Trying to Restart Avernum 4

kourousx

Hello All,

I got the Avernum Second trilogy via Steam. Everything was fine until I inadvertently changed the "Resolution on Startup"

I now get the following error message in a small grey box:

Avernum 4 requires the monitor to be set to exactly 16 Bit color and at least 1024x768 resolution> Your monitor isn't set to a suitable resolution.

Now, my Dell is 3 years old and Win8 doesn't give the option to set ANY 16-bit color. (Default is 1920x1200) I tried a few different compatibility settings on the avernum4.exe and that hasn't worked either.

Help a brother out??

I think your best bet is to delete the file where the game's settings are stored: this will reset all of your preferences to the default but will leave your saved games intact. Look for a file called "Avernum 4 Settings": it should be inside the Avernum 4 Data folder, which in turn should be inside the Avernum 4 folder, which if you've got the Steam version should be inside the "common" folder inside the SteamApps folder inside your Steam library. Or it might be easier to just search your hard drive for a file with that name. Anyway, find and delete the Avernum 4 Settings file and hopefully that will solve your problem.

Very Strange

The settings file is missing. Can't find it in the AV4 Data Folder. Can't find it ANYWHERE on my C Drive.

I'm still getting the grey box and the aforementioned error message.

There was a file called AV4ScenData.dat, which I cut and pasted to the desktop -- to no effect. Whether in the Data folder or not, I still get the error.

The Steam version might store data differently. In that case, your easiest option might just be to uninstall (right-click the game in Steam and select "Delete Local Content") and reinstall. I'm not sure if this will preserve your saved games so you should probably back them up first if you do this.

That might be for the best. I'm fairly sure it should be just a matter of finding and deleting a preference file somewhere, but the difficulty is finding it.

There's one more thing I can think of to check: when you searched for the Avernum 4 Settings file on your hard drive, did you have the search settings set to find hidden files?

• 4 years later...
On 5/24/2016 at 7:48 AM, Lilith said:

The Steam version -

Steam files are located in the documents folder in your quick access, or by clicking "This PC". Stored in the spidweb folder. 

Just an FYI as I had to delete this as well and this was the first google result when searching the text box.