I want to try Crystal Souls, but is it less balanced han Avernum 1?

I enjoyed Escape from the Pit, and I want to try Crystal souls, but I have heard that melee and ranged are even less useful compared to magic in this game. I remembered during my play through on hard difficulty in the first game that my spear fighter was rather useless though-out the whole game, and even my dual-wielder started to be less useful towards the end game against some bosses. I have heard that melee got nerfed even more in Crystal Souls, maybe to the point where it's not even worth running anything other than a party of 4 mages. Is there any mods or balance patches in the works to alleviate this?

Also, are ranged weapons any better in this game? I didn't run an archer in Escape from the Pit because apparently they scaled less than other classes.

Edit: I just realized that I made a typo in the title...Opps.

Jeff got rid of fights where magic was almost useless that occurred in Escape from the Pit so magic is more useful. There are still monsters that don't take much damage from physical attacks, but there are plenty of swords that do elemental damage like fire and cold. Plus Demonslayer is required to finish a main quest so having a melee fighter helps at the end.

However I did try an all spell casting party that did quite well until I needed to hit with Demonslayer. Then it took a while to hit and I needed to keep healing until I did.

The major change is it's easier to miss with to hit capped at 90%.

Range weapons are still not great especially on harder difficulties. However there are plenty of boss fights where you want range attacks to avoid special damages in melee.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. We are taking up a collection for beta testers since they start Avadon 3: The Warborn in a few weeks. :)

To be honest the first thing that crossed my mind when playing avernum cs. Was that it was chaleging. I had finished avadon two to play this one. And i went crazy for a while. The whole dying easilly wasnt doing good for my self esteem but then it was fairly easy figuring out which parts of the map where out of your ling and which parts arent. Also some quests you get in the begining can be finished right away. But in the end i enjoyed it much better than escape from the pit. It really brings me back to geneforge 1/2 where you technically could explore any area. But ultimatelly you had to be smart on how to explore them. So all in all. Although as randomizer said melee is necessary. And ranged close to useless. Another thing is anything other than humans in this game are a bit handicapped. So the traditional nephil archer? Worst option.

• 2 weeks later...