Avernum Games

Cpt. Charles

I really like the Avernum/Exile world that Jeff Vogel created for the series, especially the surface and the Empire. The underground world is thoroughly explored in all the games, but only one of them goes onto the surface. I know the whole point is exploring Avernum, the underworld, but there seems to be a lot of history for the surface world as well. I've read a few Exile history documents that Jeff wrote, specifically one about the Anama war, and one about the conquering of Valorim. Not actually sure where I got them from, I assume it was written by Spiderweb.

My question is, will the world Avernum is set in be explored more, especially the history and future of the surface world? If not, is anyone else interested in it? It's something I've personally tried to explore with a big BoA scenario I've been working on for far too long.

Spiderweb has no plans for any continuation of the Avernum series and its docket is full for the neck several years, so if any sequels do come they're a long way off.

—Alorael, who thinks the community here is always interested in exploration of Jeff's worlds. In fact, the community was at least at one time so interested in filling in the gaps that it created histories, dynasties, and even continents. The most lasting legacy of all that is the name now generally agreed-upon for the world of Avernum, Ermarian, which is entirely a fan fabrication.

Well this is just amazing. My scenario had to do with the history a generation or two after A3, and I tried to bring that together with events in the BoA scenarios, especially A Small Rebellion. Knowing that the community has alot of interest in it gives some more reason to actually go and finish it. Very very big though.

I guess I'll just wish for Spiderweb to do a pre-history game series for the far future.

• 4 weeks later...

In addition to the First Expedition, you could do a prequel based on the Slith arrival (Slith only party) or as assistants exiled with Erika, Linda, Micah, etc exploring the caves with no friendly cities, imprisoning Grah-Hoth, and finding exits to the surface only to have the empire block them.

IIRC, the (very unlikely) prequel Jeff has talked about ideas for involved "the early days of Avernum," i.e., the early Slith wars, and in particular, the imprisonment of Grah-Hoth. So Micah, Erika, Patrick, Rone, Aimee, Solberg.

(The evidence for Linda being among that early group of exiles is thin and contradictory at best.)

But having Linda around to compete with Erika for the title of biggest psycho makes things so much fun. The rest of the crew are actually pretty stable.

X is researching how to drop anvils.

Solberg is hiding with his cat, Cheeseball.

Patrick is the closest to stable and his spending his time mourning his ill wife.

Rone is writing his memoirs.

Aimee is looking for a new home on another plane of existence.

The rest are nervously awaiting the next disaster.

X has an addiction to weird, useless magic.

Solberg flees at the first sign of trouble for a very, very long time.

Rone's mind is not so sharp.

At least Erika is reliably working on things, many of which seem to be useful, and forwarding her goals without causing a whole lot of collateral damage.

—Alorael, who supposes you have to consider the entire Empire-Avernum war not collateral damage. That's rather debatable.

Aimee seemed pretty cool, though! She had a little bit of the Solberg/Khyryk I'm-not-engaged-with-the-world thing going on, but with her it was transcending rather than hiding. Plus, even when she was an astral traveler she continued to look out for Avernum She'd have been interesting to see in earlier, more corporeal days. Ditto for Solberg, who got worse over time. Although I suppose at this point there's no getting out of his ill-fitting retcon as a demonology expert.

X is just reinventing the wheel. What exactly do you think Divine Thud does?

—Alorael, who believes there was a lengthy and frequently esoteric argument in theological circles about whether the thud is the fall of the anvil or whether the world itself is the anvil and the thud is the blow of the god['s/s'] hammer.