Back of Kelner's office? (A2CS)

Huh. I thought I had looked...guess I'll do it some more.

On an unrelated note: in Pyrog's Cave, there place in the Empire lab where there's some kind of book too complicated for me to read, plus a gate I can't figure out how to open, and a sign outside that says I need a Gray Pass. Well, I have a Gray Pass...what else am I missing?

For the book: "The book is some sort of laboratory notebook. You can't understand any of the notation or diagrams. They're just too complicated."

The gate gives the message: "The passage into the depths of the machinery is blocked by this gate. There is no visible control mechanism. You can't see any way to get it to open."

Oh, the automap has a landmark identify this as "Magical Factory," FWIW.

OK, here we go:

"The tome is a laboratory notebook, describing the development of the machinery in this room. Apparently, its purpose is to create phoenix eggs.";

"A phoenix egg is a container which contains quickfire. It's a potentially devastating weapon, but the eggs they've created have been unstable. Even the slightest vibration would shatter them, killing everyone nearby.";

"They've only succeeded in making one properly. You're glad that they are having trouble making more of them. Such things would be devastating weapons against Avernum.";

"There is a note inside the front cover. It says, 'For access, Unending Flame.'";

"The book is some sort of laboratory notebook. You can't understand any of the notation or diagrams. They're just too complicated.";

"The passage into the depths of the machinery is blocked by this gate. There is no visible control mechanism. You can't see any way to get it open.";

"Then you remember what you read in the journal. You say _Unending Flame._ The gate slowly opens.";

I'm not sure what it could be checking if not lore. Could it possibly be an Intelligence check? Or is it accidentally checking lore on just one character? What's each PC's Int, and how is your AL spread around?

Interesting. So I guess it's just an alternative way to get a Phoenix Egg, instead of dealing with Rentar? I assume the only place you need such an egg is Angierach?

My magic users all have Intelligence in the 40s, my lead character is a dual-wield melee fighter with Int 11. AL is spread about in groups of 1, 6, 5, 4 (going by current party order).

I tried changing up the party order (moving the priest with 48 Int and 6 AL into the lead slot) and it made no difference.

I JUST did that section... so yeah, I can confirm with fresh memories that the book in the same room is supposed to give you the password for the first gate (the Grey Pass is required for the second one), but I dunno why Triumph couldn't read it. I think I had 15 AL or something, but that's obviously just overkill, so that's not likely to be the reason. I also had less Int and fewer levels of Vahnatai Lore. (There is, indeed, a tablet in the lab you need Vahnatai Lore to decode, but that's just a spell-level booster.)

Maybe it requires one of those odd 'items' you sometimes get, like Vahnatai Magical Knowledge or whatever... not that that would make much sense, seeing as it's an imperial machine.

Oh, and to touch briefly on the original subject, I knew about the book behind the gate in Kelner's office, but there's also a room with three tomes... I gained access to two of them by doing odd jobs around the tower, but the third one (the one furtherest to the right) continues to elude me. What can I have missed?

Oh, I really hope you're wrong about that... or that there are multiple drake-teeth to obtain. I just gave the first one I found to the Vahnatai dude, figuring it'd be good for international relations. >_>;

There are a total of three teeth and three quests for a tooth, so you're in luck.

Oh, good... when I got 3 requests for something I could only get 1 of back in EftP, I figured it was another one of those 'pick one' quests... just like the two spellbooks from EftP. Where are the other two teeth, then? The one I found was exactly where I'd expect one to be - in the northern islands - but there's nothing left of that to explore...

Incidentally, while we're on the subject, how do you get permission to read the book behind the gate in Kelner's office? I still haven't found anyone else to do quests for in the Tower of Magi...

Incidentally, while we're on the subject, how do you get permission to read the book behind the gate in Kelner's office? I still haven't found anyone else to do quests for in the Tower of Magi...

It's one of the upper level rewards for one of the multi-step end of game quests

(if I could figure out how to do the 'spoiler' section I'd let you know exactly - but I can't find it.... sigh. Let me/us know if you really want to know)

It's one of the upper level rewards for one of the multi-step end of game quests

(if I could figure out how to do the 'spoiler' section I'd let you know exactly - but I can't find it.... sigh. Let me/us know if you really want to know)

Hah, 's cool, I already got it. :p I just hadn't figured it for one of those, since I knew that the two reward-books for that quest are in the two libraries, not some random fenced-off room in the back of the secretary's office. Hadn't counted on a third 'fakeout' book, y'know?

And don't worry 'bout spoilers on my account. I played the original Exile-series extensively back in the day, so the basic plot is quite, quite familiar to me. (Heck, if Vogel hadn't moved all the secret doors around since, I'd know where they all were, too. :p)

Actually, a lot of them seem to be in pretty much the same places. I think we can thank the fact that the new engine has walls take up a full space, and therefore seems to draw on Exile maps more than Avernum maps.

Of course, the switches for the secret doors can sometimes be some distance from where the doors are...