Let's Play Blades of Avernum!

Chessrook44

I just checked CSR, and apparently Lazarus felt that the ending was one of the high points. Nik also liked it, but almost everyone else didn't. Grimm said that TM admitted that he ended it there because he just didn't feel like writing more, which I don't remember but which may be true.

I was curious about something else, so I checked if my review is up there, and it is. I guess I slammed Canopy pretty hard when it came out. My review — which is listed as "from an unknown reviewer" but literally refers to being the person who designed Bahssikava — is not especially positive. Be that as it may, Canopy was a huge influence on Exodus, as I mentioned above.

3 hours ago, Kelandon said:

My review — which is listed as "from an unknown reviewer" but literally refers to being the person who designed Bahssikava — is not especially positive.

I just fixed that. The review is now properly attributed. I copied over hundreds of reviews for that project. I wasn’t actually reading them all, especially that one, which was particularly lengthy. :p

Yay! I'm famous now!

You're right, I didn't touch on secret doors at all in the tutorial. Didn't even think of it, to be honest, but personally I don't think it's good design to use them anyway (fite me).

Re: Canopy: I remember digging the setting and feel of early Canopy, a lot more than I did TM's other scenarios as of 2005. I know I didn't finish it, but I made the effort of going through the scripts and trying to figure out things from there. It was... perplexing.

On 8/17/2017 at 12:43 PM, Dintiradan said:

You're right, I didn't touch on secret doors at all in the tutorial. Didn't even think of it, to be honest, but personally I don't think it's good design to use them anyway (fite me).

My stance on secret doors is: They are a good choice for optional progression, NOT a good choice for mandatory progression unless hinted at.  I.E. Good for extra loot or secret spells that aren't necessary to progress, bad if the only way you can complete the story is by finding a secret door that has no clue or indication of its existence (I'm looking at you, Bahssikava!).

Fear may be the mind-killer, but we can conquer it!  Right?

https://youtu.be/-g_GLbFxdE0

EDIT: Aphobia

"Aphobia" is Greek for "fearlessness", or something like that. Think of words like atypical, asymmetrical, asexual etc. So, no. The scenario was not misnamed. Although, to be fair I too think of it as A(rachno)phobia, but you can't really name the scenario "Arachnophobia" since that would give away everything really.

Incidentally, I was wrong. Emerald Mountain is also in the Echoes setting. I had this vague memory that it was, but I couldn't remember exactly how, and I just found it (and you just encountered it in the last episode): the log book. The references there to importing stuff from Krizsan to an imperial research facility mark it as very likely Echoes-based as well. As with the others, I don't know that it makes much of a difference, but it is there.

As I've mentioned, Emerald Mountain was my favorite early TM scenario. It was probably less of an influence on me than Canopy was — Exodus was a direct response to Canopy — but I think a lot of my expectations as a player when I was testing Bahssikava were set by Emerald Mountain. The combats are on the harder side, and I liked that, so I made the combats in Bahs also on the harder side. (Although, seriously, in that last one, all you have to do is enter combat mode, bless and haste, and heal at appropriate moments. It's really not as hard as you made it out to be.)

You're not missing much. Some time after Bonus Army was released, Lilith uploaded a .wav of her saying "Bonus Army" in a long drawn-out fashion. Think of it as a proto-"Longest Yeah Boy Ever". A couple years later, the .wav was (re?)discovered, and the Shadow Vale gang decided to do their own versions of the clip. Most of the links are 404s now, but the ones that are still around are Aran's, mine, and (my favourite) Niemand's.

On 8/29/2017 at 8:25 AM, Dintiradan said:

You're not missing much. Some time after Bonus Army was released, Lilith uploaded a .wav of her saying "Bonus Army" in a long drawn-out fashion. Think of it as a proto-"Longest Yeah Boy Ever". A couple years later, the .wav was (re?)discovered, and the Shadow Vale gang decided to do their own versions of the clip. Most of the links are 404s now, but the ones that are still around are Aran's, mine, and (my favourite) Niemand's.

I'd never heard Niemand's version! I have the other two bookmarked, along with the greatest thing to ever come from the BoA community.

They're after us, they're ALL after us... what more can we do?  Stand and fight?

https://youtu.be/j9Kt3aBMORM

((As of time of uploading, processing is frozen and having trouble finishing.  Hopefully it works soon.))

((EDIT: The link should work now.))

Edited by Chessrook44