Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Chessrook44

This might seem like a silly request but I'd appreciate it if you, at some point, went back and labelled your videos by "Scenario X Part Y" or whatnot. This is a pretty impressive effort and I wouldn't mind going through a bunch of it eventually but I also want to know what I'd be looking at if I jumped around in episodes.

On 5/30/2017 at 10:53 AM, Kelandon said:

And, finally, what about losing an 80% chance of 1-15 + 20 points of protection from damage? (It's a shield, so it has only an 80% chance of protecting.) Well, the average protection per blow is 22.4. That's not nothing, but again, we have to figure out exactly how consequential that actually is.

Also to pick on Kelandon from much earlier in the thread, it actually stops an average of 14.8 damage because bonus values for armor don't work the way they claim to. ;)

8 hours ago, lmban said:

This might seem like a silly request but I'd appreciate it if you, at some point, went back and labelled your videos by "Scenario X Part Y" or whatnot. This is a pretty impressive effort and I wouldn't mind going through a bunch of it eventually but I also want to know what I'd be looking at if I jumped around in episodes.

Not silly at all.  I've considered it, and the main reason I haven't done it is because it would make the titles ridiculously long.  And it's already pretty damn long.

Time to enter this fortress, and find what we want stealthily...

[Starts randomly opening and slamming doors.]

https://youtu.be/dK3G86VEMko

Shipwrecked wasn't ever properly finished. I do believe it's perfectly finishable, though you'd probably be better off taking a party that finished Canopy or Bahssikava into it - I thought the recommended level was 70, but I got it confused with Seletine's other scenario.

If you want to complete the grove quest, visit with a character with Arcane Lore 15, then return to Danor.

Edited by lmban

cast-enduring-barrier.jpg

Since you insisted. ;) Honestly, winning obnoxious outdoor encounters like this one is hard, since you have to go into them without anything in the way of buffs other than Enduring Barrier, and (as you saw) you start out in a position to potentially get wiped out in the first round. Having a few of the good buffing potions (heroic brew, potion of invulnerability) on hand can help with situations like this, as can daily abilities like the ones from... Natural Warrior / Divinely Touched? It's been most of a decade since I last played BoA... as can throwing down Arcane Shield lv3+ to make some of your people invulnerable and hoping that the AI wastes attacks on them.

Edited by lmban

When the number of monsters reaches the amount and lethality that they can down three of you in one round and you can't even down ONE in the same amount of time, that's too powerful in my opinion.

We arrive upon an island on which there was a mysterious murder.  And we are to find the murderers!

https://youtu.be/tg1lbA49MJs

EDIT: A Good Beginning, Part 1

yay, you're playing my scenarios!

first, wow, i really need to go back and rewrite big chunks of a good beginning...

secondly, while i wouldn't want to tell you how to play your game, you've probably noticed that i like to cram text ~~everywhere~~. while watching the above videos i noticed that you've been skipping things like ovens, shelves, cabinets, etc... pretty much anything you can look at will have text and (imo) you're missing out on some good stuff there. for the first few scenarios i made it isn't as over-the-top, but looking in all those places is pretty vital for the atmosphere-building in a couple of my later scenarios (the eternal, twilight valley, out of sight).

edit: oh hey you looked in the library in the second video. sorry,

Also. Watching that last video I saw you got an error on a graphic? 510? 

There isn't anything in the scenario data script that calls that sheet - and so naturally the sheet doesn't exist. I just pulled the scenario from http://blades.nethergate.net/ and couldn't replicate the error, even after following the steps you took in your game. 

Are you using the latest version of the scenario, from http://blades.nethergate.net/? Would you mind posting the contents of the file "beginningdata.txt" here in the forums so I can see what the issue is?

EDIT: Okay. When the error appears, at 26:10 in the video, there is clearly a wooden keg visible on screen. I'm not sure how this got here, because I didn't place it, but I bet it has something to do with the error. THIS is what the entire town looks like. (Spoilers, I guess.) There's no keg there.

I'm not sure how, but I'm going to assume that you've gotten hold of a version of the scenario somebody has played around with? Sorry about that. The versions hosted by Tyran should work fine. 

Yes, it is indeed the most recent version.  You'll find the contents of the file in the following spoiler.

