Let's Play Geneforge 5

Blxz

Nooope Alwan along with Khyrik, Astoria, Shanti and Miranda are the most reasonable shapers you can find. And he would be more like astoria if the rebelion and how it started wasnt personal to him. I think he more than all understands the rebels. And at one point in the series he mentions that he doesnt agree with all the shaper laws and would change them if he could. He is pro shaper but not really a fanatic. He doesnt burn down geneforged people and anyone who questions him. He follows the rules sure. But more than once he was willing to bend or even break them. When he sees fit.

Remove the spoiler please for Blxz's eyes (since that actual spoiler may influence him to pick or avoid certain factions, it would for me), but what you said in the spoiler APPEARS to be correct. To a degree.

Alwan not following the rules he blindly worships (I don't recall him anywhere saying he doesn't like them) makes him a pragmatist\Hypocrite. He does burn down geneforged people with abandon, just not all of them. I remind you that ALL life-crafters human, Serviles or Drakons are geneforged and Alwan is after all of them.

Sure, he clearly doesn't call you a disgusting freak. But he is a fanatic that prefers the whole world to burn than Shaper Law to lose omnipotency. Every other end except the one you mention proves it. ;)

For Miranda, I agree. Shanti I never met (I think she's GF2) and Khyric I don't remember or haven't met.

Im sure you can't be pragmatic and a fanatic at the same time. Again he really doesnt worship them. He says so in g3 either in end of harmony or begining of dhonal's. I wont say exactly what he said because you're playing the game.

Second. He doesnt burn down any geneforged people with abandon. He kills any staunch rebels because he knows full well that one shaping person alone can cause all kinds of pain. That is more military strategy than anything i think. Even if it weren't so most life crafters are not interesting in hearing the other side of the story. I don't think he bears any particular hatred for serviles. He thinks geneforged humans are foolish and he pitties them to some degree(as they really aren't told about the consequences or risks among others). Drakons on the other hand are the one thing he would burn into extinction since basically all evils of the rebelion are caused by them and they are proof of the dangers on uncontroled shapping yada yada.

And again that isn't true. Last i checked he didnt burn down half therestria or release the full might of resourcefull uncontroled shapping etc etc in an attempt to win the war. Thats what the drakons did. Alwan is not astoria sure. But he has valid reasons not to be and that sure as hell does not put him as the direct oposite alternative to drakons.

You did meet khyrik. He appears in geneforge 4. He's the trajkovite shaper that you "rescue" from groshc(how do you spell it).

Episode 54

Just in case, I won't mention exactly what it was, but you made a very accurate prediction about something there that I haven't figured at the time while it became very handy later on.

Did you read any of my spoilers about Dilame in other threads? Cause I kinda have been pretty heavily mentioning it before figuring out there are people that haven't played the last game.

I'm not aware what you are referring to. I rewatched the episode but can't see anything particularly prophetic in it, unless you refer to the poison in the wine. That's more the experience of spiderweb software games rather than any concrete knowledge though. Jeff normally has some sort of helper alternatives for players who don't invest as heavily into combat orientated stuff.

But rewatching has made think about Alwan more. I think that is the faction I am currently drifting towards. Trakovites look good but they have someone I deeply disrespect as their leader which turns me off. Rebels frustrate me and Astoria strikes me as too close to the awakened from earlier games (ie. idealistic and naive). Despite that, you've mentioned there are other factions. Not sure what I will meet just yet so I am holding out for something to sway my jaded, war-weary heart.

But rewatching has made think about Alwan more. I think that is the faction I am currently drifting towards. Trakovites look good but they have someone I deeply disrespect as their leader which turns me off. Rebels frustrate me and Astoria strikes me as too close to the awakened from earlier games (ie. idealistic and naive). Despite that, you've mentioned there are other factions. Not sure what I will meet just yet so I am holding out for something to sway my jaded, war-weary heart.

Their leader i think in this game for once isn't fake as hell. And for once she also doesnt try to paint herself as this enlightened self righteous hero. On that game she is true to herself and down to earth. Worth seeing her faction once.

