[G2] Canisters and endings

Minion

After replaying Geneforge 1 for the first time in over ten years, I am about to have my second ever go at Geneforge 2. My memories are a little hazy, but I distinctly remember the ending being affected by using canisters, and I thought it would be nice to see the one where people don't look askance at you because your eyes glow in the dark. However, I am unable to find the exact number of canisters you can consume before the ending changes. Is one enough to brand you as an outcast or are you allowed to at least use a few before realising that you should stop?

I believe in G2 the point where the ending changes is 10 canisters, and being modified to gain the ability to use higher-tier creations counts as three canisters (edit: whoops, apparently not). You'll know if you've exceeded the limit because you'll get a message the next time you enter a friendly town about people looking at you differently.

Lilith is correct that you can use up to 9 canisters without changing the ending; using the tenth changes your ending.

However, getting "modified" so you can access the high-level spells has no effect on your "canister count" whatsoever.

Whoops, sorry about that. I know that was a rumour that was floating around for a while; I never personally kept count to confirm or refute it.