Questions about player companions.

Wened

Hi. I'm planning to play this game after i finish Avernum:EFTP so i have some questions regarding henchmen.

Can good people of this forum, list all the companions that are available in this game? Something like:

Name: x

Class: x

Available: early/late/after a quest

Personality: Funny/[censored]/heroic/squirellrapist

Will quit party if: You betray Avadon/wash redbeards beard/steal [censored]

That way i can make informed decision about what class i want to play. I do not want to pick a class and later discover that my favorite henchmen has the same class as i do :(

There is nothing wrong with having two of the same class. Having two tinkermages is a powerful party since they can each make two turrets or pylons that can fight or buff.

All the Hands will stay with the party except each will leave for a zone to do a personal quest. If you don't help them with their quest they won't fight for you in the final endgame battle.

You meet them all by the time you reach Avadon which is early in the game, especially if you race there instead of doing sidequests to gain levels. The Hands all go up at the same rate so you can swap them anytime you leave Avadon.

Khalida (F) Blademaster

2nd Zone

Personality: heroic/memory problems

Yannick (M) Sorceror

2nd Zone

Personality: annoying

Alcander (M) Tinkermage

Avadon

Personality: funny/annoying (to some players)

Dedrick (M) Shaman

Avadon

Personality: dull

Yoshiria (F) Shadowwalker

Avadon

Personality: Anti-Avadon

By the way, my experience with Avadon is that you are always the strongest member of the party. This is because it is "you" and doesn't really matter which class you choose.

There is a quite normal survival instinct that makes you give the best weapons/scrolls to yourself. The same instinct makes you pay more attention and spend more time to think about how to place the skills.

Your main character is you and it is also the first man/woman on the line of fire. This psychological aspect counts as well. I ended games with each of the members of the party as main character and all of them were not only "good" as me, but they were stronger and better built than when the same character was "only" a party member. However, I liked to have a double Tinkermage.

Why not? As Randomizer said, that's a pretty normal thing to do.

Different classes give me more variety in skills to use in combat and gear allocation. Maybe it's just a personal preference.

As far as i understand Tinkermages are op while sorcerers are weak? Is that correct? Assuming i will play on normal difficulty how would You rate classes from strongest to weakest?

Also. Does lockpicking stack between characters and how many points is max value needed?

Tinkermage is the strongest class and even on torment difficulty you can get through 95% of the game using it for your PC and not need a Hand along for help.

Shadowwalker is next since a range attack version has dexterity useful for attack (razordisk) and defense.

Sorcerer are powerful because they have the most different types of damage and using shadow charm and focus mastery they can reduce magical, fire, and cold damage to recharge abilities faster. Anyone that thinks this is a weak class hasn't been using it properly.

Blademasters are strong for physical damage in both range and melee. They are the tank that can just stand there and take it with high armor and health.

Shamans can be powerful with a summoned pet doing the attacks while they heal and buff. They have the worst armor even using abilities so that extra health is needed as the suck up damage like a dry sponge with water. Their primary attack, spirit claw, is resisted by more monsters than a sorcerer's fire attack.

Even though evasion has been nerfed in half it still is useful. Unlike a sorcerer that can't use dexterity except for a physical missile attack, dexterity is more helpful for range attacks for tinkermage, shadowwalker, and blademaster. A shaman can use dexterity for earthshatter ability because Jeff never changed that.

Well, I always try to play with as many companion combinations as possible, so I'm not sure who is the best to pair with Alcander, but certainly the most obvious pair is Khalida; they are waaaay too different from each other. I remember at least one occasion when she gets irritated from Alcander selfish remarks.