Geneforge 3 Ending Chart

This one is simpler, sort of. There are two major endings, with one branch point, and numerous variations depending on what you did on each island. (One branch offers a fairly different fate for the PC, but the vast majority of the ending is unchanged by it.) After describing the war and what happens to the PC, each ending then narrates the ultimate fate of the Ashen Isles, before finishing (again -- an italicized again truly is the word that best sums this game up) with a Ghaldring cameo/foreshadow.

Minor Variations in the Beginning of All Endings:

- Canister use

- If you retained Alwan until the very end

- If you retained Greta until the very end

Both Alwan and Greta remain in the Ashen Isles, if they were still with you, and are implied later in the ending to have made a difference in Gull Island's reconstruction.

MAJOR ENDING 1: DESTROYED THE GENEFORGE

Branch 1a: Supported the Shapers consistently, low canister use

You reach a Shaper force, and tell them about everything that happened in the Ashen Isles. You are praised and promoted to a Full Shaper, fend off a Rebel attack, and rise in the ranks until you become a General. You find that Terrestia has been truly ravaged, and you keep fighting.

Branch 1b: Supported the Shapers consistently, heavy canister use

You reach a Shaper force, and tell them about everything that happened in the Ashen Isles. You are praised, but locked up due to your canister use. The commander is killed during a Rebel attack, and you are freed to help in the fighting. You rise in the ranks until you become a General. You find that Terrestia has been truly ravaged, and you keep fighting.

Branch 1c: Did not support the Shapers consistently

You get this ending by completing the Shaper endgame after having completed the Rebel path on some or all of the previous islands (Harmony, Dhonal's, and Gull). I'm not sure, but I think you have to take the Rebel path on all three of those islands to get this (bad) ending. Killing Khyryk and repairing the Creator at least seems mandatory.

You reach a Shaper force, and tell them about everything that happened in the Ashen Isles. You are locked up due to your actions. During a successful Rebel attack, the Shaper commander comes in and deals you a mortal wound. You are then, apparently, eaten by a drayk. (Just like Barzahl!) Despite being dead, you still have to hear about Terrestia being ravaged.

Minor Variations:

- If you killed Master Hoge

- If you killed Litalia

Harmony Island Fate:

The Shapers retake the island. If you helped Diwaniya, he is allowed to remain in power. If you helped Lankan, the remaining rebels are routed.

Dhonal's Island Fate:

If you destroyed the Creator, the island becomes a center of command and research under Rahul. If, instead, you repaired it, a Shaper force (apparently led by Alwan) comes to destroy it.

Gull Island Fate:

If you helped Khyryk, a Shaper force (apparently led by Alwan) comes to execute Agatha and company. Khyryk is left in charge of the island, and refuses to aid either side in the war. If, instead, you killed Khyryk, Greta comes to Gull Island and brokers peace and understanding between the serviles and drayks.

Isle of Spears Fate:

The Shapers cleanse the island harshly.

MAJOR ENDING 2: KILLED LORD RAHUL

You reach a Shaper force, and tell them about everything that happened in the Ashen Isles, to scare them. You are locked up due to your actions. During a successful Rebel attack, the Shaper commander comes in to deal you a mortal wound, but is instead decapitated by a rotghroth. By Akhari Blaze's pronouncement, you are given a command of those servile cultists who choose voluntarily to serve under you. You participate in the ravaging of Terrestia, and you keep fighting.

Harmony Island Fate:

The Rebels retake the island. If you helped Lankan, he is given command of the island, and lives happily ever after. If you helped Diwaniya, the remaining Shapers are routed.

Dhonal's Island Fate:

Whatever you did with the Creator, the island is taken by the Rebels and Akhari Blaze razes Dhonal's Keep out of spite.

Gull Island Fate:

If you helped Khyryk, a Shaper force (apparently led by Alwan) comes to execute Agatha and company. Khyryk is left in charge of the island, and refuses to aid either side in the war. If, instead, you killed Khyryk, Greta comes to Gull Island and brokers peace and understanding between the serviles and drayks.

Isle of Spears Fate:

Drakons go there to attempt to become Ur-Drakons, and the Shapers are unable to pierce the isle.

I have to say that this is my least favourite set of endings in any Spiderweb game ever. First there is a laundry list of what happened on each island, then there is a laundry list of what will happen on each island. There's not really a happy way out for the PC or for most of the other characters; the only character who really gets an interesting mention is Greta, and then only if you killed Khyryk, and that mention doesn't even include her name! Litalia gets one brief mention if and only if you destroy the Geneforge, and leave her alive. If you are allied with her, though, she is completely absent from the ending, a bizarre omission considering how much screen game she gets during the game.

