Unsafe conditions at home

It is a very effective coping mechanism for many people. Ignoring problems (medical, social, societal, etc) is how many people maintain a happy or at least content life.

In terms of unjustified involuntary commitments, Saint Elizabeths in DC is always the example that comes to my mind.

Yeeep its an effective coping mechanism. If you have stage 3 cancer very effective just ignore it and continue living life the best you can and enjoy yourself while you can. But there are things that could change if all of us stopped ignoring them.

Salmon, while you're right that ideally it should be changed, the reality is that an investigation is very unlikely to cause that change, for the same reasons I gave above. The problems ADoS reported are part of a series of much bigger systemic problems that ultimately hinge on the way we distribute our resources. Taking humane care of people who have both basic (food, clothing, shelter) and less common (e.g., personal or psychiatric) needs, but little to no ability to pay or to earn money, simply requires money from outside the system -- money that we, collectively, do not assign there (whether through government spending, private donations, or any other avenue).

While I am generally pro-investigation and certainly pro-information, in these kind of encrusted organizational systems, you have to be aware of the context, of what will happen after the investigation, of what it will look like to stakeholders (including the media and the public at large)... this just isn't the way to effect change. I say this as someone who, you may remember, worked in said industry for a decade.

You don't sound like rapid and forced change is your style. I'm more of a Bernie man myself.

"For instance, I didn't have time to leave my former room in "broom-swept condition" as per my agreement. They could pick on me for that."

If they want to find cause, they will even if they make it up.

What can happen at regular apartment. I tried to find a review at a luxury apartment that was less than a year old where an early tenant moved out and was charged $50 for each area that had to be dusted and to replace the entire multi room carpet because of damage in one small area.

If I may offer my opinion on the matter, I would advise against 'leading a fight for widespread reforms' if at all possible. It is unlikely to be pleasant, unlikely to get you what you want and unlikely to be the best option if my experience in these matters is anything to go on.

@ADoS

FWIW I've been following this, but not posting because my input would not be useful. (Too far outside my experience etc.) However, I really owe you one, since you helped me with the thing with my dad. For now, *HUGS* and try to stay safe okay?

Also, much sympathy re: people not listening to you because of diagnoses. Been there, done that, it's awful.

Thanks for the help, everyone. The posts I made have been mostly redacted for this reason: much of my thoughts here were combinations of brain-dumping and trying to make sense of and understand the situation. I did mention the names of people and organizations and said things about them, some of which were only my interpretations at the time as I tried to untie the knot in my head. I want to emphasize that not everything that appeared here was necessarily true, and I redacted the posts to avoid unjust disparagement of character for anyone involved. I have the posts saved, should someone involved in an official investigation need them.

I now have a pretty strong grip on the situation and I am working with my supports to plan how we will proceed. Again, thank you.