Factory Reset

adc.

Title says it all ^^

So I've been thinking of starting from scratch again, I've modified the registry, possibly doing a bunch of mess I can't remember. Plus, all of the junk that has probably accumulated from its years of use.

Defragging is quite easy, so is using /sfc scannow command, but even though I did my best to clean my laptop, I still don't feel it is purely rid of dirt, and a once small part of my mind, which now grew to a larger size kept telling me that I should use the factory reset.

So I've been rethinking this since the past few months: I want to reset my laptop to the point where I first brought it to life, but I don't want to lose some specific folders, (e.g. steamapps and such). So, is it possible to reset the laptop to default without changing specific files or folders? Or buying an SSD as a last resort.

Why? Because I've wanted to upgrade to Windows 8.1 without carrying the crap files to the upgrade.

Anyway, thanks to all who would help.

You can pick up a refurbed 250 GB disk for $30 online. I'd say grab one of those, and a cradle/adapter/whatever it takes to attach it to your laptop. Toss your steamapps, etc on that disk and wipe away.

The cool part is afterwards you've got an extra chunk of storage for non-critical things.

I'm sure this is the case, but make sure you pick up OEM disks, not any of that recovery crap that comes with your laptop. Just be sure you have the google-fu to grab proper versions of any drivers that don't come with OEM windows (hard to say, but probably video, network, and usb3).

Damn, I forgot what I specifically wanted.

So I was thinking about a program that stores your "chosen" data into a different hard drive partition (idk what it is, correct me if I'm mistaken) such as Local Disk (D:) or something so it won't be affected by the recovery's purging.

But it seems those kinds of programs don't exist *shrugs*

And methinks I cannot convince dad to buy an SSD unless it's for educational purposes *double shrugs*

Meh, I might just copy my Geneforge save games to an 8 gig usb then play them whilst I redownload the games, if I ran out of options.

So I was thinking about a program that stores your "chosen" data into a different hard drive partition (idk what it is, correct me if I'm mistaken) such as Local Disk (D:) or something so it won't be affected by the recovery's purging.

You can do this with Windows' built-in backup tool and partition manager (diskmgmt.msc), AFAIK. Just make a new partition big enough for your data, then use Windows Backup to copy everything you want saved.

You can do this with Windows' built-in backup tool and partition manager (diskmgmt.msc), AFAIK. Just make a new partition big enough for your data, then use Windows Backup to copy everything you want saved.

That's exactly what I was thinking of, is that possible? If so, please give me instructions, or maybe a link to do it neatly.

I typed up most of it, but I realized a lot has changed between Windows 7 and 8 and there's a lot I'm not really sure about. You can probably find guides for individual parts of what you want to do on Google. Basically, you need to make a new partition, copy/paste your files to it, put in the Windows 8.1 install disk, and install WIndow 8.1 over your Windows partition. Once the new version of WIndows is set up, you can copy your files back over, delete the partition you created, and extend your WIndows partition back over it. Then you'll have a clean install of Windows 8.1 with all the data you wanted to keep.

I kept my incomplete instructions here because I didn't want to just delete all that, but you'd probably be better off Googling.

Alright, here goes. You'll need a decent amount of free space on your drive for this, probably a little bit more than double the size of the files you want to keep.

1. Open the start menu and type "diskmgmt.msc" and press enter

2. Shrink your primary partition following this guide: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg309169.aspx Make sure you leave enough free space on your C partition for Windows to run.

3. Follow this guide to set up the free space as a new partition: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg309170.aspx

4. Your new partition should show up next to your C drive if you open your computer in Windows Explorer (you might need to reboot): http://i.imgur.com/COyM0SZ.png (I don't have another partition so there's none in my screenshot)

5. Now you can close the disk manager. From here I'm not sure what you have to do because I don't have Windows 8, and the regular backup feature seems to have been replaced by something else. It might be simpler to manually copy and paste all your files over to the new partition. Double-check and triple-check that you copied over all the files you want to save.

6. Now you'll need a disk or USB drive with Windows 8.1 on it. If you don't have one, it looks like it should be easy to make with a downloaded copy of Windows 8.1.

7. Now insert the disk/USB drive, say your last goodbyes to your current version of Windows, and reboot.

8. Boot from the disk/USB. When your computer first starts, there should be something on the screen saying "Press [button] for BIOS options". Press whatever button it says before that screen goes away. If there's no message like that, Delete or Esc are the common ones.

9. In your BIOS options, there should be a list of boot devices. Highlight your WIndows 8.1 install disk/USB and press enter. That should make your computer boot from it.

10. Now you should be in the WIndows 8 installer. Set up your language, click next, then click "install now". Enter your product key, hit next and accept the license terms.

11. Now it'll ask "Which type of installation do you want?" This is where you tell it not to erase your data partition, so be careful here. Click "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)".

12. Now it will give you a list of partitions. Select the one your old version of Windows is installed to. Triple-check that you picked the right one, because this partition is going to be erased.

Thanks Fenzil, although I do not need precise instructions to tell me what to do. Just show me a few stuff and our brains just simply match the pieces by itself.zi

Analyzing your posts, it seems pretty straightforward, as long as there truly is a "choose the partition you want to replace" by the end of the boot stuff. If not, then, I won't be left with much choice anyway.

Anyway, thanks to all the poster's in this thread.