Astoria is indeed strikingly close to the awakened. But she isn't at all that naïve. She's just tired of the war and realises she isn't the only one.

And alwan sure is charismatic. My thoughts on him are already expressed.

But to be honest just follow you jaded war weary heart.

Owenrus: Yes. I agree with 90% of what you said in post 203.

But you forget that most of his speeches from GF3 (those I heard) to GF5 are about the wisdom of the Shaper law and how deviating from it causes all hell break lose. And then he breaks Shaper law in all games. And I would say that in GF4, his deviation significanly helps the Unbound to be created because in the canon ending... Alwan loses and Unbound are created. Things would have been different if an exceptionally powerful Life-crafter (the player) has been executed as Shaper Law dictated, the moment he stepped in Dilhame.

Oh, and Khyric the Trakovite is as much a Shaper as Toroth the Drayk Blxz kills (Haven't watched the episodes, just going from the titles). :) He certainly is not one of the sane shapers. He's an ex-Shaper.

Anyway, you go very well over the reasons I respect Alwan. But in the end, he was an enemy. I wish all the Shapers were as honorable but like all of them, I HAD to stop their evil empire.

I also 100% agree that the worst in the region are the Drakons, not the Shapers. They are so much different in goals than the sane Rebels that I (at least in my mind) don't count them as the same faction.

To me it is Shapers, rebels, Drakons. Not Shapers, rebels.

Blxz:

I think that is the faction I am currently drifting towards

Then you have your answer... :)

But please, do me a favor and do Trakovites too after you finish with Alwan.

No time to record mid week as it is coming into election time in Australia and this means my work is going into overdrive. My expected midweek chance has been eaten up.

In the meantime I have a little midweek special: photo's of parts of my 'geneforge' as alhoon likes to say. Enjoy the rather bland photos of sexy bacteria. Bonus points if you can identify them.

Table swab

Cat Swab

Environment Swab

No time to record mid week as it is coming into election time in Australia and this means my work is going into overdrive. My expected midweek chance has been eaten up.

In the meantime I have a little midweek special: photo's of parts of my 'geneforge' as alhoon likes to say. Enjoy the rather bland photos of sexy bacteria. Bonus points if you can identify them.

Table swab

Cat Swab

Environment Swab

Does the cat swab have fungi? Looks like it does. Also pour or spread plating? Or neither?

Poor lighting unfortunately but the cat swab has the biggest colonies of any swab. Only a few of the though which I assume means the cat is relatively clean. (at least clean of things that grow on agar)

Also, may I ask what you mean by "pour or spread plating"? I'm not familiar with the phrase exactly.

Poor lighting unfortunately but the cat swab has the biggest colonies of any swab. Only a few of the though which I assume means the cat is relatively clean. (at least clean of things that grow on agar)

Also, may I ask what you mean by "pour or spread plating"? I'm not familiar with the phrase exactly.

Microbial isolation techniques. Pour plate, spread plate and streak plate. The first two looked like pour/spread. I was actually surpised since they looked very well done.

Microbial isolation techniques. Pour plate, spread plate and streak plate. The first two looked like pour/spread. I was actually surpised since they looked very well done.

Sterilised cotton swabs which were then smeared over the agar. The most simple method really. I required many different samples and used the most readily available method given that I was working at home in a non-controlled environment.

Making the agar and trying to keep that sterile was actually the hardest part. Although I'm helped by the low temperatures where I live.

I think my biggest mistake was the homemade sterile saline mixture I used to moisten the swabs was slightly too salty and killed off large portions of the bacteria I tried to transfer. (Either that or my house is surprisingly clean of bacteria.)

Sterilised cotton swabs which were then smeared over the agar. The most simple method really. I required many different samples and used the most readily available method given that I was working at home in a non-controlled environment.

Making the agar and trying to keep that sterile was actually the hardest part. Although I'm helped by the low temperatures where I live.

I think my biggest mistake was the homemade sterile saline mixture I used to moisten the swabs was slightly too salty and killed off large portions of the bacteria I tried to transfer. (Either that or my house is surprisingly clean of bacteria.)

Ok next time if you think you made that mistake look for some bad ham and try to culture from it. If the culture grows well while others don't it means you put too much salt. If not. Congrats. Your house is clean.

