Call to Action. Alexandria needs your help.

Balladeer

I have gone through Alexandria and the rest of the web searching for those scenarios that are missing. There are many and I need your help. In order for Alexandria to be searchable, each scenario needs lots of information submitted with it. Please help me gather all the information needed for each of these scenarios and submit them to Alex. When you have submitted all the information for one post it and I will remove that scenario from the list. Together by doing one at a time, we can help bridge the gap to making Alexandria truly comprehensive. Even if you can just do one in a day it will help. If anyone has one of the scenarios that does not have a download site, please e-mail it to me I will forward it to Brett. Thank you all.

Scenarios that Alex is missing and their download sites. I have reworked the list and put it in alphabetical order. I have included all the misc info I can find to make it easier for someone to submit one to Alex. I included any Descriptions I could find written by the author some paraphrased, and I know some of the e-mail addresses are different for the same person but I just included the e-mail I found with that scenario. I have no idea if any of these e-mails work.

Dirty Gold - by Ryan Phelps, http://es.geocities.com/falcata2/Scenarios/gold.zip, Description: The only thing easier to find here than gold… is death., Author e-mail: ?, Level: Low, Supporting Docs: Readme, Size Zipped (KB): 77, Custom Graphics: yes, Content Rating: R, SpiderWeb Rating: n/a, Lyceum Rating: 6.73, Password: yes

Dragon Within 1: Ragnarok - by valkyriegirls, ftp://ftp.spidweb.com/user_scen/dwragna.zip, Description: The fate of the world rests in your hands alone., Author e-mail: ?, Level: Medium, Supporting Docs: None, Size Zipped (KB): 245, Custom Graphics: yes, Content Rating: PG, SpiderWeb Rating: 3.3, Lyceum Rating: 3.33, Password: yes

Dranhelm 1: Freedom - by Frahhamn, http://es.geocities.com/falcata2/Scenarios/dran.zip, Description: Preserve magic while trying to survive., Author e-mail: ?, Level: Low, Supporting Docs: Readme, Size Zipped (KB): 53, Custom Graphics: no, Content Rating: G, SpiderWeb Rating: n/a, Lyceum Rating: 4.88, Password: yes, Comments: Comes with pre-made party.

Enormously Inconvenient - by Jatz, ftp://ftp.spidweb.com/user_scen/enormas.zip, Description: As you travel, an almost gentle clicking sound fills the air., Author e-mail: andy@samtoby.freeserve.co.uk, Level: Medium, Supporting Docs: Readme Hints, Size Zipped (KB): 60, Custom Graphics: yes, Content Rating: G, SpiderWeb Rating: 2.8, Lyceum Rating: 4.25, Password: yes

Escapades in the Green Mountains - by Lucid Dreamer, http://www.geocities.com/blyceum/Olympia/EscapGM.zip , Author e-mail: ?, Level: , Supporting Docs: None, Size Zipped (KB): 123, Custom Graphics: no, Content Rating: , SpiderWeb Rating: n/a, Lyceum Rating: 3.90, Password: yes Comment: Said to only work on mac's.

Expedition, The - by Lt. Sullust, http://es.geocities.com/falcata2/Scenarios/exped89.zip, Description: Can you retrieve the lost armor of Harin?, Author e-mail: ?, Level: Low, Supporting Docs: None, Size Zipped (KB): 60, Custom Graphics: yes, Content Rating: G, SpiderWeb Rating: n/a, Lyceum Rating: 6.12, Password: yes

Kistar's Quest - by Anna Stewart, http://www.geocities.com/catullusgaius/Kistar.zip, Description: Exile faces a new threat from a powerful enemy., Author e-mail: malcolms@avnet.co.uk, Level: High, Supporting Docs: Readme Hints, Size Zipped (KB): 126, Custom Graphics: yes, Content Rating: PG, SpiderWeb Rating: n/a, Lyceum Rating: n/a, Password: yes

Land of the Damned - by Jeremy Maddock (Yakavonis), www.geocities.com/catullusgaius/land.zip, Description: A valley is infested with monsters. Can you help?, Author e-mail: BlackArow@aol.com, Level: Very High, Supporting Docs: Readme, Size Zipped (KB): 125, Custom Graphics: no, Content Rating: PG, SpiderWeb Rating: n/a, Lyceum Rating: n/a, Password: yes

