Surprise! It's End-game!

lordhoff

Well, I just finished my first play through. The end took me by surprise - somehow thought more missions were coming to unravel who was behind the Tawon remergence. Well, that'd be II I suppose :)

Anyway, although there were some frustrations along the way and I didn't really learn some of the mechanics until rather late in the game, it was enjoyable and held my interest. Rather devious, though - having a very long protracted flight fighting thru numerous enemies so there was little left by the time I was back in the black fortress. I guess I'll find out how one can get past all the assasins to Red Beard without being a shadow walker and that wonderous teleport thing. Luckily, I had quite a few potions to speed up it's use. Somehow, every person/monster is faster then me so I can't imagine it being a matter of out running them. Now it's off to gender bending cause I'm going the way of the mage this time. Somehow, I think that unlike most RP games, playing a mage won't be the easiest way to go. Nathalie, um, fainted a lot :)

Playing a mage (sorceress) depends on the right build. The center column gives you the chance to absorb magical attacks to replenish your attacks sooner than normal and reduce damage. I never thought Nathalie was weak, but then I played a sorceress for my first run through.

Yeah, the game keeps implying there was going to be more quests. The first time through is a shock and got tweaked a bit in beta to allow you chances to shift equipment around before the last fight if you do it.

The other trick to keeping a sorceress alive is to make good use of her basic defensive self-buff, Shadow Charm. It significantly reduces the damage she takes and can last a very long time if she has high intelligence (which she should).

I wasn't using that enough - just learned its value (along with "daze") in the first few fights in the dungeon. Two socoresses, What's that smell, hope that isn't dinner (said by a bystander after the fight)?

EDIT: I wanted to say that one thing that really brought a smile to my face was the comments the released prisoners in the madgician's tower had on what we should do to their captor. Oh, and a "it really doesn't matter" question: can one get the shadow beast to talk and perhaps understand/help it?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I played thru with each character type. I resolved to defeat Redbeard in the last one just to see the end script. After he went into Godmode I decided to check the FAQs. Well, "The Corruption" is loaded and ready to go and I really don't want to go thru a long, drawn out fight. Besides, he's still Keeper in II so obviously I lost :) . Is there a way to get the ending scripts without killing Redbeard - just to sooth my curiosity?