Let's Play Geneforge 5

Blxz

Yes. But it's a spoiler to tell you. So, I'll just tell you this: "Avoid wrecking the important plans of any faction leader and DO NOT stop some of their super-weapons". I'm afraid I can't tell you more. I find your originality more important than telling you now those plans and what would wreck them. Yes, some decisions you'll make will probably cut off some factions without you knowing. That's the game and that's life.

I would advise you to keep saves. Even in a different folder if yours fills up. I BARELY avoided screwing up because I was "exploring" factions immediately. I.e saying "sure, I'll join you!" read the dialogue and saw the offered quests and then loaded the pre-commiting save. Because once you betray a faction they will NEVER take you back.

To see if you've gone too far... talk with Astoria about joining her. If she says to you "you're too close to the Shapers for me (Shaper councilor) to trust you!" you're too far. Then talk to Alwan. If he says you're too close to the rebels, you're too far.

HOWEVER there are NPCs that can change people's perceptions of you.

As for the "too much work": It took me roughly 1-2 hours of "replay" for each of the endings since some quests are faction specific. I still haven't done one of the endings as it requires too terrible (for my view) decisions. And no, I'm not talking about Litalia. I did that 3rd.

For that last faction i just cheated to adjust my opinions so I could join.

I found that while he is truly disturbing and the quests are terrible, by the time I reached it I had finished the game multiple times and this was the final ending. Therefore it didn't bother me to do the quests so I could see that factions ending.

I didn't replay until much later -- and while the different endings are different, I didn't find the differences so great as to warrant a lot of trouble. (But of course if you replay after a long wait and have forgotten a lot of the game, the replay is good for its own sake.) There’s an old thread around somewhere about how to join all the factions in the same game…but I agree with Alhoon. It’s more fun to watch with your original thoughts, and you can always save collect-‘em-all for a later play (or a partial replay from an earlier save).

I'm interested in this 'dastardly' other person now. I know of Alwan, Astoria, Litalia and one of the drakons...probably ghaldring or someone like that. This final person must be pretty evil if the others pale by comparison. I'm almost tempted. I wonder if they make a good case, but then I can't really see myself joining a rebel anyway. Not considering the narrative I've built up about my characters views in this game. Time will tell.

And no episode released today. I am trying to keep to a schedule now where every geneforge release is on an even day and march had 31 days so that means 2 odd days in a row. Expect the next episode tomorrow sometime (these timezones sure are confusing.)

Watching episode 39. Quality wise... at some points I can't listen you over the ambient sound.

I was honored that you mentioned me again in the end of the episode. And I'm a man.

Playing a bit of GF3 and these videos make me ache for more.

Wow, that eccentric leather tanner that thinks not butchering the animal before you work its leather is like marrying a woman without talking to her has REALLY impressive magic items for sale! I probably have missed that. There were times about that level when I really wished for a bit extra dex (say... when fighting Unbound).

You mention you got a cannister for Vlish in Kaz. I haven't found that. Was it in a mechanics only area?

Episode 40. I can't imagine what the guards in Kratoa-Kel must be thinking.

"There's the creature that was once a rebel and now works for Rawal but killed our captain for Astoria. He's at the gates. Making an army of Vlish, showing his expertise in the shaping arts by... making them more tasty? Does he eat Vlish? Does he eats drakons? "

Truth be told, I would be a little suspicious as you often arrive with a much smaller (and tastier) force than you leave with.

About fighting the Ghlaak with the Vlish: You did very well in close combat, probably because you increased the strength of the Vlish; I think you could have cleared the town. Perhaps with an expendable Thand or something.

About the Borebugs: Truth be told, they are better than the Unbound. They (mostly) damage crops, not completely destroying them. Way worse things have been happening in wars; it was a time honored tradition to destroy crops sometimes even on one's country (scortched earth).

As for other evils of the Shapers aside of Serviles that you mentioned, I can think of more: Power-hoarders, too authoritarian, genocidical (on drayks, drakons, gazers), uncaring.

While Drakons share part of those qualities the majority of the rebels don't seem to. A good part of the rebellion was against the use of the Unbound and I doubt they know about the bore-bugs either. Your opinion may vary of course. I just make clear (again) my opinion.

Background sound, well. Not much that I can say really other than to repeat that it does get better. (broken record yet?)

As for the alhoon reference, be prepared to be called an 'it' at least 2 or 3 times more. And...don't get too attached to your creation. It 'may' be killed four or five times in the near future.

