hmmm... a little help please

scorpio803

Alright so i went looking through the forums and i need a little help compiling the source code. Alright so i download the source code... can i get some step by step instruction on how how to compile it.

PS

i'm trying to learn java and i'm wondering if there is a program that can like translate code into another coding language then edit it and move it translate it back.

Glad to hear that someone else is interested. In order to get started you'll need to tell us what platform (Mac OS or Windows) you are working on, as this will determine which compiler you will need and what type of problems you'll likely encounter.

As to your second question, learning Java is a great thing, but to work on Blades of Exile you'll need to study up on C. It is simply not feasible to convert source code in one language to another language. Luckily, C is not a hard language to get started with, and shares much of its basic syntax with Java. Unfortunately, for either version of BoE, if you want to make any serious changes or really learn how the program works you're going to have to learn about the system libraries which it uses, which at least in the Macintosh case are so old they're unsupported. Still, that's no reason not to try.

The version of C you'll be wanting to learn is technically ANSI C and C99 specifically, but you shouldn't need to worry too much about that.

In order to learn it you can either get a book (which I highly recommend as it'll be a great reference to have around) or look things up on the internet. If you can get ahold of "The C Programming Language" 2nd edition by Kernighan and Ritchie, do so, as it's a very useful book to have. It's perhaps not the easiest to learn from, however. To be honest, I don't really know another good in-print book to learn from off the top of my head, although at a glance "Programming in C" by Kochan looks reasonable.

If you don't want to buy books (which can be expensive) or try to find good ones at libraries (which can be tough), you can always search the internet. This page is a really basic introduction, and this one looks ok too. This page seems to be a university course and looks like the best I've found just browsing around.

As to what compiler you should use, or, more to the point, which IDE, I can't answer very well, as I work primarily on Mac OS. There's always Microsoft Visual Studio, which isn't too bad and seems to be freely available to students. There's also Dev C++, which I didn't like very much and other people have had trouble using with BoE, and there may be others.

I have had no luck whatsoever with compiling anything on Dev-C++, every last Spiderweb source code has generated a dozen pages of errors.

As for Microsoft allowing free access to its Visual Studio program, it is part of a campaign called "Dream Spark". See https://downloads.channel8.msdn.com/

This is currently available only to registered students in 11 countries:United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, China, Germany, France, Finland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Belgium.

Quote:
Originally written by scorpio803:
Alright so i download the source code... can i get some step by step instruction on how how to compile it.
Look on my web page. There are short instructions on how to compile these sources under GCC.

Quote:
Originally written by scorpio803:
i'm using windows xp and which version of C whould i use/learn.
If you want to play with *original* BoE code then you have to learn Ansi C.

Source code edited by me has some C++ modifiactions and must be compiled as C++.