I know I have a bias for endings that allow you to stand up and declaim: "We back the charms of the fair priestess Karolynna!" But honestly, even A4 managed better than this one.

There's a way to leave Khyryk alive AND become a rebel? I was pretty sure from my own experimentation that the one real decision point in the game is whether you kill Khyryk. You can play as the most fervent Shaper right up until you click the boat to go to Isle of Spears (having freed Agatha et al.), but if you then go kill Khyryk, when you go to Isle of Spears, you are a Rebel for the endgame. Likewise, you can do lots of pro-rebel stuff like help Lankan and the Dhonal Creator, but if you work with Khyryk, you'll be locked in as a Shaper in the endgame.

I know neither helping Lankan nor fixing the Dhonal Creator fixes you as a rebel. I know you can tell Rahul you fixed the Dhonal Creator, or killed General Greiner; I assume those actions may also set your affiliation to rebel, but I've never managed to escape the Inner Keep and then Dhonal's Keep after so doing, so I'm not sure what effect telling Rahul those things has on the rest of the game.

Is there some way to change your alignment after you get to Isle of Spears?

What if you complete Khyryk's quests, report it to Rahul and get the quest to go to Spears, and then go back and kill him?

You're right though that there must be a simpler way -- I can't believe that branch would be so buried from ordinary play. I guess it's possible that helping the rebels on both Harmony and Dhonal's Isle is enough to trigger it. It talks explicitly about murdering Shapers, though, so... huh.

Hmm. Yeah, to get the Shaper-ending-yet-dead-Khyryk combination, if you went to the Isle of Spears while Khyryk yet lives, you might be able to lock yourself in as a Shaper, then go back and murder Khyryk without losing your access to the Shaper endgame. Maybe? Someone should try it.

For a rebel-ending-yet-live-Khyryk combo, helping Lankan and the Creator is not enough. You still face the choice of either killing Khyryk or aiding him in order to move on from Gull. I still don't know of any path to get a rebel endgame without killing Khyryk. The rebels on Gull won't let you move on until he's dead. If he's alive when you go to Spears, you're a Shaper and there's no further chance to join the rebels. Perhaps this where confessing treason to Rahul comes in? Maybe if you did that and escaped Elek would let you go on without insisting you kill Khyryk? Seems unlikely though.

Sure, the two Gull endings are in the game, but does that necessarily mean both are available to each ending? Why couldn't each side only have one Gull ending?

Related to all this, I'd love it if you could confirm how one gets ending 1C. I didn't know it even existed!

I'm looking at G4 now, btw, and it's pretty complicated, again. Lots of stuff weaves in and out of multiple endings and while there are just three final conclusions to the war, there are many, many more versions of the PC's ultimate fate. The Shaper and Rebel stuff is clear enough but it's often not clear which options apply to the Trakovite ending.

On the plus side, in G4, no matter what you do -- nobody gets eaten by a drayk.

Assassinate Rahul before ever visiting Spears? That would be crazy sequence-breaking...but I suppose it might work. I wish G3 were more fun so I'd feel more motivated to test these. LOL. I doubt the super-lacking-combat-skills Leadership/Mechanics build I'm playing has any chance of killing off Rahul; I'm pretty sure the help Jeff put in is the imprisoned drakon in the Inner Keep, and he won't work with you until you're already a confirmed rebel. I might be able to test the visit-Spears-as-a-Shaper-then-go-back-and-kill-Khyryk idea, though.

I remembered that G3 has an editor available, so I tried using that pump my abilities and then went and killed Rahul. Elek doesn’t acknowledge it, however, and demands I kill Khyryk. (Oddly, Khyryk also doesn’t acknowledge it, though all the friendly towns on Dhonal's Isle turn against me for it.) So, offing Rahul does not enable one to skip the step of killing Khyryk to become a rebel and go to Isle of Spears. Using this powered-up save, I still plan to experiment with a couple of the other possible routes we’ve discussed here.

Also, odd thing: Elek says you can go to Khor’s Deep and get help for killing Khyryk from a fellow traitorous shaper…but when I go there, Hoge attacks me. Is that supposed to happen?