At some point I will start keeping track of how many times each creation dies and start adding numbers. Let's just say I wouldn't like to be a creation of the mighty Blxz lifecrafter.

I have fixed that upload link. Somehow I managed to link my last post to episode 69 instead of 66. Blame to change in daylight savings time in my timezone if you'd like.

Either way, the link now takes you to the correct episode so some of you can take a step back in time and get a bonus episode too.

Just watched one episode of this. Remind me to watch the rest in exactly one month will you?

I'm not sure I understand the reference? What's happening in a month?

FIRST THING FIRST: I make quite a few remarks about the quality of the recordings. This doesn't mean the quality is bad, I just offer it as a kind of "while it's good it could be improved" kind of thing. Don't get it as criticism because it's not.

Episode 41: I... can't read the letters very well in that one at 720p. I could in previous episodes. There's also the usual occasional blurring of the screen but it's not too terrible. Not sure what's wrong or if anything is wrong for that matter.

The discussion with Preva, that says she's not a rebel just wants to help Serviles but if Alwan finds her she will die in pain? That's one of the most important reasons I support rebels in a nutshell and while I wouldn't align with Alwan.

Loved your comment with the guy that rents out mistreated creations, that you don't like that you have to be a "heartless bastard" to be on the shaper side. I actually find that realistic considering my opinion on the Shapers. :p

About Benhold quest chain: I found it very interesting and rewarding. I don't know how far you are in it, nor I'll tell you where\how it ends of course, just mentioning that I liked it a lot.

WAIIIT THERE: You never finished GF4?!? Buddy, you don't know what you're missing! How far did you reach? Both sides have very interesting battles there.

Episode 42: The slight blur continues. :(

Dinara, the crystal-making outsider shows us another prime example of servile abuse. I think if I find some time, I'll load my pre-finalle save in GF5 and go kill everyone in Perikalia to blow some steam.

Yes, I know mass murdering those that don't agree with you is not a nice thing. But it's a game... I can pretend to be an Unbound for a bit.

As a note, about what that blacksmith said about puresteel: I think there's a drayk that can work pure-steel.

Things you missed cause you asked us to say: In the "beautiful park" in ~min 6... there's a guy calling you "Hey! Here quickly!" that you totally ignored... And if it's the meeting I think it is, it's kinda story-important. Not terribly, but enough to warrant going there to see the poor guy.

Prison: Pepoy?! That's the name of the imprisoned Servile? I think I met that guy in GF3, Harmony island. I could be wrong though.

Agent Gray and her creepy take on how she strips a sentient creature of free will gave me shudders. I'm definetely going there to kill everyone.

Sage Pavyl, the brain-washed mage that tells you that even learning a single spell requires permission by Shapers: Another reason I hate the Shapers but if that was the only thing and the rebels were mass murdering people with Unbound, I would back the Shapers. As for the "look what happens when not everything is controlled by Shapers!" well, if they weren't as power-crazy the rebellion would have way less members.

Episode 43: The occasional blur from other episodes is kinda more frequent in this one.

ROTGROTH fight: Just mentioning that I used crystals heavily on the massed Rots.

Sea caves: I actually think you carved through those because you were... 28th level.

Episode 44:

Wow... that Gyllaran is as strong as an Unbound. Well, at least in the beginning.

And that's a sweet, sweet robe. I don't recall my equipment but that would come handy for at least 10 levels from yours.

Yes, the graphical fidelity is appalling. I wish I could go back and record them all again. I've learned so much in the past 6 months.

The biggest cause of all the graphical issues is that my cpu throttles down to 800mhz because it has literally no cooling except ambient. The very fact that it didn't just shut itself off during the boot phase is a testament to the ambient cooling of corsair liquid devices. Once I actually managed to provide power to the thing and it started working and the cpu runs beautifully now and recording runs very cleanly.

Long story short, expect bad video quality for another 20 episodes.

EDIT: And I'll check out that dude in the 'park' place next recording session this weekend. I'm curious although I barely noticed it when I rewatched the recording just now.

Let me start by saying that most winter-season series I watch have ended and most summer-season haven't started. So I go on a binge on your episodes

Episode 45:

Back to the fateful path I see... 11 episodes after learning why mention of the Unbound give shudders to many players to this day.

I find the idea with the fast-pace nice, especially in that case (let's not pretend we didn't eagerly wait for you to be running from the Unbound again :) ), but I would suggest you don't rely too much to it in undiscovered areas.

