Superiority Complex

Brainless Void

Well, I have an issue of superiority complex in video games esp. rpgs. What I do is always find a way to have an unfair advantage over the games thru cheats and whatever means possible bec. I always like to be a demigod in whatever world I am in.

You all know how easy it is to cheat in spidweb games. Just a little fiddle in the scripts, and voila! GODLIKE character.

Um, any advice as to how can I stop this madness? (And stop baby fyoras from getting eaten by my level 60 Ur-Drakon named Ryu.)

I think Jeff did account for people who think this way with the 'Turn Off Character Editor (permanently)' option for BoA.

If you're on windows, I could send you a modified Geneforge executable with cheats disabled (As for me, I modified it to cheat more, not less; I changed them all into single-letter cheat codes so I didn't have to type the whole thing).

But there's no way you can stop yourself from modifying the scripts, you've to live with that.

Jeff has been moving some information into the hard coded parts and away from the scripts in newer games. But there are always ways around that. Part of it is that Jeff recognizes some players want to play in god mode and left that option in the game for them to find. Using the game editor to raise stats is the easiest way of doing it.

I'm always of the opinion that you should play however you enjoy it. Some people like struggling mightily on Torment. Some want additional self-set challenges to make the game a titanic undertaking. Some people just want to crank the difficulty all the way down and breeze through the story. And some people want to cheat so much that they can stomp through everything regardless of difficulty and have a great time doing it.

There's no right way to play. The experience is certainly different among all those options, but none is necessarily better. Play how you want.

—Alorael, who could suggest getting the App Store or iOS versions of games, if you have a Mac or iPad. They doesn't let you edit scripts. For most people that's a downside, but for you it might be what you want.

Like any other behavior change it will require a conscious effort to stop. I would suggest first defining for yourself what is cheating and what is not, because this differs for each of us here. You can go with the approach of all at once or a little bit at a time here. For example, you could decide no script editing, but that you can still use the editor to re-allocate earned points. You could go through a game or two still using the built in cheat codes (I am poor, etc) but not editing scripts, then move on to the game without cheat codes at all, if your objective is playing without "cheating" at all. It does no good to make the game so difficult that you do not enjoy it.

What I like to do is just admit I want to crush everything, and do my first playthrough with cheated characters, smash my way through the game and just enjoy the story.

And then I'll have a much easier time (and actually enjoy) playing a second time without all the "extra advantages" - etc. The trouble with a story-driven game is that you want to keep experiencing it, not taking 10 minutes at a time to have tactical battles with whatever happens around the corner. But once I've experienced the story once I can have a lot more fun strategy-ing my way through again, even if I choose a different set of character/story choices.

It's because you didn't earn it. Many/most of people's greatest accomplishments in life are those they really struggled with and put in the effort to obtain as opposed to having everything handed to them.I like running through games on God mode as well, but at the end of the day I get much more of a kick out of completing the game on the hardest difficulty using the bare essentials. I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something, even if I'm the only one who will know about it.

As for help, I would just say *try* completing any game on the hardest difficulty and see how you like it. Other than that there's not much anybody else can do for you; you have to come to this realization on your own and motivate yourself.