Geneforge 5 questions

Just finished Geneforge 4, overall an improvement on G3 in most aspects, though the factions being limited to only rebel/shaper kept the whole narrative quite narrow in scope compared with earlier titles. I stuck to a mostly pro-rebel playthrough but those drakons certainly were giving me plenty of reasons to go pro-shaper towards the end. I also missed the Alwan/Greta banter from G3, as an aside I certainly think it would be interesting to have other party members who were also struggling against the temptations of power the players face in any potential remakes, but otherwise I had an enjoyable time.

Anyway, I'm planning on moving onto G5 next and will only have time for a single playthrough so I want to get the most out of it. Obviously as it's the final game in the series :( there's no "canon" ending to work towards but I do have some questions before I get stuck in any further (just about to meet Rawal right at the start of the game).

-Canisters - can these be used without consequence in G5 or should I be limiting myself to a certain number? Any effects on encounters like in G4 and do they affect the ending.

-Shaper build - I'm playing a Shaper again in G5 (always played shaper in every game) and I'm wondering what the best builds are. I felt like my Geneforge 2 shaper was an absolute powerhouse in both summoning and magic and my G3 shaper slightly less so (I think he was very Vlish-dependant). In G4, my shaper didn't feel all that powerful and the strongest creation I got access to was a wingbolt which I kept through most of the game - my G4 protagonist felt very underpowered (even in the endgame) and I want to avoid this happening in my G5 playthrough. So, with that in mind - Which summoning school/build should I be focusing on to create a truly powerful character?

-Does anything special need to be done (that might be missable) to unlock the highest tier creations? I had an absolutely blast with my Eyebeast based shaper in Geneforge 2 and this being the last geneforge game I want to be sure I don't miss out on the highest tier creations this time.

-Factions - I understand that there are more than 2 factions this time around, presumably the game's overall setup is closer to G1/2 as a result. Can you play through the game completely unaligned or is the endgame goal tied to faction goals?

Thanks in advance.

Canisters only affect one encounter and not the outcome.

Shapers with battle creations do the best because Jeff reduced the advantages of the other two types.

Level 3 versions of tier 5 creations aren't always available until the very end. Sorry, but that's where the canisters are found.

There are 6 factions in Geneforge 5 split between different levels on the range from ultra Pro-Shaper to ultra Pro-Rebel. Your reputation will decided which ones you can join at any time. Shaper Rawal's faction however doesn't let you see the main endings so save often before finally joining a faction. You do need to join a faction to reach the main endings.

There is a special ending available if you attack a friendly NPC. :)