Clicking Squares

I just bought Escape from the Pit and I am enjoying it a great deal, but I am having one huge complication. It is almost impossible to click the square directly above a character on the battle grid. Even when my mouse is nowhere near the character, it still highlights the character, and I have to fish at the edges of the square hoping for the cursor to notice I want to click there.

So I came to ask the pros if there are any tricks to help or resolve this issue.

This is the Windows Steam version.

There is an option (that is set ON by default I believe) to move with the arrow keys. It's a bit tricky to use at first but more precise than the mouse. To move diagonally hit both direction keys at once, it doesn't take up 2 movement points.

If you're like me and use the arrow keys to scroll the map, I usually find the left corner of the square is the best place to click to move. Save often and take your time before moving; I've frequently sent my characters into the middle of battle instead of casting fireball.

Unfortunately, "fishing at the edges" is exactly what the pros do.

This is one of a few interface issues that gets discussed with every new Spiderweb release, but that have persisted for years.  I assume that Spiderweb knows about them and that there just isn't an easy answer given the way they have things set up.  It really is too bad.  On the plus side, you do get used to it, at least somewhat, after a while.

• 2 weeks later...