to the support email, which was then forwarded to Jeff's email, and he replied to it, and bcc'ed me (it looks like),

http://i.imgur.com/KfTbsv9.png

Specifically, that confirms the iPad release is early 2018.  In the past desktop releases have come out at least a few months before iPad releases, though it's always possible that can change (especially given that SW's attitude towards iPad development has been fluctuating).

Ah ok. I hope he releases them all on iPad. I don't know, it's all a bit too tiny for me on  normal 1080p monitors, but the 13 inch screen is just fitting. The text is no longer tiny, and I don't need glasses to spot things on the ground. I vastly prefer the iPad releases for that reason. Well that and it's just nice to have a game that's as engaging as these types of games on an iPad.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys - I am a little confused.

I see Avernum 6 on the AppStore and also Avernum 1 and 2.

So it seems 6 is part of another trilogy?

Would it run any story / plot line elements to play 1,2 and 6 and then Avernum 3 when it is release for iPAD?

Or would it be better to wait for Avernum 3 after finishing 1 and 2?

By way of background: There are two Avernum trilogies: the First Avernum Trilogy and the Second Avernum Trilogy. Unsurprisingly, the former is Avernums 1-3, and the latter is Avernums 4-6. The First Avernum Trilogy has gone through a series of remakes. It was originally Exile 1, 2, and 3. Then it was remade into Avernum 1, 2, and 3. (After this, the Second Avernum Trilogy was released.) Now, there is a new series of remakes: Avernum: Escape From the Pit, Avernum 2: Crystal Souls, and the upcoming Avernum 3 remake. 

As far as what spoils what, there is a central mystery in Avernum 3 that later Avernum games may mention the answer to, so that's a possible spoiler. Avernum 4 definitely gives away what happens in Avernum 3; I don't remember if later games do. (I don't think Avernum 6 does, but I couldn't promise that.)

In general, I'd recommend playing in order (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) if possible, but if you're playing on iPad, Avernum 4 and Avernum 5 are not going to be on iPad any time soon. Playing 6 without 4 and 5 is possible; a few things won't make perfect sense, but most things will.

So, bottom line, you'd be okay playing in the order 1, 2, 6, 3, although if you can stand to wait after finishing Avernum 1 and 2 and if you can stand to play on a computer for Avernum 4 and 5, I'd recommend 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like the Avernum 3 remake will come out on January 31, 2018 - at least on PC. I hope Jeff will remake the Geneforge games - especially the first two, after this. They could definitely use a more modern UI and improved graphics palette.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/691830/Avernum_3_Ruined_World/

4 hours ago, wasbear said:

Well, it looks like the Avernum 3 remake will come out on January 31, 2018 - at least on PC. I hope Jeff will remake the Geneforge games - especially the first two, after this. They could definitely use a more modern UI and improved graphics palette.

Hooray, it's happening! The graphics in the intro to that video brought me back ... I remember very similar visuals in Exile III.

On 9/13/2017 at 0:24 AM, wasbear said:

Well it's about time! Can't wait. Gives me an excuse to play Avernum 1 and 2 again

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Randomizer said:

Yes *Bwahahahaha*

Randomizer, I curious, how restrictive is the time limit in the Avernum 3 remake? I'm planning on playing a singleton again, probably on Torment, and I envision a lot of running back and forth from dungeon to town to regenerate. Is it pretty easy to get locked out of quests/merchants or did Jeff relax the time restrictions?

I don't really know if he kept the same 180 day limit since he doesn't have the number in the dialogue text, but I did two torment singleton runs in less than that, the last as Anama. As long as you watch it you can do it in less.

You waste time running around to do job board delivery quests for money.  It may seem slow at the start running back to regenerate in town, but after a few plague quests you can do dungeons quicker with energy elixirs and speed up.

1 hour ago, wasbear said:

Randomizer, I curious, how restrictive is the time limit in the Avernum 3 remake? I'm planning on playing a singleton again, probably on Torment, and I envision a lot of running back and forth from dungeon to town to regenerate. Is it pretty easy to get locked out of quests/merchants or did Jeff relax the time restrictions?

Excuse my ignorance, but I haven't played Avernum 3 before. What is a "time limit"?

