Glitch, infernal Larva...

eaintree

An hour later, the item just appeared in my inventory. Okay...

Also wanted to see what happened if I killed Vardegras right off when he's first chasing you around. You can kill him, but then the storyline plays out with him still there anyway through your fight with Miranda and your 2nd talk with him. When you get back to Proteus you tell him that you killed the dragon and you get the medal.

Is it possible it was always there? IIRC he gives you a charm with the same name as the item he takes, in that particular case. Some of the charms have small or faint icons, as well.

Alternately, it may be that it appears in one of your companion's inventories if yours is full, or if you aren't the one carrying the Larva.

I don't mean to doubt you here, but it seems unlikely that this is an actual glitch, given that it hasn't been reported by anyone else who's played the game, which is a lot of people at this point. (And since we can look at the code in the dialogue script, it would have to be a generalized bug and not one specific to this exchange, anyway, which makes it even more unlikely that no one else would have encountered it.) I don't suppose you still have that save from before you turned in the item?

All I can tell you is what happened... I'm 99% sure that it didn't show up at first... the item you give Nicodemus and the item he makes for you are similar visually but NOT identical-looking, and the item I have now simply was not there at first. And if my inventory was full it wouldn't have shown up in another character's inventory (which it didn't anyway, it showed up in my primary character's inventory after the fact), I would have instead seen the "you don't have room for this item, it falls to the floor" text, which I certainly didn't see.

Nope, don't have that save anymore. I'm too impatient and when it didn't originally show up I just continued without it.

Can you take some screenshots and upload them here? (Or your saves.) One of your inventory now, and if you have a recent save where the item is there, maybe one then also? And one if it returns again? As described, this is a really bizarre but also potentially serious bug.

Also: what did you do between the last time you saw the item, and when you just noticed it missing?

...I don't keep older saves, so I can't do a screenshot with it there right now, but I'll take one without and and see if it shows up again.

Hmm... I was playing last night, I noticed that Nicodemus' item hadn't shown up, posted here, kept playing, later noticed that it had shown up. Went to sleep... when I looked at my game this morning, it was gone again.

I was at the point in the game just before you go with Odil to fight Konstantina.