Is Geneforge getting a remake?

I recently finished Avernum 2: The Crystal Souls and I really enjoyed it, as I have Avernum 1 and Avadon 1 and 2. I am itching to play another Spiderweb game, and I have the whole Geneforge series on Steam, but I am wondering if I should just wait for a remake? How different are they from the modern Spiderweb games? If there is a remake, but it is five years away, i'll just start the series anyway :) My PC can't handle Divinity: Original Sin, and I know Avadon 3 is probably a year away.

I am itching to play another Spiderweb game, and I have the whole Geneforge series on Steam, but I am wondering if I should just wait for a remake? How different are they from the modern Spiderweb games?

The older Geneforge games have their charms, but they also lack a lot of modern conveniences. For example: in the first three games, every item you carry counts against encumbrance, and no Geneforge game has the junk bag. The series gets progressively more 'modern' from each game to the next, and since I started with the first I can't say how hard it would be to adjust going back.

I think my favorite thing in G1 and G2 is having all zones on one map. No traveling through a zone (or two) to reach a different area, no zones stuck inside other zones. The latter madness reached peak insanity in G4, with The Titan's Hall buried in Sealed Catacombs which is hidden under Monarch's Realm which is sitting under Northern Grosch. The former, of course, was worst with G3's boats, but there's a lot of trekking between maps in G4 and G5 as well.

Basically, I'm tired of repetitive and pointless walking.

I think I prefer the earlier ones over the later ones. The 'modernising' process for me has leeched some of the charm out of them. Especially the most annoying popup after I just received a quest telling me exactly what I was just told.

Same here. I actually liked the encumberance ststem, namely because you could sell a lot more stuff, but also because it took all the challenge away from juggling encumberance with defense-- you can have very little strength and have more than enough of a weight limit to wear everything I need.

Also, I find it absurd that you can't sell ale and wine-- those are trade items in any civilization, right there, same with blankets and rolls of cloth. If you can sell sacks of grain, then you should be able to sell blankets and booze.

I mentioned in your G3 thread all the huge improvements that took place between G2 and G3 (only disad, and it's a major one, is the loss of the ability to still move if you have AP left over-- e.g. if you attack with 8 AP, then you have 3 AP left to move away) All of the improvements I could think of are listed in one of if not my most recent post in your thread.

Especially the most annoying popup after I just received a quest telling me exactly what I was just told.

Hell yes, this.

I think the idea is (1) that the player shouldn't have to spend all their time picking up and selling items worth 1gp, and (2) that those items sell for little enough compared to other stuff, that they just aren't worth tracking. In fact, 2 is actually how the game does it. Those items ARE assigned values internally, but for items with very tiny values, it just says unsellable instead of 1gp or whatever.

I thought the most annoying popup was the one that happened while I was walking but since I simultaneously used the numpad to select my character I accidentally closed it before I could even see what it was about so I had to reload my last save.

I was happy to see minor items become unsellable. How many adventurers, outside of video games, spend half their time filling their pockets with junk and playing merchant? Not that a game couldn't have a merchant for a protagonist. There's an idea for the remake - an optional mode in which you take the role of Proof at the Junkyard. It's a hard life out in the waste, dealing with rogues, spirits, and 'adventurers' selling hot items and blood-spattered armor, but the occasional lucky find makes it all worthwhile.