A2:CS - Regular Items Needed for Quests (Updated List)

Need specific amount:

Pipe (1)

Hammer (1)

Beaker (1)

Mortar and Pestle (1)

Abacus (1)

Hourglass (1)

Gold Ring (1)

Vahnatai Cloaks (2)

Fine Razordisks (2)

Fine Steel Waveblade (1)

Fire Lizard Egg (1)

Black Basalt (3) (nope, never used for crafting)

Aranea Fangs (8)

Graymold Salve (3)

Is used for alchemy, consider both options before turning in:

Graymold (3)

Is used for crafting, consider both options before turning in:

Fine Leather (7)

Fine Steel (7)

Focusing Crystal (7)

Need unlimited amount (save them all) but only until you go down the Vahnatai rapids:

Iron Bars

Need unlimited amount:

Bags of Meal*

Wine*

Magical Notes

Empire Records

Bags of Sugar

*Some of these quests do have a "limit" on what you can turn in -- 50 items -- but the final shipment you turn in can be as large as you want, so as long as you hold off on the last shipment, there is effectively no limit

Used for alchemy:

Healing Herbs

Spiritual Herbs

Energetic Herbs

Graymold - see above

Mandrake Root

Used for crafting:

Fine Leather - see above

Fine Steel - see above

Focusing Crystal - see above

Regarding Aranea fangs, as soon as I turned in the 8 for the job board quest, another job board quest was available asking for 5. I think the total should be 13, then?

So far 132 quests and 43 caches found/completed. (if that helps any completionists)

(after finishing Bags of Meal , Wine and Crafting turn ins in the post game)

I've got 45. I made a list of them while playing, so I can post all the locations if needed.

Is it at all helpful to have them with you when you enter, or not really?

Nah, there are multiple copies of each just lying around on the floor in easily accessible areas. The only way it could be a nuisance is if you actually manage to throw all the abacuses and hourglasses in your junk bag, leave the dungeon and sell them before realising you need them.

Just a note that the "quests completed" statistic is unlikely to be useful to anyone. Why? It doesn't track your current save, it tracks the number of events that have ever occured since you first ran the app. That means that if you ever completed a quest multiple times to see what different rewards were, then reloaded, each completion is tallied. Likewise for any other reason you might reload after completing a quest. And likewise for the location numbers, the cache numbers, etc.

The Dharmon crafting materials turn in quest caps early. (caps at 7 or 8 i think)

I can confirm Bags of Meal and Wine are completable also.

I just tested and the Dharmon quest is complete at 7 sets, unless I turned in any earlier in the game that I forgot about. The reward is a +1 reputation boost and a set of Runed Greaves (armour+4%, 2% chance to evade attacks, 10% energy resistance), which isn't exactly mindblowing. Also, the last set you turn in to complete the quest isn't actually taken from you, although you still need to have it in your inventory.

Just a note that the "quests completed" statistic is unlikely to be useful to anyone. Why? It doesn't track your current save, it tracks the number of events that have ever occured since you first ran the app. That means that if you ever completed a quest multiple times to see what different rewards were, then reloaded, each completion is tallied. Likewise for any other reason you might reload after completing a quest. And likewise for the location numbers, the cache numbers, etc.

It is possible to reset the statistic counter/medals earned. Doing the following will reset the counter/statistics for the entire game so it should really only be done if you are starting over from the beginning/starting a new game. In the saved games folder (for windows it is in your documents library/spiderweb software/avernum 2 saved games/) there is a file in there (avernum2settings) that is displayed as a CD movie but is actually a data file. If you remove this file from this folder (delete it or move it into another folder) it will reset everything. BE AWARE THAT DOING THIS WILL ALSO DELETE YOUR REGISTRATION INFO, so make sure that you have your registration key available to unlock it again. The same thing can be done for resetting A1EFtP's statistics (different save folder obviously) & probably every other SW game that has the statistic counter (I'm not sure when Jeff started including it in his games).

I'm not sure where the file is located for Mac users but if I'm recalling a long ago discussion correctly the process is similar (in that the file is in your saved games folder). The same caveat applies though, deleting/moving this file will remove any registration info so make sure that you have the registration key available.

Okay, yeah, I found it now -- I didn't even think to look at outdoor scripts. That event also seems to be a little bugged: it looks like you're meant to get different dialogue that more clearly specifies you need a hammer if there's a slith in your party, but I had a slith and didn't get that. If you already have a hammer you can give them one and get the reward either way, though.

edit: looks like the logic may be reversed -- Slarty reports that with an all-human party you get the dialogue meant for sliths.

Who wants the Bags of Meal and the Bags of Sugar? I've been carrying these things around for ages - it's getting tiresome. Particularly the sugar, which annoyingly doesn't stack.

I'm pretty sure I've been to all of the cities in the game, but I haven't found anyone interested in those.

Oh, and I'm also still carrying a pipe, but I suppose that might be some obscure 'outdoors' encounter, like with the hammer.

Who wants the Bags of Meal and the Bags of Sugar? I've been carrying these things around for ages - it's getting tiresome. Particularly the sugar, which annoyingly doesn't stack.

Gary the innkeeper in Silvar wants the Bags of Sugar, and a shopkeeper in Harston wants the Bags of Meal. Harston's in Empire lands, so it might be a little tricky to get to unless you're high-level or have an empire pass.

