D&D Virtual Tabletop RPG

adc.

Or whatever it's called.

I haven't played any D&D stuff aside from the MMO. And because reasons, now I want to try the pen-and-paper stuff people mostly talk about. And I doubt I have friends that know D&D tabletop stuff at school, so I prefer to play with AIs instead.

Question is, what virtual tabletop thinggy stuff would you recommend for a beginner? I prefer a game with:

-A story (optional, but much better with one)

-Singleplayer mode (with AIs)

-Easy to learn instructions

-Good for beginners

I admit that I only have a slight idea what I'm talking about. If anyone could explain what I'm trying to say, that's great.

Are you asking for a computer RPG that uses one of the D&D rule sets when it comes to mechanics?

Or are you asking for a pencil-and-paper scenario designed to be played by a single person?

Those are both things. But if you're asking for AIs that are going to actually role play characters with you the way real humans would, that doesn't exist. A big part of D&D (and other pencil-and-paper RPGs) is the human interaction and role-playing.

I think computer RPGers have a hard time grokking the tabletop thing. It's live. You don't get a list of decisions; you decide what you want to do in real time with limitless possibilities and the DM and the other players have to respond to that. It's collaborative storytelling with mechanics to give the bad guys a fighting chance.

As Slarty says, a computer can't, and in my opinion shouldn't, fill that role. What your describing is basically a computer RPG without a graphic interface. You could try Thy Dungeonman, but I doubt that's what you're looking for.

Planescape: Torment is probably the most interesting computer roleplaying game for actually roleplaying a character. Not that it's the most reactive world based on your choices or gives you the most detailed consequences (choices and consequences are CRPG buzzwords), but you get a ton of freedom in who you decide your character is and how you enact it, and it's in a setting where that matters.

It's still nothing like tabletop.

Torment's also really good at roleplaying and pretty bad at game. It's notorious for poorly designed combat that just isn't much fun. Baldur's Gate is better in that respect. Still, all of those, and plenty of other computer RPGs, are going to be just CRPGs. Using the mechanics of a system designed for tabletop doesn't really do much to encapsulate the feeling of a game run with all the interactivity and openness of a human GM.

There's really nothing that works like tabletop that isn't playing with at least one other person. What you could try to do is find an online gaming group. They exist. They tend to be more unstable than in-person groups, a fair number try to get together but never start, and gaming online just isn't ever quite as good as around a table, in my opinion, but it works. And if you're somewhere without other gamers it might be your best point of entry into the hobby. Like, say, the regular AIMhack games that happen here. See if you can get into one when it starts.

—Alorael, who is somewhat surprised that there still aren't, as far as he knows, any games designed specifically for online play. It's a solid niche.

Some stores used to have AD&D groups loosely affiliated with them, that would provide an opportunity to play the game the way that it is meant to be played (with people). It has been years since I have looked, but a few times in the last couple of years or so I have seen places where Warhammer groups gather so there may still be options for AD&D. Maybe some on-line searching might turn one up. I just did a quick google search and found a couple of groups within an hour or so of where I live that were looking for members.

What you could try to do is find an online gaming group. They exist. They tend to be more unstable than in-person groups, a fair number try to get together but never start, and gaming online just isn't ever quite as good as around a table, in my opinion, but it works. And if you're somewhere without other gamers it might be your best point of entry into the hobby. Like, say, the regular AIMhack games that happen here. See if you can get into one when it starts.

Like, say, the stand alone Pathfinder mini-campaigns that launch Wednesday. Might be worth spectating.

—Alorael, who is somewhat surprised that there still aren't, as far as he knows, any games designed specifically for online play. It's a solid niche.

I've been working on mechanics for a system called ORPHEUS with exactly that in mind. It presents a good opportunity for the stats and calculations to take place behind the scenes, making everything more efficient and bringing roleplaying to the forefront. However, I lack the coding skills to make it happen or the funds to hire anyone.

Wizards of the Coast before they got bought by Hasbro had an online D&D game, but after generating a character and running it through a solo adventure you had to join a multiplayer party to continue. This brought back the whole getting a group that could regularly play at the same time problem.

I knew it would attract a lot of answers, because Spiderweb community.

I just scanned them for now, because I have a hectic schedule today.

Are you asking for a computer RPG that uses one of the D&D rule sets when it comes to mechanics?

Plus tabletop pen and paper... and AIs.... No? Well too bad.

Well thanks for the suggestions guys, I might try them out one at a time if I had time.

Have a good day.