Liked the music too.

The fight: That must be the weakest Unbound in the game... Not this atrocious area attack, needs two attacks to take down a Vlish... disappointing.

Meeeeeeh... The Unbound killed some interesting and likeable NPCs that were hunging there. :( Although, truth be told you would LOVE THEM since they do help to defeat the Unbound. I found them at like lvl 40, at which time the Unbound missed 80% of the time.

The part where you go to a low level area with 6 max-strength 22 level Vlish was ... entertaining. You went full Unbound on the poor Cryoras.

And your math was off indeed but just a bit. The chance to miss 3 times in a row with a 75% chance to hit is about 1.6%

About the Gerash-Kel... you have been warned what lies there. But, in case you haven't clear the place yet, I think there's artifact stuff there.

Episode 46:

See? That's a real Unbound. You're lucky most of your guys were behind a corner cause the area damage and curse effects stink.

You probably have cleared that area by now, but if you don't: It's supposed to be a mid-level stealth area. By the end of the game you would be so powerful that you could walk in there without blessing and have your tier 5 creations wipe the Unbound out.

As I've said in a post above, near the end game, I took down the whole Rebel force guarding their borders, including the 4 Unbound. Together.

However I completely understand where you come from and why you see it as impossible and why you avoid areas that are rumored to maybe hold an Unbound. It's the widely recognised "Geneforge 5 Unbound fear syndrom". I'm 36 years old, but to this day if my mother tells me "eat all your food or the Unbound will come for you in the night!" I would.

Not really trusting that the atrocious senses of the Unbound would keep them away from me, I was leaving creations for them to destroy as I ran away.

As for the Western Shadow Road... I had a completely different approach to it, thanks to my rebel leanings.

The fight in 11:40. While I don't really mind, it seemed an interesting fight to watch a bit more slowly. But I respect your choices anyway.

As for the dying, I would suggest retreating BEHIND your creations as you did before. For running low on essence, may I suggest you use ice instead of the essence-heavy searer?

Episode 47:

Can't be 100% sure but I think there was artifact stuff there.

Episode 48:

The Middle Shadow Road is notoriously difficult. I treated it IIRC as a stealth area. It's easy to evade the monsters with the stone I think.

Secret Lab: I never ever got a quest to save the prisoners found there. Which had their stories and all, so I guess it's a Shaper quest.

As for the creations, later in the game when I returned there for a different quest I was able to calm them.

About your "Astoria can't see there can't be peace": The Drakons are not the whole rebellion. Pyhroviass tells you so. Greta more or less told you saw when you met her I think. What do you think she was trying to talk the Drakons OUT of, when she said "let's hope the Drakons will see reason, there's a first time for everything"? ;)

I would dare say that the hard-core Shapers and the Drakons are blind. Astoria and Greta are not in my opinion.

Meh... I see you retreated in the end. :( A pity. You could totally kill him with that Vlish army if you used some of those potions to heal.

Episode 49:

Kyshaak. Good. Now you can realize that you'll need 18+ intelligence by the end of the game. :)

Make 4 of these beauties and start taking out the Unbound.

Very good episode indeed. Not my favorite, but nice. And of course, I can't stop BEFORE I see you making an artifact.

Episode 50:

Eh... why didn't you enchant the gloves? The misty crystal was IMO a very good choice.

And although you probably figured it by now: Having 2 max-strength Vlish instead of 1 Kyshaak is ... a waste of essence.

Episode 51:

Ouch... the Poddling play-ground or how it was called. One of the worst areas IMO. I hope you did fast-track this one with the near endless area-attacking debuffing critters.

As far as Kyshaaks being better than Vlish... well, they're 4th tier creations, and have a base cost like x4. They are supposed to be better. :) With their huge health, you throw a regen on them, hide in a corner and wait till they kill your foes.

Oh, That's where Balme was hiding...

I will repeat that the shaper in the game could well end with tons of intelligence to be able to have a nice big army worth 900+ essence.

Man, that was a big enough post.

Well, can't say I said anything important apart of saying that I think there was some artifact stuff in the Middle Shadow Road.

And that you forgot to enchant the gloves.

Oh, and another thing: Unbound aren't resistant to magic and Kyshaak can take the damage. Keep them away from the energy burst of an Unbound, blessed-protected-hasted-regenerating and you should be able to kill Unbound without casualties.

