A1 - Question(s) about the character editor...

Hi. I'm having trouble with the demon in the castle jail, and I was wondering if I went wrong somewhere with character customization. The first party I created couldn't hit anything, so I started a new game. So far, I've not had any problems playing on normal difficulty. I don't think I made any changes to the starting party roster. I have a soldier, scout/rebel, priest, and a mage. They're currently at level 9 and 10. The cultist and demon annihilate them before they each get a turn. My soldier has around 30% resistance to magic, I think, but I'd have to check. He and the rebel get lightning damage and terrified right off the bat. Their endurance is 9 and 10, but hardiness is low.

I decided to try the character editor and changed the difficulty to casual, but I'd rather play without the editor if it's possible. I've been playing the second trilogy without too many issues, and I have an A4 party on tricky. They don't get killed as easily in boss fights, and they don't take much damage from the chitrachs. So, should I be able to play Avernum: EftP on normal without the character editor? I quit without saving after I enabled the editor because I don't like to cheat unless I have no other choice. It's just frustrating to see my party miss so much, especially when some of these creatures get two or three attacks per turn.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

Some fights are just meant to be done at higher levels and that one is one of them. I'm pretty sure I was higher when I did them and died a few times.

Try to have a character with healing priest spells stand back away from them to heal and remove mental statuses from the other party members.