Geneforge 4 Ending Chart

This one is extremely complex. Possibly the most complex set of endings for any SW game. Basically, there are two quasi-independent but related outcomes: what happens in the war, and what happens to the PC. Overall, there are three main clusters of endings which relate to what happens in the war, but 6 to 10 different major endings when you incorporate the PC's fate, and there are at least sixteen different branches that can be followed to get there. On top of that, there are a number of other factors that don't change what happens in the war or what happens to the PC, but have a significant (many paragraphs long) impact on parts of the ending narration.

So, bear with me here.

Also, this one would be incredibly time-consuming to test, so it's possible that part of this is not reconstructed correctly -- it isn't verified. Most of it should be accurate, but as always, if you are sure something is wrong, please say so. (If you aren't sure, and you want to load up your old save and test, that would be even better!)

One thing I am not 100% sure about is if giving Alwan the specifications is itself enough to change the course of the first battle in the ending, or if you also have to allow the Shaper raiding team to damage some of the machinery.

A full list of factors that affect the endings:

- Creating or destroying the unbound

- Setting energy flow to high, low, or medium

- Allowing the Shaper assault to damage 0, 1, 2, or 3 parts of the machinery

- Giving Alwan the Unbound specifications

- Going into the endgame segment alongisde the Shapers, or alongside the Rebels

- If Alwan is alive

- If Miranda is alive

- If Greta is alive

- If Akhari Blaze is alive (especially big impact)

- If Litalia is alive (minor)

- Canister use

- Your reputation (I would assume this means whether you completed the Shaper or Rebel quests at the end of each chapter, but it may also mean something else, particularly due to its relevance in the Trakovite ending; possibly it's a formula that takes into account chapter quests, canister use, survival of allies, etc.)

GENEFORGE 4 ENDINGS

CLUSTER 1: REBEL VICTORY

The Unbound win their initial engagement with the Shapers, and the Rebels surge forward. Ultimately, despite objections, the Drakons continue to create more Unbound.

Major Ending 1: Successful career as a rebel

Ally with the Rebels, create the Unbound, don't sabotage them, and don't give Alwan the specifications. Depending on your reputation, you will either have a reasonably successful career, or a very successful career.

Additional Branch:

If the machinery is not damaged by a Shaper attack, the Rebels also retake Illya province. If it is damaged, they don't. (If it is damaged too much, you may be disqualified from this ending entirely, not sure.)

Major Ending 2: Beheaded by the victorious Drakons

Ally with the Shapers, create the Unbound, don't sabotage them, and don't give Alwan the specifications. The Drakons jail you and ultimately behead you.

CLUSTER 2: STALEMATE

The Unbound win their initial engagement with the Shapers, and the Rebels surge forward. The Drakons cannot begin creating more Unbound before objections surface from others in the rebellion, and ultimately, no more Unbound are created.

Major Ending 3: At the mercy of the Rebels

Create the Unbound, set energy flow to high, and don't give Alwan the specifications. You can ally with either side. Depending on your reputation, you will either be killed by the Drakons, or others will speak up for you, and you will instead be exiled.

Additional Branch:

If the machinery is not damaged by a Shaper attack, the Rebels also retake Illya province. If it is damaged, they don't. (If it is damaged too much, you may be disqualified from this ending entirely, not sure.)

CLUSTER 3: SHAPER VICTORY

The Unbound are destroyed, either by you or by the Shaper army, and the Shapers surge forward. They control Terrestia and the Drakons are confined to the Ashen Isles. A temporary peace ensues.

Major Ending 4: Victim of Shaper justice

Ally with the Rebels, create the Unbound, but also set energy flow to low and/or give Alwan the specifications. You end up fighting for the Rebels, before being captured by the Shapers, tried, and executed.

Additional Branch:

If you sabotaged the energy flow, the Drakons jail you before allowing you to fight the Shapers. If not, they don't.

Major Ending 5: Beheaded by the unsuccessful Drakons

Ally with the Shapers, create the Unbound, but also set energy flow to low and/or give Alwan the specifications. The Drakons jail you and ultimately behead you.

Major Ending 6: At the mercy of the Shapers

Destroy the Unbound. The Shapers lock you up and study you. When the war ends, depending on your reputation and canister use, you are either executed, exiled, or given a meaningful administrative position in the former Rebel territories.

Woah. I had no idea G4 was so complex. I had the impression is it was pretty similar to G3, except with the option to sabotage the Unbound and go Trakovite. It looks like most of the ending-affecting factors occur in (or can be left until) the end of the game (i.e. they deal with the endgame sequence or with stuff you can go back and do easily, like use canisters or kill Litalia). "Reputation," whatever that means (is there any way to narrow down for sure what that is?) presumably depends on earlier activities, and stealing the Unbound Specs is a one-time opportunity. The rest of it, though, it looks like you could get all the way to Northforge Citadel while keeping your options open, create a save, and then start experimenting. Actually, if you made the save at Quessa-Uss, at the decision point of whether to grab the Unbound Specs, you wouldn't be adding that much to your endgame drudgery, but could keep that option open too. Surely there's some way to figure out this "reputation" thing?

It seems really curious that Jeff would have created such a complex / opaque ending system for G4 - it's so different from the norm in almost all his other work, which are both less complicated and more obvious what actions might shape the ending. I wonder why he did it this way for this one game.

And all my rebel endings had Akhari Blaze, arguably the best life-crafter to have ever lived, personally controlling the Unbound with his seer willpower stopping them from going rogue, before their ultimate release on unsuspecting Shaper lands. If he dies and the Unbound are created... WHO controls them?!?

It seems really curious that Jeff would have created such a complex / opaque ending system for G4 - it's so different from the norm in almost all his other work, which are both less complicated and more obvious what actions might shape the ending. I wonder why he did it this way for this one game.

Well, G4 is really different from the norm for his other work in general. It's easily the grittiest SW game, and is marked by an unusual attention to detail.

Can Akhari\Greta die if you go with the Rebels and live if you go with the Shapers?!

Anyway, can someone tell me how I can kill Litalia and stay a rebel? Or it's impossible?

Litalia's name only shows up in the Shaper cluster, and then only if she is still alive.

Again, keep in mind that it is possible to go with the Rebels and get the Shaper ending, and vice versa. But, yes, it is possible for them to die even if you go with the Rebels. They are involved in combats and they can lose, especially if you intervene against them. Ditto for the reverse situation with Alwan and Miranda.

And all my rebel endings had Akhari Blaze, arguably the best life-crafter to have ever lived, personally controlling the Unbound with his seer willpower stopping them from going rogue, before their ultimate release on unsuspecting Shaper lands. If he dies and the Unbound are created... WHO controls them?!?

Nobody, not effectively, anyway. They cause a lot of havok in Rebel lands before reaching the site of the battle with the Shapers. However, as far as I can tell, this has no impact on the outcome of the battle.