Ranging Finding in Avernum: Escape

Hey folks!

Exile III was one of my favorite games of my childhood, and I wanted to get back into the series and check out the rework. Then I realized there was a rework of the rework! While this engine is far better than the Nethergate engine, there are some distinct frustrations, the most prominent being this:

How can I check before firing a ranged weapon/spell (or for that matter, charging forth for melee) if I will be in range for an attack before running out of AP?

Exile had a targeting reticle that showed both range and area of effect, but this engine seems to just Try Hard to get you into position to shoot...

Honestly, I think he never should have left the original 2D engine, but here we are. Any advice?

You sort of get used to it and then you find out the patching AI does weird things. I learned to count squares on the terrain and move my characters in small steps.

The later games change the cursor so you can tell when you are in missile range and the last game, Avadon 3, shows the path when moving to melee.

Bah. But good to know the later games have been updated at least. As Exile III was my favorite of anything Jeff has created, my hope is that Avernum: Ruined World will have a solid interface.

Another Interface question: There doesn't seem to be a "look" or "search" button any more, even though there are obvious signs to read. Am I missing something, or is that just visual fluff now?

Edit: Ha, I just noticed the black box at the bottom. Not a particular fan of automated interaction, but oh well.