Spiderweb's website says,

Avernum 3: Ruined World is now out for Windows and Macintosh! At last, your people are emerging from their underground prison, only to find that the surface world is being destroyed by plagues of bizarre beasts. Fight to save your homeland, while you still have a homeland to return to.

Enjoy a massive old-school RPG with a huge world and rich game system! Try out the big demo!

There aren't any links for the download. Odd.

Edit: The date on the site has been changed to reflect that it'll be available on January 31st.

Edited by BloomingLilac

Singleton builds are more concentrated on spell attacks since you can easily get energy elixirs and gain levels early in the game. Physical attacks are only good if you have the right weapon with bonuses.

I mean once you get up to level 30 a lot of things become trivial and you can do that before fighting the Troglodytes and Giants.

2 hours ago, Randomizer said:

I don't really know if he kept the same 180 day limit since he doesn't have the number in the dialogue text, but I did two torment singleton runs in less than that, the last as Anama. As long as you watch it you can do it in less.

You waste time running around to do job board delivery quests for money.  It may seem slow at the start running back to regenerate in town, but after a few plague quests you can do dungeons quicker with energy elixirs and speed up.

Hi, casual player here, I just play for the story mainly.

Since you have already played the game, can we expect another "Items to keep" thread for this game when it releases? It made my playthrough of the previous 2 games very enjoyable~

2 hours ago, Painted Lady said:

Excuse my ignorance, but I haven't played Avernum 3 before. What is a "time limit"?

For example there are certain dates when more or less big things happen and player needs to attend those and other things which are spoily stuff if hasn't played Exile/Avernum 3 before remake. Basically if spends too much time doing sidequests bad things happen.

1 minute ago, Earth Empires said:

For example there are certain dates when more or less big things happen and player needs to attend those and other things which are spoily stuff if hasn't played Exile/Avernum 3 before remake. Basically if spends too much time doing sidequests bad things happen.

Building off of this, there will be at least one warning that something very bad will happen to a certain place; ideally, this will give you ample time to wrap up any sidequests in the aforementioned place before the very bad thing happens. Of course, towns will start to show wear and ruin over time if you dilly-dally as was promoted on the game's page, and I don't think there are warnings for that.

1 hour ago, appleliver said:

Hi, casual player here, I just play for the story mainly.

Since you have already played the game, can we expect another "Items to keep" thread for this game when it releases? It made my playthrough of the previous 2 games very enjoyable~

There aren't too many items to keep and most are available shortly after getting the quests. There will be a list for those that want to carry them around.

1 hour ago, Earth Empires said:

Okay, so this is unique to Avernum 3? Does it make it impossible to be a completionist? And, does the timer run more quickly on the higher difficulties?

14 minutes ago, Painted Lady said:

Okay, so this is unique to Avernum 3? Does it make it impossible to be a completionist? And, does the timer run more quickly on the higher difficulties?

Yes, Avernum 3 (and its predecessor Exile 3) is the only full-length Spiderweb game with story-wide timed events.

If you played quickly and efficiently enough, it was feasible to resolve every timed event before things started getting worse than the initial state, at which point you could dawdle as much as you wanted. It might be a little tricky to do a "perfect" run like that on a first playthrough without prior knowledge of where to go and what to do. However, depending on your definition of "completionist", even an imperfect run where you let some of the timers run down a bit could still be a completionist run; it was rare for quests to be locked off entirely by timed events, so if you just care about doing every quest you could still do that without having to rush. On the other hand, if your definition of a completionist run is one where you see every single line of text in the game in a single playthrough, that's probably less realistic, since there are variations in dialogue depending on whether things have gotten Bad or are still Less Bad and some of those might be mutually exclusive.

The timers were unaffected by difficulty level in the original Avernum 3, and I'd be very surprised if they were affected by difficulty in the remake, since I don't see how having the timing of story events depend on difficulty level would be compatible with being able to change difficulty level at any time during play.

12 hours ago, Lilith said:

The timers were unaffected by difficulty level in the original Avernum 3, and I'd be very surprised if they were affected by difficulty in the remake, since I don't see how having the timing of story events depend on difficulty level would be compatible with being able to change difficulty level at any time during play.

They aren't

However on harder difficulties you take a little longer to do things so you see the timer effects more often with cities destroyed and minor NPCs getting killed off because you haven't acted.  Major NPCs that give quests are still alive, but get moved to different locations the longer you take.