Lords of Arkon (NC-17) - by elf of the forest, ftp://ftp.spidweb.com/user_scen/ARK.zip, Description: This is a ‘choose your own adventure’ style scenario., Author e-mail: ?, Level: Medium, Supporting Docs: None, Size Zipped (KB): 101, Custom Graphics: yes, Content Rating: NC-17, SpiderWeb Rating: 2.5, Lyceum Rating: 1.43, Password: yes

Lost Tunnels, The (part one) - by Count Jagen, ftp://ftp.spidweb.com/user_scen/curseone.zip, Description: Troubles in a local sewer become something more., Author e-mail: Jagan342@charter.net, Level: Very High, Supporting Docs: Readme, Size Zipped (KB): 100, Custom Graphics: yes, Content Rating: PG, SpiderWeb Rating: 3.6, Lyceum Rating: 5.63, Password: yes

Lost Tunnels, The (part two) - by Count Jagen, ftp://ftp.spidweb.com/user_scen/cursetwo.sit, Description: Will you ever find your way out of the lost tunnels?, Author e-mail: Jagan342@charter.net, Level: Very High, Supporting Docs: Readme, Size Zipped (KB): 98, Custom Graphics: yes, Content Rating: PG, SpiderWeb Rating: n/a, Lyceum Rating: n/a, Password: yes

Mere Silver War - by Taylon23, ftp://ftp.spidweb.com/user_scen/msw.zip, Author e-mail: ?, Level: Medium, Supporting Docs: Readme, Size Zipped (KB): 54, Custom Graphics: no, Content Rating: PG, SpiderWeb Rating: n/a, Lyceum Rating: n/a, Password: yes

Nature of Evil, The - by Measle, http://es.geocities.com/falcata2/Scenarios/evilnat.zip, Description: Nothing is ever as black and white as it seems., Author e-mail: stephen_masel@hotmail.com, Level: Very High, Supporting Docs: Readme, Size Zipped (KB): 191, Custom Graphics: yes, Content Rating: PG, SpiderWeb Rating: n/a, Lyceum Rating: 8.20, Password: yes

Old MacDonald - by Kattana, http://es.geocities.com/falcata2/Scenarios/oldmcd.zip, Author e-mail:?, Level: Low, Supporting Docs: Readme, Size Zipped (KB): 204, Custom Graphics: yes, Content Rating: G, SpiderWeb Rating: n/a, Lyceum Rating: n/a, Password: yes

Rise of the Great Daemon - by KJ Matossian, http://www.geocities.com/catullusgaius/riseone.zip, Description: A sudden uprising of monsters start attacking civilians., Author e-mail: ?, Level: Medium, Supporting Docs: Readme, Size Zipped (KB): 32, Custom Graphics: no, Content Rating: PG, SpiderWeb Rating: n/a, Lyceum Rating: 1.37, Password: yes

Sword of Kings, The - by Eric Ford, http://es.geocities.com/falcata2/Scenarios/SwdKings.zip, Author e-mail: ?, Level: Low, Supporting Docs: Readme, Size Zipped (KB): 31, Custom Graphics: no, Content Rating: G, SpiderWeb Rating: n/a, Lyceum Rating: 2.65, Password: yes

Ultimate Power - by KJ Matossian, ftp://ftp.spidweb.com/user_scen/ultpower.zip, Description: It will obey your wishes and you have to get it., Author e-mail: ?, Level: Very High, Supporting Docs: Readme, Size Zipped (KB): 73, Custom Graphics: yes, Content Rating: PG, SpiderWeb Rating: 2.7, Lyceum Rating: 3.00, Password: yes

Ultimate Sesame Mission, The - by Dan Fizz, ftp://ftp.spidweb.com/user_scen/sesame.zip, Description: Can you, the sesames, save your masters and the Universe?, Author e-mail:?, Level: High, Supporting Docs: None, Size Zipped (KB): 1226, Custom Graphics: yes, Content Rating: R, SpiderWeb Rating: 2.5, Lyceum Rating: 2.73, Password: yes

War of Exile - by David O'Brien, http://es.geocities.com/falcata2/Scenarios/thewar.zip, Author e-mail: ?, Level: Very High, Supporting Docs: Readme, Size Zipped (KB): 68, Custom Graphics: yes, Content Rating: PG, SpiderWeb Rating: n/a, Lyceum Rating: 1.00, Password: yes

