How to get steam copies converted to non-steam?

Deliphin

If that's what you're after, unfortunately Steam is a DRM at the end of the day so it's not going to yield unrestricted copies. Your best bet for getting Spiderweb Games if that's what you want is either through the Spiderweb website, Humble, or GoG.

That said, Jeff is pretty accomodating toward people who purchase his products, so someone more familiar with his exact policies may have a better answer for you.

If that's what you're after, unfortunately Steam is a DRM at the end of the day so it's not going to yield unrestricted copies.

This isn't universally true. Not every Steam game uses Steam's DRM: some will work fine if you launch them directly from their .exe file, even if you move the game directory out of your Steam library or uninstall Steam entirely. I don't know if this is specifically true of any Spiderweb games, though; I just tested it with the Steam version of Avernum 2: Crystal Souls and that one can only be launched through Steam.

Anyway, assuming the Geneforge series has the same limitations as A2:CS, my advice would be to email Spiderweb Software at support@spiderwebsoftware.com and see if they're willing to help you out. They may or may not be, since they get less money from Steam purchases than if you'd bought from them directly, but SW generally has pretty good customer service so it's worth a try.