Spoiler

beginscendatascript;

//**TERRAIN**
begindefineterrain 122;
    import = 144;
    te_name = "Grassy Floor";
    te_which_sheet = 500;
    te_which_icon = 0;
begindefineterrain 123;
    te_which_icon = 1;

begindefineterrain 340;
    import = 125;
    te_name = "Raised Pool";
    te_which_sheet = 500;
    te_which_icon = 5;

begindefineterrain 421;
    import = 153;
    te_name = "Outdoor Trees";
    te_which_sheet = 501;
    te_which_icon = 0;
begindefineterrain 422;
    te_which_icon = 1;
begindefineterrain 424;
    te_which_icon = 3;
begindefineterrain 426;
    te_which_icon = 5;
begindefineterrain 427;
    te_which_sheet = 500;
    te_which_icon = 3;

begindefineterrain 423;
    import = 144;
    te_name = "Outdoor Bushes";
    te_which_sheet = 501;
    te_which_icon = 2;
begindefineterrain 425;
    te_which_icon = 4;

begindefineterrain 390;
    import = 125;
    te_name = "Crystal";
    te_which_sheet = 500;
    te_which_icon = 2;
     te_can_look_at = 0;
     te_anim_steps = 0;
     te_shimmers = 1;
     te_light_radius = 2;

begindefineterrain 391;
    import = 335;
    te_name = "Large Crystal";
    te_which_sheet = 500;
    te_which_icon = 7;
    te_second_icon = 6;
    te_anim_steps = 0;
    te_shimmers = 1;
    te_light_radius = 2;

begindefineterrain 175;
    import = 202;
    te_name = "Locker";
    te_which_sheet = 500;
    te_which_icon = 8;
begindefineterrain 176;
    te_name = "Locker";
    te_which_icon = 9;    

begindefineterrain 124;
    import = 125;
    te_name = "Sleeping dog";
    te_which_sheet = 500;
    te_which_icon = 4;
    te_can_look_at = 1;

begindefineterrain 429;    //Thanks Luz
    import = 268;
    te_name = "Fiery Portal";
    te_which_sheet = 505;
    te_which_icon = 4;
    te_second_icon = 0;
    te_second_icon_offset_y = -27;

begindefineterrain 430;
    import = 0;
    te_name = "";
    te_swap_terrain = 269;
    te_can_look_at = 1;

//ITEMS

begindefineitem 450;
    import = 56;
    it_name = "Vlad";
    it_full_name = "Vlad";

//**CREATURES**

//Strength = 6
//Dexterity = 6
//Intelligence = 8
//Endurance = 8
//All Weapons Skills = 4

begindefinecreature 240;
    import = 46;
    cr_name = "Trapped Shade";
    cr_default_script = "abilnpc";
    cr_level = 8;
    cr_default_attitude = 4;
    cr_ap_bonus = 2;
    cr_default_strategy = 1;
    cr_which_sheet  = 503;
    cr_immunities 0 = 25;
    cr_immunities 1 = 50;
    cr_immunities 2 = 50;
    cr_immunities 3 = 50;
    cr_immunities 4 = 0;
    cr_immunities 5 = 0;

I also DO eventually realize the amount of information in everything and soon start checking everything.

Well, I admit that is NOT something I saw coming...

https://youtu.be/BEf9W4L8xPw

On 10/24/2017 at 9:29 AM, nikki. said:

I noticed that even though you had a key to pass the magical runes in Bluebird, you didn't? There were a couple of spellbooks down there IIRC, and some scrolls.

I admit.... completely forgot about it.  Guess I got distracted.

Another scenario begin, as for once, we're on a different side...

https://youtu.be/l4BlEoUGSNg

EDIT: The Empire's New Grove, Part 1

That fight *is* tough. One thing I found was that using the ranged weapons you were given at the beginning of the scenario really helps - you can stay back and kill the damage-dealers first, before hitting the melee attackers after.

It is possible to beat it with a level one party, but my aim was to make it difficult. You're bandits. You're lacking the best weapons, decent armour, and probably any kind of training. Bandits in the Empire/Avernum are always low-level mobs that you usually tear through, and I wanted to demonstrate that. Having one casualty is probably an appropriate loss, since it's a level one party and you're not attached to it.

That said, I might go back and tweak the stats of some of these enemies all the same.