Scimitar Ambush

I've finished all of A1, except exiting Avernum and have hit a roadblock. I went through the contacts for joining Scimitar and destroyed the Orb, but when I returned to report in, the contact in the Bargha secret room was no longer Cleese, but one labeled "Assassin" who attacked the party. Additionally, all the other NPCs in the Scimitar base behind that room were hostile. I don't recall killing anyone who might have turned them against me. I've only killed the assassin thusfar and have tried coming back a few days later, but they are still hostile. I am not getting any new dialog from Calder indicating that anything changed. He still just tells me how to get to the secret area. Any idea what may have happened? Did I do anything out of order for the quest that may have caused this?

I killed some hostile monsters in the dungeon area of Below Bargha, that had the same effect. I tried to reset the town with the Character Editor, Take out of town option. That did nothing.

Exit to the Surface mission seems not to require the Scimitar at all.

(Assuming that they have already accepted you in. That is required for the necessary dialog to come from Erika.)

You may need to go back to an earlier save game.

Edited by Ishad Nha

I hadn't killed those monsters yet. I only found them after going through the base on an unsaved attempt to kill the hostiles. I'll try the editor route, though, just in case it works for me. Thanks for the input. I only have the second part of the password, so I think I need to get into Scimitar before Erika will give me her part.

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't work, but since it was the endgame and getting to the surface was the only thing left in the game to do, I thought it wouldn't hurt to try anyway. It's okay. I guess I'll just have to live with my party being celebrated heroes in the underworld...

I still wish I knew what turned them, though.

The save file (if it still exists, I tend top clean out extraneous ones from time to time) would be a ways back in the game, as I undertook the Demon and King Assassination quests after hitting that wall; with the Scimitar, so I'd end up doing them all over again, and probably forgetting a lot of things I did along the way. I'd be better off just replaying the game if I wanted.

I might have a hex-editor lying around though, from another game I needed to alter a file for. Thanks for the suggestion.

A quick saving of the game every time we found a patch of Erika's Purple Mold, then using the File Compare command in the Command Prompt yielded some answers:

go to offset 477Eh = 18,302d and change the 00 to a 01.

Make sure your editor is in Overwrite not Insert mode too...

Then save the save game file under a new name to avoid problems.

I tried to create the town hostile problem once again to see what caused it. I did not succeed so I am not sure why it happens.

Edited by Ishad Nha

Your hostile "Assassin" is simply a hostile Cleese.

As for the cause, I don't know. I have created a special save game file and I will try to find the cause of this.

Ventured somewhere not supposed to go (there's warning in remake if goes too far too early). In remake killing those monsters didn't cause hostility.

In this forum you can't post attachments. Jeff probably disabled this feature in order to save on server space. (There is something called My Media which I don't understand.)

You could open a Freewebs account, upload a file to there. Then add the link to the file in a post here. Have save file condensed in a Zip format, make sure there are no spaces in the name of the zip file.

Edited by Ishad Nha

I figured where the offsets were to enable proper dialog with Erika, that worked in practice. Below Bargha remained hostile...

Now I will see if I can alter the attitudes of people in Below Bargha. (I could not get this to work.)

Using the Character Editor:

"Take Out Of Town": this did nothing except take the party out of the Below Bargha dungeon.

"Reset Hostile Towns": this reset Below Bargha! I could then start the Surface Exit quest. (It also re-set every monster-filled dungeon in the game, so they are all full of monsters, even the dungeons you totally cleared!)

Best to leave the Surface Exit quest till the end of the game.

Edited by Ishad Nha

• 6 months later...