High living tool doors are usually quest rewards that get opened by some one when you finish their quest or kill some one for their key. Raising Mechanics will reduce the number of living tools needed with 9 or more needed for that area.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. 11 living tools is nothing. :)

where he goes after an Unbound, is called "Unbound, Unravelled, and Undone."

FIIIINAAAAALYYY! ! !

Of course, I had to watch the fight even if it's waaaaaay ahead of where I am in the story. I've seen poor Blxz suffering too much to leave this for later.

You can hear Blxz doubtful that it goes well... a kind of "It's too good to be true!" attitude. As if expecting the Unbound to suddenly pop a message of "and then, the creature heals!" or something. :D

Believe it... You just KILLED AN UNBOUND!

PS. It didn't happen in a short amount of time; it happened when you upgraded from creations with 150 health to creations with 800 health.

Loved your description of post-Unbound Ephoria Blxz. I was like: "Phewwww... now that I know I am on the top 15 most powerful creatures in Terrestia, I can get on with the game".

You now know, deeply in your heart that there are two kinds of computer gamers: Those that have killed an Unbound and those that have not.

Blxz, do you want to have a reaaaaaaally good self-back pat? Watch episode 34. Jump back in time. Relive it. See the horror. The nightmare you now woke out of!

About the "20 XP for an Unbound :/ " part: Yeah, that's probably because they're not very high level, but just powerful. So, when your creations get to 35 level and you have dex artifacts on, Unbound won't even be able to hit them. They will miss 80% of the time.

At which time, you would find a lot more enemies that do more damage than Unbound.

Unbound and the Patchworks: What did I do: I got a Fyora to get the attention of the Unbound before I went to fight the Patchworks. I was a Shaper, not life-crafter. Expendable creations are just that.

Blxz's next episode, where he goes after an Unbound, is called "Unbound, Unravelled, and Undone." Which is rather witty if you know this -

I'm interested that was picked up so very quickly. Congrats. I thought of that song because there is a line somewhere in that song (if I recall correctly) that says "a simpering, whimpering child again" which I thought was very fitting considering my previous encounters with unbound. Each playlist on my channel has some sort of (very loose) theme to the title names and I like to play around for my own amusement. Congrats on making the connection.

As for the rest of the comments. I'm very pleased the episode has been so well received. It was a massive relief. Almost like back in the old Final Fantasy games where I could defeat say, Emerald Weapon for the first time or take out one of the Dark Aeon's in the other game. It is a massive relief. But how can I top this new achievement? Especially considering how I struggle so much with some normal enemies.

There is indeed.

I once saw a great courtroom cartoon...see if this link works: https://books.google... court"&f=false - and scroll up a little.

The Geneforge games normally include a really tough but optional combat area where you can “top” just about any achievement you care to name. (I honestly do not remember what that was like in G5.) But even if you skip the hardest fights, I think you’ll top this one when you decide on the right faction, and bring the best possible end to the war. (The suitable values for "right" and "best possible" being left up to the player, which of course is you.)

Btw, I looked up one of your older episodes where you confronted a captain guarding the approaches to the western lands. I loved the “bored civil servant” voice you gave him, though your reading of Alexia is still my favorite.

Episodes are trickling out for the other series I am running but I've run out of my G5 backlog. Just finished submitting a big bio assignment; I've been up to my eyeballs in bacteria cultures around the house so haven't done a lot of recording. Keen to continue, likely to be this weekend although I might squeeze a session in during the week if I can find some silence and the wife leaves the house.

up to my eyeballs in bacteria cultures around the house so haven't done a lot of recording

Everyone that plays these games will appreciate your efforts to create a geneforge. Just make sure to write on the pool "should not be used to make Unbound" and on the other side "Trakjov, hands off!"

Episode 52: I had problems listening to you in this one.

You probably have forgot about this, but in min 7, I see you removed your pants and are now more vulnerable to cold. Ironically realistic. :)

The battle with the Eyebeast there was one of the most difficult for me.

Episode 53: I will say it just cause it's funny enough to require being said:

You shouldn't be fighting Cryoras without your pants on.

Everyone that plays these games will appreciate your efforts to create a geneforge. Just make sure to write on the pool "should not be used to make Unbound" and on the other side "Trakjov, hands off!"

Wait. He's actually tryna do that o.O

Amaze!

I'm tryna create the Unbound myself.

(Not really just a tinny lizard thingy thats powerfull. I was very disapointed to find out no organism creates fire)

For reals the only reason im doing biology is to create dragons.

(in compliance to leaving sanity at the door dont judge me folks.)