Witch or Worse - by Zxquez, ftp://ftp.spidweb.com/user_scen/azxq.zip, Description: Can you kill a witch, or something worse?, Author e-mail: ?, Level: High, Supporting Docs: None, Size Zipped (KB): 191, Custom Graphics: yes, Content Rating: PG, SpiderWeb Rating: 2.6, Lyceum Rating: 2.57, Password: yes

Scenarios Alex is missing that I have not found a download site for:

Random Rampage - by Zxques

Island of the Giants, The - by Aaron Maybury

Isle of War – by Jeremy Maddock

Isle of War II – by Jeremy Maddock

Oreh’s Legacy – by Joel O’Brien

This scenario is already up at Alex but the link doesn't work and I haven't found any other working links for it. If you have this scenario please e-mail it to me. Thank you.

The Killing – by The Doomguard

I am going to take care of these scenarios. They are just here to remind me.

Caer Selwyn – by Will Martin

It - by

Ravaged Land - by lost_king

Great War, The - by lost_king

Homeland - by lost_king

Isle of Serin - by Chris Lawson

The Lost Island - by Brave Sir Robin

Gornan - by Frahhamn

Savior's Quest - by John Battye

These scenarios are already up at Alex but the links for them don't work and I haven't found any other working links for them. If you have any of these scenarios please e-mail them to me. Thank you.

Isle of Serin – by Chris Lawson

It – by Joel O’Brien

The Killing – by The Doomguard

The Lost Island – by Brave Sir Robin

/me taps foot

Well, now I know you all are looking at the list cause you're making conversation about it but I have yet to see anyone post that they've submitted any info to Alex. Come on people, don't make me and Brett do all the work. Get on you're duffs and play one of the scenarios on the list. Keep track of how long it takes you, how many towns/dungeons there are, and how many outdoor sections. The rest of the information needed can be found a bit faster, if not easier and I'd be willing to look up the rest if you'll just post those three things. Will it suck? Maybe. Is it an inconvience? Yes. Will it be worth it? Absolutely. Now just do it... Please.

Quote:
These scenarios are already up at Alex but the links for them don't work and I haven't found any other working links for them.
The Big Fight – by John O’Brien
The Lost Island – by Brave Sir Robin
Four Horsemen – by Glynn Reaper
Search for Mortrax – by Justin Paszul
Daughters of Aiyina – by Janet Cone
The Zhakazi Edit – by Alcritas
(temporarily only and without permission smile ) here
and finally found a working link for "A Quest for Milk" here

BUT fat chance on playing much... on company time... frown

Drizzt, did R. Martin send you a finished EXS file too? I've crawled across the entire scenario, searching for pic descriptions and bugs, just to find the last (final?) dungeon is to be completed, and so the main quest.

Which is a pity, because what's actually finished looks pretty good for a first effort.

I am working on putting all these scenarios into Alex. Any help you can give on scenario info is much appreciated. No way I can play all these to count towns, etc.

Also, I may just copy the entire all the scenarios from SW and place them on my own site.

THey currently come to about 50 MB. I recently acquired 500 MB of storage.

That way, no more broken links as people move things, SW renames ZIP files, etc.

A fully independent site that stored the scenarios instead of just linking to them sounds like a really good idea. But what's going on with that idea about making these things designer-editable? I thought we were going to have a new database soon that would allow us to go in and update things directly instead of e-mailing and waiting.

Er, and what do you want about NK0P? How long it takes, the number of towns, and the number of outdoor sections? As best I recall, it's something like an hour, 15, and 1.

Thank you, NK0P is taken care of. It might be a good idea for the person playing it to give a brief description too. I just copied what was up at Spiderweb for this one, but it'd be nice for those not there.

PS. Hey Brett, I think I spelled his name wrong on the submission form. frown If you can take care of that before you post it, I'd be much obliged.

Regarding CS, no I don't believe he ever finished it. He told me that he sent the scenario to Spirderweb to unlock it - he'd forgotten the password, and they posted it (without the graphics file of course) instead. I encouraged him to finish it - as you said, it wasn't half-bad, and he said he would try.

I didn't hear anything back from him, so it seems this is yet another unfinished work due to, in part at least, the actions of Spiderweb. Bummer.

The version I have is last modified 1/17/2000 - I don't think he ever sent me an updated scenario, just the graphics. I haven't sent it yet - not forgotten, just have to get to it.

Quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:
But what's going on with that idea about making these things designer-editable? I thought we were going to have a new database soon that would allow us to go in and update things directly instead of e-mailing and waiting.
I have it set up, I just need data. A DB dump from Alexandria would work.

Quote:
Originally written by Andrea:
Quote:
But what's going on with that idea about making these things designer-editable? I thought we were going to have a new database soon that would allow us to go in and update things directly instead of e-mailing and waiting.
Send me your e-mail address Andrea, and I'll dump what I have to this point. That way you can test it.

If things look good, we can decide on next steps.

I've reworked the list to make it easier to navigate. I've also included all the misc info I can find so it's easier for you to submit one to Alex.

Can I get any volunteers to take a scenario and play it? Again, keep track of #of towns/dungeons, #of outdoor sections, and how long it takes to play. Some scenarios still need a short Description too.

Quote:
Originally written by Andrea:
Quote:
So what's the status on this? Did you get the DB dump I sent?

I have been told by some and shown by others' questions that few people really know what I'm doing with this post so I'm going to try to explain it better.

Ever since Brett opened Alexandria, he has asked for the community's help in 'submitting' scenarios and certain information about them to help make Alex a searchable database. If you haven't yet, please click on Alex\'s Submission Form to get a better idea of what it is to 'submit' a scenario to Alex.

The scenarios on the list are those which I have found to be missing from Alex's database and still need to be submitted. I have included with them all the information needed that can be found without actually playing the game. The information that is still needed is; # indoor sections, # outdoor sections, time it takes to play in days, and some still need a brief description. This information can only be found by playing the scenario so I'm asking the community for help.

If you would like to help this is what you do.

1. First voulnteer for a scenario in a reply to this post.

2. I will unbold the title of that scenario so that others know that it is being taken care of. There is no time limit, take as long as you need.

3. While you are playing the scenario, keep track of how many indoor sections there are (this includes every time you need to re-explore a town because of an event), how many outdoor sections there are, and how long it takes you to play it.

4. When you have finished playing the scenario post the information you have found with a brief description of the scenario and I will submit it at Alex. OR Submit the scenario yourself using the form linked to above and post that you have done it.

5. I will delete that scenario from the list.

6. Repeat as often as you like.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alright. I played them and they are AWFUL!

But seriously, I still didn't think they were worse than War of Exile, though TGW comes pretty close. Maybe it's just that Homeland was plain pointless. And I prefer pointless stuff to 100% annoying stuff (like WoE.)

Now if the Lost King scenarios were all one big scenario, that would be a whole different story. . .

As a quick note: The download sites listed in the first post are all broken due to a comma attached at the end. It's not a big problem, but it's still annoying to have to correct the address when you try to download.

That said, over the next weekend I might try to godmod my way through some of those scenarios to count number of towns etc and other stuff Alex requires on the submission form. That's sort of the idea, right?

Yep, that's the idea. I know that the url's are a bit tricky, but when I tried to copy/paste them without the comma at the end, the board would automatically shorten the url and put periods (...) in the middle making it more difficult to copy into the Alexandra submission form. This way may be annoying but it keeps all the characters of the url showing for accuracy.

It's there inside the Comprehensive BoE Walkthroughs. All three scenarios are listed in the database and all three will take you to the download page. Here's the direct link for the page though.

lost_king scenarios

Edit: Hey Bain, since you've played through them all can you tell me how many towns and outdoor sections they have. I had it on my list to do because there wasn't an easy way for others to get them till now... but since you've already played them you can tell me, right?

• 7 years later...

Hi there,

I have recently rediscovered Avernum through the epic and nostaglic re-release of the first game.

I had many great memories of playing Spiderweb games when I was younger... and also vague memories of this message board and trying to make scenarios for Blades of exile!

Out of curiosity I searched for old posts using the email address I just about remembered using all those years ago and lo and behold I was called "Lost_King" !!!

I must say I have had a huge laugh reading how the only scenario I made turned out to be some sort of in-joke reference to something terrible! I was probably 10 or 11 at the time I made it and I am strangely fascinated to hear more about my great work! Can anyone remember? Or send me a copy??

Good to have grown up, but great to revisit your childhood!

Lost_King? How about Found_King?

Nice to see oldbies from before my time coming back around.

There's been plenty of scenarios out since then, be sure to check them out! Also, BoE has been open-sourced and a community-made version (that runs on 64-bit windows) is available here.

(also, in unrelated news: topic necro, win!)