Completionist?

Meri20098

How do you play Spiderweb games? Do you play as a run through where you just take care of the major quests just to get the plot? Or do you in your first time, try to complete every quest on the job boards, from the citizens, and activate every pylon for easy traveling?

I posted a while ago on how I thought Avernum 4-6 was really quick to the endgame and now I'm curious of your play styles in Avernum and Geneforge as those are the ones I've played :)

I try to find out all I can to try to build a "perfect" party or character. I find a lot of fun in crunching numbers, testing builds and fiddling with equations to maximize effects. I like the fact that a lot of games said web have a character editor or respeC options to allow me to do so. Plus extra replay options to run through with several different builds. I end up knowing far too much about the games, and sometimes have spent more time designing and testing than actually playing, especially after I've beaten a game once (I've beaten both Baldurs gate games on the first character I made, then have played dozens partly through ending up wanting to try a new different character before Im done) I've gotten hung up on games before where I can't find a way to maximize builds, especially if there is a lack of good story to give me inspiration to carry on. Or if there are too many options.

The he other thing I do are side quests before advancing the main quest. I'm interested in seeing everything in a game, because who knows when an easy simple easily overlooked quest is a key to getting some item power or skill that changes the game. Plus it allows you to be challenged by non-story related content, while letting you get more powerful so that when it comes to the main quest you can go through it without getting hung up and interrupted by something over your current difficulty level.

I always cheat my stats and eat just about every enemy that i can find. I just breeze thru the story and pick up the coolest gear available.

I dont edit gear so i have something to look forward to. There is 1 time I edited gear in G3 to give my melee guardian 50 ap. Pretty much everything in a zone was down after my turn.

if there's a quest to be done i'll generally do it, unless it involves doing something blatantly evil (deliberately killing noncombatants is usually where i draw the line) or giving up something worth significantly more than the quest reward (and even then i still might)

the geneforge series is obviously an unavoidable exception to that rule in that there are a bunch of mutually exclusive quests but even there it's surprising how many quest rewards you can squeeze out of each faction and still keep all your ending options open

I am very much a completionist, though I do balk at some of the more evil quests (deliberately killing helpless babies, etc). I also use hints/advice and save often, but do not use the editor/cheat codes. I play on normal difficulty with a party that I have used advice to build, but is not min/maxed away from my style (e.g. I do not use dual wielding even in A:EFTP).

• 3 weeks later...

I've only ever put significant time into Avernum and Avadon: Black Fortress so I can't really speak on Avernum 2-6, Avadon 2 and the Geneforge saga but the way I play is based on what I would do in real life. I am very much a role player. I always play the good guy as that's just my personality. I am a chaotic lawful person.

Anyways, I tend do to as many side quests as I can because it's fun and it gives me the full experience of the game. Plus that's how I train my party and get better gear, more items and more money. I like to explore the world and talk to people. Another thing is that in some games, the side quests are more fun than the main quest. An example for me would be Fallout: New Vegas.

I replay every game that I can beat without lethal frustration.

I usually

Chthuhlu saves the world-2 times

Avadon One- 3 times

Fallout One-5 times

Icewind Dale 1 Time (In 2nd playthrough)

Avernum The Pit-3 times

Eschalon BookOne-4 times

Eschalon Book Two-3 times

Eschalon book Three-1 time (Will play next 2nd time)

Knights of Pen and Paper-2 Times

Loren Amazon Princess-5 times

The Black Pits-2 times

Planet Stronghold-3 times

Seasons of the Wolf-2 times

Geneforge One-4 times

Geneforge Two-2 times

Geneforge Three-1 time (Just recently thanks to Moderators help and minor cheats)

Planescape Torment- 2 times

Magical Starsign-1 time (Recent)

Prince of Qin-2 times

Shaman King Soaring Hawk-2 Times

Driftmoon-3 times

Orcs and Elves-2 times

Doom the Rlike-3 Times (Will beat 4th soon)

Diablo Rlike-Beat 1 time recently (Oh you know again)

Dungeon Fray Rlike-Beat 3 times

Those are the rpg-esque games. I have played more action-rpgs but i am not listing them here. I really have to be able to get a large amount of replays out of it. Especially if you paid $40-60 dollars which luckily isnt the spiderweb motto :)