I'm tryna create the Unbound myself.

(Not really just a tinny lizard thingy thats powerfull. I was very disapointed to find out no organism creates fire)

So... your plan is to make a fyora. I find Blxz's ambitions to create a geneforge more... wait.

You plan to spend years and years to learn slowly how to make a small lizard, understanding the procedure, the risks etc.

Blxz is creating a geneforge to bypass all that.

Where have I heard that kind of disagreement?

Owenrus: DO NOT enslave the clones-of-humans-with-big-noses you'll eventually make! NOTHING would have happened if the Shapers were Astoria-like from their early days. No rebellion. No destruction. No Unbound. No Purity Agent.

So... your plan is to make a fyora. I find Blxz's ambitions to create a geneforge more... wait.

You plan to spend years and years to learn slowly how to make a small lizard, understanding the procedure, the risks etc.

Blxz is creating a geneforge to bypass all that.

Where have I heard that kind of disagreement?

Owenrus: DO NOT enslave the clones-of-humans-with-big-noses you'll eventually make! NOTHING would have happened if the Shapers were Astoria-like from their early days. No rebellion. No destruction. No Unbound. No Purity Agent.

But... But... I created them. They owe me full obedience. For all the eternity. And their kids and grandkids too all their descendants!

But i will head your warnings. Idk if i can handle purity agents amongst others.

Also tbh i could make a big lizard that is powerfull. I just don't wanna die. Its not like i have magic to kill it.

Keep working on the geneforge Blxz! Don't get distructed. Owenrus is already making Fyoras that can't breathe fire and starts writing ethics about not creating creatures too big for him to control safely and how cloned-humans-with-big-noses he will eventually make will have to serve him for eternity.

They will need your geneforge.

*SOMETHING ON NOT RELEASING UNBOUND*

Keep working on the geneforge Blxz! Don't get distructed. Owenrus is already making Fyoras that can't breathe fire and starts writing ethics about not creating creatures too big for him to control safely and how cloned-humans-with-big-noses he will eventually make will have to serve him for eternity.

They will need your geneforge.

*Scribles a note somewhere to remind me to criminalise cricticism and disidence when taking over*

*Stops talking about his work with outsiders*

*expects blind compliance from outsiders too*

Episode 54

Just in case, I won't mention exactly what it was, but you made a very accurate prediction about something there that I haven't figured at the time while it became very handy later on.

Did you read any of my spoilers about Dilame in other threads? Cause I kinda have been pretty heavily mentioning it before figuring out there are people that haven't played the last game.

As a note, I disagree that Alwan was one of the most reasonable Shapers. He was a fanatic that, if the game had interest in that stuff, would have your Drayks killed the moment you stepped in Dilame.

He is a patriot, brave and he is useful. But fanaticism is never good and while Alwan is not dismissive on the power of Creations, he's blind as to how the Shaper Law he worships brought and empowered the rebellion.

Astoria on the other hand, can discern defeat when it looks her in the face and is willing to do what it takes to stop the war and possible total annihilation of the Shapers. Like treating servilles with the respect they deserve.

Alwan on the other hand, like the hardcore fanatic he is, prefers to never surrender even if it dooms everyone including the order he so much loves instead of deviating from the frought with mistakes path that Shapers of the past have set upon.

And a funny thing: "If you obey our laws, you have no problem with me" said the Shaper that broke and keeps breaking Shaper laws to win the war to the creature-that-should-not-exist according to those laws that has 3 forbidden creations trailing him. I laughed there...

Don't get me wrong, I respect Alwan (although I disagree with him) but his insistence on worshipping Shaper law by allowing exceptions to it seems funny.

Oh, and full disclosure here: I ratted out the whole thing about Gazaki Uss to Alwan, even though I had enough leadership to lie. When you go there you'll understand why I was annoyed with the Drakons even though I support the rebels. And I'm not the only one in the Rebellion that has been fed up with them. I remind you in GF4, the Cryo-drayk rebellion against the Drakons.

CLARIFICATION: Saying "I want to help" doesn't put you in a faction. You have to swear an oath. They clearly state that if you agree, you would join their faction.

CLARIFICATION2: Burning Kyshaak's don't hold even for one area; they hold together for a few rounds. And then they explode dealing lots of damage. They were very useful to me as suicide troops with their huge health. I would sit in the eeeedge of a zone, make one and send it towards my enemies. They would hack it appart and then it would blow up. Good for softening up enemies.