What photo editor should I get?

Vexivero

I have NO experience with using photo editing software whatsoever. In fact I took my old version of MS Paint and installed it on my newer computers because It was something I was familiar with and I didn't need to use any advanced functions.

I'm not looking to do anything crazy with the graphics I'm editing, I just need to do lesser stuff that paint is incapable of, like changing the hue of a picture (like if it is a bluish picture, change it to a reddish color), and removing the background of a picture so it's completely white.

I'm guessing there's at least one or two people who are proficient using stuff like this, so any recommendations on photo editors for that sort of stuff? Also, I don't mind paying for software either, but if there's something free without a trial I'll take that too. I just want something quality that'll make it easy for me to adjust my graphics.

I think Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/) might be exactly what you're looking for. It's a lot like MS Paint but with more stuff, including changing hues and blurs. I'm not sure about the removing background part though, you might need GIMP for that.

Edit: Actually Paint.NET can remove backgrounds too, with a tool similar to GIMP's: http://www.isimonbrown.co.uk/cutting-out-images/

Tried GIMP, then Photoshop. They have quite similar controls, but I'm far more familiar with Photoshop because we used to study that in our computer classes. With GIMP, not much, since I only used it once when I tried making a simple comic animation, and it was decent enough I suppose, for creating animations, but for effects, I used Photoshop. I assume you can use GIMP for effects too, but I haven't tried it.

Since you're a beginner, GIMP > Photoshop, it's free anyway. No, I mean GIMP is free, not Photoshop.

Then there's also Paint.net, but I haven't taken a look at it yet, I'm no longer doing this kind of thing. ;-;

But I do remember seeing that Paint.net is somewhat like Paint with some Photoshop tools in it, has user-friendly UI and good for beginners. So... Photoshop < GIMP < Paint.net? Your choice.

But I do remember seeing that Paint.net is somewhat like Paint with some Photoshop tools in it, has user-friendly UI and good for beginners. So... Photoshop < GIMP < Paint.net? Your choice.

Yeah, it's like an advanced paint, so at least I'm not totally in the dark about what to do. I've been messing around with it and there's a lot of foreign stuff, but I'm starting to get a grasp on how to do the stuff I want to do. I think I'll stick with GIMP for now

• 3 months later...