The cotton swab method seems cheap and effective. I'll keep in mind when im doing my project.

is the start of a massive session. I recorded 12 videos today due to the public holiday in Australia. Enjoy the sound of my voice when I am still sounding fresh and optimistic.

The eagle eyed among you may notice my nice new endcard that pops up right at the end of the video. Feedback welcome.

is out. I actually do find myself sympathising with some of the rebels here. I like Mekkhen, and Greta isn't too bad. I may join them, pretty much the only thing that would turn me off now would be a deeply disrespectful move by the leader. Unlikely to happen. I mean it would pretty much have to be an attempt on my life or some such.

Okay, now I have a second favorite Blxz Geneforge voice, after Alexia. Half Royal Scots Drakon Guards, half Kamikaze Highlanders.

Btw, in “sneak” situations I used to go into combat mode and hit myself with a speed spell…then I could run around all I liked and the guys I was avoiding had to take turns. It’s a little irritating with lots of creations because you have to skip through their turns, so you may not like it for a Let’s Play, but it saved me a few reloads.

"He was Scottish, and he disagreed with me!" -- love it! Interesting to see how you consider the different factions; I like that part of your Let's Play. I don't know if your latest took you all the way to Taygen so I won't say anything about him just yet. (I don't remember in enough detail to know how close he is to places you've been.)

Glad you kept your Drayk...just because I like drayks so much. And as you have seen they are handy for fighting drakons.

Blxz did you reach Taygen already?

Not yet, I went south from Perikalia and haven't uploaded just yet. The video was average and I wasn't my usual happy self so I've taken this week off.

We've had an election called in Australia and I work for an MP so there have been some huge days lately. Once my fingers uncramp I'll get around to edits and uploads and more recording.

Who is Taygen anyway? He has been mentioned by Ghaldring and Alwan I think. I assume he is the final faction leader? No idea what stance he could take though since we already have all the different opinion choices between shaper and rebel. Still, will be interesting to meet this person.

• 2 weeks later...

He's added a couple more, but is a little disappointed in the longer fights. Ep. 79 has a clever section where he speeds up the fight and adds some soothing music to make it easy on the viewer....if I'd thought of that, I'd've recommended "Yakety Sax" (

). Good user friendly speed-up anyway.

Indeed. That was a horrible episode to play; the offscreen enemies took about 30 seconds to walk around each and every turn. It is hard to notice during the speedup but I made liberal use of the pause recording button during that mammoth fight. Originally had it all narrated but the poor narration and lack of onscreen content meant the speedup was the only justified solution for the viewer. I regret that my end of video conclusion was still a bit jaded though. The next videos though I'm back and enjoying the game. Took a week off playing and am back on the horse again having fun.

, &
are out and additional episodes are uploaded and queued for release. Still getting vids out everyday but expect the various series to jump around as I'm struggling to find time to run 4 series AND work through an election campaign AND work through my assignment/exam crunch AND keep volunteering with the ambulance. No rest for the wicked.

• 2 weeks later...

is out, as hinted by Alberich above. I am so very fortunate to have such involved viewers. Between Alhoon, Alberich and the 17 other fairly consistent viewers I'm doing quite well for such an old, relatively obscure game. Far more than I expected to watch. If you wanted a creation named Alberich feel free to let me know. I've held off naming one in your honour since I felt like I shouldn't throw names in without permission (although I did in the first few episodes...apologies alhoon).

is also out and is the start of a decently long recording session. Quite an interesting recording session from a story standpoint. Expect the updates to flow a bit until I run out of backlog again. Quite a struggle keeping it all going in between 14 hour work days but I'm so keen to keep going. Expect lower quality voice work as my voice is being run raw from work.

Thank you kindly! I took "Alberich" from Wagner's Ring cycle...the dwarf who fought gods and giants...so I dare say the name's public property by now. You've probably gathered that the drayks are my favorite creations (though "Fafner" is a more traditional dragon name than "Alberich," from the same source)...that said, I'll be delighted whatever you do and however you go.

