i don't really get why people hate this series so much

apolloooo

well for instance people said it's too linear, mission based instead of free roam or open world like avernum/geneforge. but i praise jeff for trying new things.

the story is good, and the setting is quite enjoyable, party members interaction is deeper than avernum / geneforge, and i can see jeff wants to emulate bioware-lite party interaction where they have their own story/sub quest etc, and he do it quite well. non playable characters are quite memorable too, especially the villains. the gameplay is quite original on its own, and i feel all vogel's games have quite distinct character system and combat, but i acknowledge it quite suffer from too much trashmobs/etc but that's already a staple there.

well it maybe isn't better than generforge, as i feel the G is still jeff's masterpiece until now, but avadon, in its own right is still great series with 2 great games, and doesn't deserve the hate it gets especially from older fans *cough RPGcodexers cough cough*.

I wasn't under the impression Avadon was hated by the community. Disliked by some yes, but certainly not hated. Spiderweb made Avadon in a certain way that was a little different than the previous games. Like any new game series, you win some fans, you lose some fans. I personally didn't love Avadon but it wasn't a bad game by any means. Just not my taste.

• 2 weeks later...

I think everybody who has played Avadon but not the Avernum series needs to go play at least one of the first six of the Avernum series...and probably Geneforge 5 too. The combat seems so very limited in Avadon. I particularly miss Geneforge and Avernum mind control powers. I don't like the sorcerer's shoddy little attempts at mind control in Avadon. I want to be able to friggin' brainwash entire mobs wth ease to do my evil bidding. The storyline is still good though, and that's the primary reason why I've played Spiderweb games anyway.

Avadon is better than Avernum for sure. I still struggle to see why people like avernum. To each their own I guess. (nothing beats geneforge for me)

I still think Avadon would have been far far better if you could have every soldier in your party. I've never understood or liked the artificial limits imposed on how many people can join you on a mission. Especially when we know the engine can handle it as they all join you in the last boss fight.