Oh, and I'm also still carrying a pipe, but I suppose that might be some obscure 'outdoors' encounter, like with the hammer.

It's used somewhere in Vahnatai lands. More specifically:

You need it for the demonic fort where Rentar-Ihrno sends you to get the Mica Tome.

Thanks, Lilith. I haven't been to Harston yet - kinda' out-of-the-way, after all - but I have no idea how I missed the innkeeper in Silvar. I've definitely been THERE, any number of times. Heck, isn't that the same place where you could unload a bag of sugar in EftP? >_> Hm. Guess I just didn't ask the right questions of the chap.

What are the fire lizard eggs and drake eggs used for? The caption on them says that they are highly prized by certain artisans and collectors, but I didn't encounter anyone that requested them.

Also, what's the black basalt for? The caption on that one says it's a crafting material, but I don't remember encountering anyone that could do anything with that either...

Someone in the Tower of Magi wants a fire lizard egg. I don't think anyone needs drake eggs (I could be wrong). Black basalt is used for one quest (you need three, I believe), but after that they are not used for crafting (I was confused by that caption as well). You can sell the extras after the quest (someone in Fort Draco wants them for a job board quest, if I remember correctly).

What are the fire lizard eggs and drake eggs used for? The caption on them says that they are highly prized by certain artisans and collectors, but I didn't encounter anyone that requested them.

Also, what's the black basalt for? The caption on that one says it's a crafting material, but I don't remember encountering anyone that could do anything with that either...

Suzanne in the Tower of Magi wants a fire lizard egg. Drake eggs, surprisingly, don't seem to be used for anything.

Black basalt is used for a single collection quest for Boutell in Fort Draco: after you've done that, you can sell the rest.

Are black fangs a special item, not one you can pick up in your inventory? Several different people have asked me for one.

Also, there are any quests where you have to choose who gets a limited item? For example, Avernum 1 let you choose who to give magical notes you find. I haven't given any magical notes to the person in Fort Remote yet, in case there's a better option still out there.

Definitely give your magical notes to the person at Fort Remote. She's the only one who wants them, and not only does she pay well, you'll get an awesome piece of armor for giving her a good bundle.

Anyway, I for one am glad that the 'pick one of three' quests from EftP aren't around anymore. They annoyed me enormously, particularly when one of the requesters was someone I'd already killed, making it impossible to ever 'clear' it from my list. Three quests for black fangs, three fangs to find (though some are easier to get to than others) - that's the way it SHOULD be. (Also, I feel kinda' stupid for giving both of the magic-books in EftP to the people at the Freehold of Kyass, considering what happened to it in Crystal Souls. Should've just handed them over to the Avernites instead, I guess...)

Anyway, I for one am glad that the 'pick one of three' quests from EftP aren't around anymore. They annoyed me enormously, particularly when one of the requesters was someone I'd already killed, making it impossible to ever 'clear' it from my list. Three quests for black fangs, three fangs to find (though some are easier to get to than others) - that's the way it SHOULD be.

Hm, I liked that in EftP - not the bug about it failing to clear a quest from the list, but having to decide who to give the item to. I wouldn't want all quests to be like that, but I didn't mind the few that were like that in EftP.

• 5 months later...

Yo, could you attach a little "where to use the item" note to each item? Here's what I got so far:

Need specific amount:

Pipe (1) - Humid Keep in Vanahntai lands.

Hammer (1) - Slith band hanging out along the river above the Waterfall Rapids

Beaker (1) Mortar and Pestle (1) Abacus (1) Hourglass (1) - Hidden alchemist in Dharmon (requires Magi clearance and fiddling with secrets doors / boats to get to him.

Gold Ring (1) - Anahara, at the Mertis Bazar.

Vahnatai Cloaks (2) and Fine Razordisks (2) - 1 each for the watch commander at Almaria (?) and for Patrick in his tower.

Fine Steel Waveblade (1) - Patrick.

Fire Lizard Egg (1) - ?

Black Basalt (3) (nope, never used for crafting) - Boutelli in Fort Draco

Aranea Fangs (8) - Rosemary, in Almaria. Hand over 3, then check the job board to get a quest for 5 more.

Graymold Salve (3) - Nephil Clan southeast of Meetis, Drake northwest of Fort Emerald (Scree Pits), Soldier in Infirmary in Fort Emerald

Is used for alchemy, consider both options before turning in:

Graymold (3)

Is used for crafting, consider both options before turning in:

Fine Leather (7) Fine Steel (7) Focusing Crystal (7) - Stoppard (Fomello) and Rippel (Dharmon) both require these for their crafting (you can actually craft way more than seven, but you only get 7 worth of unique items)

Need unlimited amount (save them all) but only until you go down the Vahnatai rapids:

Iron Bars - Fort Draco forge.

Need unlimited amount:

Bags of Meal* Suzanne in Harston

Wine* - Fort Dranlon quartermaster.

Magical Notes - Fort Remote quartermaster (fishing outside as you enter)

Empire Records - Gilda at the Castle

Bags of Sugar - Gary in Silvar

*Some of these quests do have a "limit" on what you can turn in -- 50 items -- but the final shipment you turn in can be as large as you want, so as long as you hold off on the last shipment, there is effectively no limit

Used for alchemy:

Healing Herbs

Spiritual Herbs

Energetic Herbs

Graymold - see above

Mandrake Root

Used for crafting:

Fine Leather - see above

Fine Steel - see above

Focusing Crystal - see above