About the boss in the Beraza Woods *spoilers*

Oneiros

Just went through that scene on a replay....his main spiel is to justify his earlier rebellion. At first he was loyal to the Pact; then he thought the pact was rotten and doomed to fail, so he decided to look out for his own country by joining forces with Dheless. He claims that his own betrayal was the very thing that "brought the pact together"...and laments the fact that he won't get any credit for it, as he thinks the Pact will now be strong for centuries thanks to him. With the right answers you can talk his invitation out of him (just convince him your loyalty is to the Pact, not to Avadon, and that you are hoping to make peace instead of slaughter)...but if you do that he escapes alive.

I just hit this point on my (very slow) first time through the game. I figured out the dialogue options to get what I want without a fight, but then I decided to try the fight. It was a little strange — I managed to whittle down his guards, killing one, before two of my party members died and the third ran out of view, ended combat, revived the other two, and we retreated to the other area. Only two guards followed, so I killed them individually and then went back to deal with Gryfyn. He ran out of one wand and I killed him before he could run out of the other wand.

On the dialogue rather than the fight: Gryfyn seems delusional. He's taking credit for the accidental benefits of the war. He intended to destroy the Pact and accidentally made it stronger, and now he's lamenting that he will never get credit for making the Pact stronger. I wanted to shout at him, "That's because you didn't try to make the Pact stronger! It was totally unintentional!"

But killing him for betraying the Pact was satisfying enough, even if I couldn't shout at him in the game.

To me she was just so hungry for vengeance that she was willing to sacrifice several countries to war, domination by the Tawon Empire, or destruction by the Corruption...just to get back at Redbeard. At least in this game you find out just what got her so all-fired upset. And even do something about it...regardless of how you come down on Redbeard.