Travel

BainIhrno

Okay, a new survey - does anyone here like to travel? Where are some of your favorite places to go? Where would you like to go?

I've been many places, but the most exciting trip I've taken was to Honolulu, HI. Great weather, interesting place. I also very much liked Southern California and Chicago, IL.

I'm very much into theme/water parks and my favorite water park so far is Wet n Wild in Phoenix, AZ. I'm going to DisneyWorld in a few weeks (coinciding with my graduation from college). May also hit DC this year.

Some places I'd still like to visit include Helsinki Finland, Costa Rica and Fort Myers FL

Any exciting places you've been or want to see?

I enjoyed visiting Italy, Greece and Egypt. The first time that I went to those countries I was into ancient history. The second time I still enjoyed them. Turkey was interesting as well. Hawaii and Alaska are both neat to see because of the extremes that they represent. I would also add Death Valley for the same reason. DC is interesting to visit because of all of the museums and monuments.

In terms of theme parks, the Disney Parks are of course very well done. I used to like Universal Studios (Hollywood) because of the way that it covered Hollywood history, but it has become more like a normal theme park similar to Six Flags, Bush Gardens, King's Whatever, etc.

I've been to every US state east of the Mississippi except Michigan, Tennessee, and Florida. I've also been to Minnesota. In Canada, I've been to Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island. I've been to the Montreal airport as well, but I don't count that as having been to Quebec. Further afield, I've been to the United Kingdom (Scotland, England, and Wales but not Northern Ireland) and France.

The only theme parks I've ever been to are here in Pennsylvania, Dorney Park and Hershey Park. They are both worth a visit but aren't anything spectacular.

[spoileralt=teh mapxorz]AL-AR-CO-FL-GA-HI-IA-IL-IN-KS-KY-LA-MN-MO-MS-NE-OH-OK-SC-SD-TN-TX-VA-WI_zpsjxhrgxoi.png[/spoileralt]

I've passed through most of the central / midwestern / southern United States. And Hawaii. I haven't been to the west or the northeast, though. I've also technically visited a fair bit of western Europe. However, I was about one to three years old at the time and thus don't recall much of the experience. Alas. Still, I can say I've been as far east as Berlin and far west as Kauai.

(If we're really strict, I've set foot in a few other other states, but only inside of airports, so I don't think they really count.)

As far as travel recommendations go...I think you find interesting, beautiful, unique, and/or historical things just about everywhere. To some extent, what will seem "exotic" or exciting could depend one's background and what one is familiar with. But if all places are unique, some are more unique than others. :) If I were to make just one suggestion, I'd encourage everyone who can to visit Hawaii at some point. It's stunningly beautiful.

[spoileralt=Symap]2c6277cc841df3a5def460a18d8288ac.png[/spoileralt]

As far as travel goes, I'd love to see the world. One of the problems with living in the US is everything is pretty homogenized. Beyond slight differences in accents everyone in the country is essentially the same, really.

There's nothing I'd like more than to travel the entirety of the Pan-American Highway by car, and the equivalent for the other continents. Unfortunately, it requires time, money, and not getting beheaded on the internet. So it's just a pipe dream and always will be. There's a world out there that I'll probably never see, beyond my little corner, and that sucks.

i'm not gonna make a map or anything but uh counting just places where i've at least stayed overnight i've been to the Australian states of Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland and South Australia and the US states of New York, Maryland, Washington, Oregon and New Mexico

it's probably going to be a while before i save up the money for another international trip but i want to go back to the US when i can and i have a friend in the UK whom it'd be nice to see also

Unfortunately, I've never been outside the country but I think this is pretty good for a poor 21 year old:

8996e969_untitled.PNG

Thanks for the map, Triumph. You are a lovely person, as always.

Places I would be interested in visiting:

Canada

Finland

Germany

Iceland

Ireland

Norway

Sweden

UK

I'm sure I could be talked into a few more countries, but there aren't really any more states I'm keen to see.

I have been in 49 US states (I am missing Maine), 1 US territory and DC, 1 Canadian Province, 7 or 8 Mexican States, one Caribbean country and a Caribbean UK territory. In Europe I have been in eight countries (this does not count changing planes in two others), Africa three countries and Asia eight countries.

The Pan-American Highway is relatively doable and would be quite interesting. West to East across Europe/Asia would be fairly workable as a combo car/train trip. Cape to Cairo and then entering into Turkey to access Europe would be really rough.

I would like to visit Australia and a couple of parts of South America, but neither is likely to happen for a while. I am hoping to make it back to Hawaii in the next couple of years though.

When we did this comparison at CalRef I didn't stack up great domestically and was slightly ahead of the curve in terms of international travel, particularly if you discount the Europeans who have a great advantage.

I like the additional question of where I'd like to visit, but I'm afraid my list is far too long. For the most part, I like rural or downright primeval destinations, but there are a few exceptions.

I intend to check New York City off my list in a couple of weeks.

I enjoyed my trip to Alaska, but spent no time in Anchorage and very little in Fairbanks. If I want to see a city, well, I have already spent a little time in New York City and Boston and a lot in SF, LA and DC and a reasonable amount of time in Denver and Dallas so I think I have cities covered.

I've been to 46 out of 50 US states (I am missing Delaware, Louisiana, Alaska, and Hawa'ii). Been all over Ontario and Quebec.

But that's about it. I'm not sure whether to count British Columbia - I was technically there a couple hours, but it was just in the customs building, and then getting kicked back out. Nothing nefarious... when I was young my dad took my cousin and I on a little road trip; we were going to hang out in Vancouver and then go to a Canadian beach, but my cousin didn't have an ID on him so they made us turn around.

I plan on visiting Japan, Australia, Argentina, Peru, Austria, Croatia, and Hungary -- one of these days.

But that's about it. I'm not sure whether to count British Columbia - I was technically there a couple hours, but it was just in the customs building, and then getting kicked back out. Nothing nefarious... when I was young my dad took my cousin and I on a little road trip; we were going to hang out in Vancouver and then go to a Canadian beach, but my cousin didn't have an ID on him so they made us turn around.

lol, cool, i live in BC. It's good to know we don't let strays in. :)