Can't install custom scenarios

novaalpha

Hi all.

I've downloades some custom BOE scenarios from here: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/blades/scen_stuff/solid.html, and pre-compiled BOE from here: http://code.google.com/p/blades-of-exile/downloads/list

Then I unzip archives and place .exs and .bmp files into C:\Games\BOE\scenarios\ (that's where BOE lives). But they don't appear when i press Custom Scenario button frown It says that there are no custom scenarios installed.

Help ?

You may strike a situation where the custom scenarios only appear immediately after you have created a first level party. If that is the case, simply rename a custom scenario "Stealth.exs". Also rename any custom graphics sheets. This is what I have to do when using the Open Source BoE on Windows XP.

[somewhat solved]

2 Celtic Minstrel:

The files were directly in BOE\scenarios dir, like C:\Games\BOE\scenarios\goblins.exs , C:\Games\BOE\scenarios\goblins.BMP and yes, I have had restarted BOE a couple times after installing the files. The "Custom Scenario" button was still saying that there are none installed.

2 Ishad Nha:

Thank you very much. I had renamed goblins.exs & bmp to Stealth.* and now I'm eventually able to launch the game using the "Start Scenario" button.

I'm pretty much O.K. with this solution, but heck, Exile III was IMNSHO perfect, and BOE is opensource, so the current devs could've made it better.

Thanks anyway, I'll go exploring now smile

• 1 month later...

well, i have found success by renaming the files to VALLEYDY.*, and renaming the original files...but no luck at all with the Stealth method. i just have to select valley of the dying things from the original scenario start button and its all good smile

[EDIT] nevermind........the text (dialogue) in the scenario doesn't work :p

I just found an older version of Ormus's BoE (sans editors) on my flash drive that worked better with regard to custom scenarios being recognized. I don't know what the functional differences between that version and the newer one are, aside from custom scenarios working in this one. I'll look through the thread about his port and post here again.

EDIT: Okay, it seems the only real difference between this older version and the current one is that Ormus rearranged the file structure. This was done to make development easier, if I understood correctly, but it also broke custom scenarios.

I just have the program, and not the source, unfortunately. At any rate, it should run well enough on XP and Vista. I don't know what to do with it though, now that I have it. Should I upload it somewhere (it's a 2.67MB ZIP), or are there licensing issues due to this version being released under the Common Public License rather than GNU GPL v2?

Quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Do-er of Stuff:
Quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Do-er of Stuff:
Should I upload it somewhere (it's a 2.67MB ZIP), or are there licensing issues due to this version being released under the Common Public License rather than GNU GPL v2?
QFE
It's fine for you to upload and distribute it. The only licensing issues that come up are if someone tries to modify it, basically.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I experienced a problem like this just now. Examination with Filemon reveals that (at least on Vista), Ormus's latest version of BoE looks for scenarios in a "Scenarios" folder in My Documents. Creating this folder and placing scenarios inside allows custom scenarios to be played using Ormus's latest build.

Looks like scenarios need to be in both the Documents\Scenarios directory and the Blades of Exile\Scenarios directory. Ormus's build is building the list of scenarios from Documents\Scenarios and trying to load scenarios from Blades of Exile\Scenarios.

Originally Posted By: novaalpha
I've downloades some custom BOE scenarios from here: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/blades/scen_stuff/solid.html, and pre-compiled BOE from here: http://code.google.com/p/blades-of-exile/downloads/list

Then you've downloaded full-of-bugs version from around mid-2007, which is old, corrupts savegames and shouldn't be online anymore. Go download the latest version there:

http://info.wsisiz.edu.pl/~kowalsg0/

EDIT:

Attention everyone. Before you begin to discuss bugs in BoE for Win please make sure that you use the latest version taken directly from my website.