Games either crash or show only black screen

403pm

Hi. I just purchased the SpiderWeb Games pack from Steam, and I am unable to run any of the games. I'm running a 2 year old Dell laptop with Intel HD4000 graphics. I understand that in a lot of cases I am limited by what my graphics hardware can do, but I usually can at least get a game to run. On the older games, the game starts, music plays, but I get a black screen. Nothing ever shows. On the newer games, I get a hard crash (avernum.exe has stopped working).

I am running Windows 7, 64-bit and I've installed all of the latest drivers for all of my hardware. Any thoughts?

Older games were made for 32-bit operating systems so if you can change compatibility mode that might fix it. Also running an emulator program.

Some of this discussion covers the problem for even the older Avernum games.

You should get the newer games.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door while you still have it. :)

1. update graphic drivers (intel's site not dell's) and try again.

2. if steam-version has avernumdx.exe then download and install directx9.0c and try running that exe-file.

no idea if avernumdx.exe is available to other than SW-versions.

Thanks for the reply. Dell actually just updated their Windows 7 driver to the latest Intel reference for the HD4000, so I've got that going for me. Normally I run the Intel reference drivers, but that introduces it's own set of issues. It is what it is.

As to the second part, I know the DirectX version works, as I followed the troubleshooting instructions for Avadon, and downloaded the demo and the DirectX version of the game. It loaded just fine. Unfortunately, Steam does not provide the DirectX version as far as I can tell, so no luck there.

Older games were made for 32-bit operating systems so if you can change compatibility mode that might fix it. Also running an emulator program.

Some of this discussion covers the problem for even the older Avernum games.

I will give this a try. Thank you!