Also, sad thing: apparently helping the creator results in General Greiner’s death – when you tell Rahul that you fixed the Dhonal Creator, he says he had just learned that Greiner had been killed, too. OUCH. :( Some of the Shapers in G3 are nasty jerks, but a fair number of them seem like decent people. It's hard to embrace the Shaper cause as a whole, but it's much harder to turn against many of the actual people you encounter on the shaper side of things. I think one of the great deficiencies of G3 is the total failure to generate sympathy for rebels. As I've said before, the first and really only place that lets you see the rebels in a sympathetic light in G3 is Icy End, and you don't get to see it that way unless you're already committed to the rebels.

I remember if you did help the rebels in the beggining. I.e. help lankan. Or fix the creator. But are pro shaper enough by the end, they don't kill you but you are sent by the council to "fix" the mistakes you made in the islands. You still stay an influential general if im not mistaken. Idk about khyrick. Never got balls/nerve enough to kill him.

Next experiment: I did Gull the Shaper way, visited Isle of Spears, then went back and killed Khyryk. The game clearly doesn't expect this sort of duplicity - the rebel servile guards in Khor's Deep (whom I ran past on my way to the boat) are now allied to me, while the Shapers in Stonespire are hostile. However, the shapers on Spears are still friendly and Icy End is still hostile. Thus, it appears that one could, by this goofy method, finish the game as a Shaper yet have a dead Khyryk.

And the last experiment: played through Gull like a Shaper, then, before clicking the boat to Spears, went and killed Rahul. Showed up on Spears and the endgame regards me as a Shaper. So it appears that the one and only decision point for your endgame is whether you kill Khyryk before going Spears. You can, however, get a Shaper ending with dead Khyryk if you return from Spears and kill him later.

It's also interesting to realize you can do the Shaper endgame AND kill Rahul. I guess that somehow yields the 1c ending mentioned above? I wonder if there's a way to get the Rebel endgame and then kill Akhari / destroy the Geneforge, and if so, what chaos does that yield for the ending?

Related question: I noticed you list in the sided-with-Shapers ending the possibility that Hoge is alive? Any idea how to pull that off? I thought the only way to turn him non-hostile was to take the Rebel route on Gull (i.e. kill Khyryk and get the Rebels' permission to go to the boat there).

It's also interesting to realize you can do the Shaper endgame AND kill Rahul. I guess that somehow yields the 1c ending mentioned above? I wonder if there's a way to get the Rebel endgame and then kill Akhari / destroy the Geneforge, and if so, what chaos does that yield for the ending?

I did this once. You end up not being able to use the boat at Isle of Spears to end the game, you have to use the one at Dhonal Docks. It was basically ending 1c, but the ending mentioned Khyryk being alive when talking about Gull Island, even though I killed him.

It's worth nothing that I killed Rahul, then destroyed the Geneforge. The opposite might have a different ending.

By far the most thoughtfully constructed scenario I've played, and one that I am drawn to replay time and again. The scenario's world is fleshed out with vigor, creativity, and elegant internal consistency -- it even connects to and expands on the world of Exile without chafing or continuity issues, a rare accomplishment. Gameplay, varied and well-balanced; dialogue, superb; plot, twisty and engaging; the ending, surprising and satisfying. There are a few bugs and the combat and custom graphics no longer stand out, although for its time (the first year of BoE) it was top-of-the-line in those regards too.

Nephil's Gambit, still the best scenario ever.

• 3 weeks later...

Weirdness: I made it to Spears and locked myself in to the Shaper endgame. Then I went back to Gull and killed Khyryk before proceeding to finish the game.

The Shapers in the ending take note of how I fixed the Dhonal Creator and murdered Khyryk, with the result that they end up killing me and I get eaten by a drayk. However, in the Gull Island ending, Khyryk still emerges from his tower and takes charge of the island. The game doesn't seem to have been designed for my loophole exploitation, muddling the ending.

Note that I did NOT help the Harmony rebels, so I can confirm that helping the rebels on all three islands is not necessary get ending 1c. It does seem, however, that you cannot get the Greta-brokers-peace Gull ending if you were a Shaper. Since I already established that it is impossible to get the Rebel endgame unless you kill Khyryk, it would seem that each side effectively has only one Gull Island ending.

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, sillylaureate said:

I started a new game with the editor, made it to Rahul in an hour and killed him, couldn't even get in to see the creator. The doors won't open unless you talk to general greiner or do something for him, and he's hostile to me (as is the whole camp)

Are these the fort's main gates? You need to access his quarters from a back door route from the zone to the north through a tunnel.

You might get blocked if you didn't get the quest to talk to General Greiner before killing Lord Rahul. These games have stuff done flags that require actions take place in a certain order in order to advance the script for a zone.