Greatly enjoyed the episode! And I hope other viewers will respect the fun you're having and not spoil anything about Taygen or his faction. Commander Pitzer sounds as if he was commissioned from the ranks...at least I detect a bit of the stereotypical "British NCO" accent in him.

btw, for pronouncing "ennui," try "I Get a Kick Out of You," intro section (Which I suspect you'd enjoy anyway -- here's Sinatra: https://www.youtube....ch?v=bRW5dwM7PW0.)

I haven't watched an episode in like a month. :) I can't be considered "consistent" viewer. But thank you anyway.

And yes, I plan to keep watching them. I kinda try to avoid this thread as I'm waaay behind in episodes and I'm afraid of spoilers on what will happen. I know what happens in the game, I don't know what you do in the situation. So, I'll take the opportunity to politely ask those ahead of me to avoid too spoily things.

Yes, I know who XXX is but I don't know (nor I want to know before hand) Blxz's opinion on him. Of course, if XXX is a shaper, Blxz will be sympathetic but there are some really horrid examples.

I will attempt to avoid spoiling the contents of the episodes. But there is a point coming up where I decide it is time to start making a stand. I can't sit on the fence forever. Still not chosen a faction yet but my actions are firmly setting me up for a certain 'side' in the shaper/rebel dichotomy. I guess that eliminates about half of the possible factions.

83 is a thoughtful episode and makes me keen to see which way you finally come down.

The fact that you have to put so much thought into deciding between these factions is a tribute to Jeff’s design, and I will enjoy seeing how it plays out with you. (In fact, together with some of the voices you do, that is my favorite aspect of the series.)

btw, I'm pretty sure the quote you were searching for was this one from Benjamin Franklin: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." The context of this quote is historically interesting: https://www.lawfareb...lin-really-said

Alhoon: Save made at the end of 83 and before I start 84. I actually couldn't quit out of that conversation and then reopen the conversation. There is no way to be non-committal and come back later. In the end I reloaded the save and recreated the last few minutes of the entire save offscreen so the next episode could resume in the right spot.

I 'may' (big 'if' here) go back and redo some other stuff on screen. I have been saving Greta's special relationship ability for just that reason. Hence the name of the next episode ' A divergent Path'.

Alberich: I've essentially run out of voices. I can't do accents and my repertoire is very small. I've no wish to repeat the Scottish one and my Indian one is disgustingly racist sounding so I won't be using that. I think it is going to be varying bits of bad British from here on.

As for the Article you linked. I disagree with the conclusion drawn by the writer. I actually think the meaning attributed to that phrase is strikingly similar to what was likely originally meant. Sure the focus is different but I see a very direct correlation between the modern meaning and the old one. Still, thanks for linking that article. I appreciate the chance to challenge my views.

If you want to see the original context, the Franklin Papers are available online and the letter is here: http://franklinpaper...vol=6&page=238a . Having read it I think the article got the historical context right, but I think you're right on the meaning of the specific phrase. After a long complaint about not being able to get money out of the Proprietors for Indian defense, the final paragraph starts out this way:

"In fine, we have the most sensible Concern for the poor distressed Inhabitants of the Frontiers. We have taken every Step in our Power, consistent with the just Rights of the Freemen of Pennsylvania, for their Relief, and we have Reason to believe, that in the Midst of their Distresses they themselves do not wish us to go farther. Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Such as were inclined to defend themselves, but unable to purchase Arms and Ammunition, have, as we are informed, been supplied with both, as far as Arms could be procured..."

....i.e., we the legislature gave them all the

help and weapons we could, consistent with our powers, and even under the constant danger from Indian attack, they didn’t want us to assume further powers because they were worried about the encroachment on their liberties. And good on 'em for being that way. Salt of the earth, those boys. (So, come on, proprietors, pony up!) Fascinating if I am

reading it right because he is using a negative aphorism to praise someone (the frontiersmen) for not wanting to give up any liberty, rather than criticizing someone else for wanting to do so.

Alberich has beaten me to it.

has indeed been released. I have begun to make a choice. It is not complete as I still haven't chosen a faction but this choice will limit my future faction choice. This is the end of the beginning but not yet the beginning of the end.