iPad question

jonpfl

In terms of what's available for iPad, either Avadon 1 or Avernum 1: Escape from the Pit would be a good starting point. The Avernum games tend to be more open-ended and focus on atmosphere and exploration, while Avadon is more linear and plot-focused. Avernum is longer, but Avadon is still easily long enough to last you through a flight; a full playthrough can take over 30 hours.

In terms of what's available for iPad, either Avadon 1 or Avernum 1: Escape from the Pit would be a good starting point. The Avernum games tend to be more open-ended and focus on atmosphere and exploration, while Avadon is more linear and plot-focused. Avernum is longer, but Avadon is still easily long enough to last you through a flight; a full playthrough can take over 30 hours.

Ok, thanks!

One of the legs of my flight is 17 hours so I will probably buy Avadon 1 and Avernum 1 : Escape from the Pit.

Thx

jonpfl

Wow. Mind if I ask where you're going? Even when I flew from Melbourne to Los Angeles it only took 14 hours.

I am flying back from Addis Ababa (capital of Ethiopia) to Dulles (with a 1 hour stop in Dublin for fuel). I believe it is 16.5 or 17 hrs.

My fiance and I are doing a 2 week safari in Tanzania.

Thx

jonpfl

Well, enjoy yourselves. I think a month is about the shortest trip I'd be willing to tolerate a 17-hour flight for, although I guess it depends on where I was going and why.

It was a hard call to fly that far but we didn't want to miss that much work. On the flight over, I will probably take an Ambien CR so hopefully it won't feel like a 17 hour flight!!

Also, I personally can only take about 2 weeks away from home and then want to get back.

Thx

jonpfl

Yeah, on a flight like that sleeping through as much as possible is a good strategy. On my flight they turned the lights off overnight, so trying to stay awake and use media devices throughout the whole thing would have been a good way to get eye strain as well as jet lag. I found it harder to sleep than I expected; I didn't get much sleep the night before the flight but it still took me a long time to drift off in those uncomfortable economy-class seats.

Hahaha, look at me acting like I'm all wise and worldly and stuff when that one flight was the first time I've been overseas in my life. Anyway, if you've got any more questions about Spiderweb games I'm happy to try and answer them, of course.

Sleeping is certainly an essential way to pass time on Pacific or US to Africa flights, they are just so long. Having a way to keep your devices charged that long can be problematic so a book or two or a book of puzzles is normally part of my travel kit in addition to my electronics.

Some planes now have outlets and/or USB chargers. But no, there's really no way to make a long flight fun. The seats are cramped and uncomfortable. Sleeping is hard. You just bear up as best you can and remember it's not the journey, it's the destination.

—Alorael, who dislikes flying even on one-hour jaunts. Planes are unpleasant and airports take too long while being also unpleasant. Come to think of it, given how more time is spent in airports than in the air when taking those very short flights maybe in his mind it's really the airports that make travel so annoying.