Which side did you choose and why?

LutherMax

I'm interested to know who sided with Avadon and who the Rebels, and their reasons for choosing one over the other.

I'm not at that point yet but I'm leaning towards the Rebels because Avadon feels a bit 'North Korea' to me!

The problem of course is turning your back on Avadon-loyal companions who you've come to like and respect.

I find it a genuinely difficult decision which is testament to the games design and writing.

Thoughts?

I'm interested to know who sided with Avadon and who the Rebels, and their reasons for choosing one over the other.

I'm not at that point yet but I'm leaning towards the Rebels because Avadon feels a bit 'North Korea' to me!

The problem of course is turning your back on Avadon-loyal companions who you've come to like and respect.

I find it a genuinely difficult decision which is testament to the games design and writing.

Thoughts?

I personally have more of a feeling that The Pact and Avadon have a more Western (with the USA) feel. United, but still independant and troubles within. With multiple possible outside agressors, which currently don't do anything, but could at any moment. Coupled with a "the ends justify the means" mentality (torture, violence, military intervention ...).

My first character stayed loyal to The Pact and Redbeard.

As a citizen of the Pact she obviously doesn't want the pre-pact situation back. Trouble within and ever so often different Farlands invading. So the utmost goal for my character was to keep the Pact intact. Avadon itself is needed, though she believed that the behaviour should change a bit. She never took a "NY" item (no stealing), never demanded a discount/help and overall tried to treat everyone (except demons) with respect. That also meant she couldn't do some companion quests (i.e. Dedrik, though I had him in my party most of the time).

Redbeard is a difficult topic. While clearly growing old, he has the experience and knows the most out of of any Pact citizen (at least about the enemies of the Pact). From what I know the Hearts by far don't know everything (or was that only changed after Miranda's betrayal?), so Redbeard knows a lot about secret outposts (like Fort Foresight) and other secret missions for Hands. Under this assumption my character would speculate that removing him would throw Avadon in a state of chaos until the new Keeper would be up to date. The time for that is not right, since the Farlands just wait for a weakness. If the assumption is untrue and most knowledge could be acquired within days, then removing him would be the better option.

My 2nd character will kill Redbeard and have a more violent nature.

The 3rd one will side with the rebels - maybe more. I have to see more how that route will go.

I have finished as a rebel and as a loyalist. I basically did the rebel version just for Silke. While I am convinced that Avadon is a problem, none of the various factions opposed to it have managed to convince me that they are anything close to the solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I was an extreme loyalist my first playthrough.

My second playthrough I kind of gave up, I don't think I found my development very satisfying

I started a third playthrough where what I'm going to do is be loyal to Silkie and to my companions, the rest can come or go, but I'm not through with it.

I remained loyal to Avadon and Redbeard in both games. I appreciatte the effort to offer dilemmas and gray moral decisions, but I'm unable to get convinced of a Pact nation without Avadon or "the pact" itself.

Maybe the pact and Avadon have serious issues within, but that doesn't mean that a better performance of both entities is impossible; given the core idea of the alliance, if they manage to make it work properly... well, I think it's a great solution in the particular context.

I finished the game as a rebel and as a loyalist, just like Edgwyn. As a rebel my reasons were different, not for Silke I deserted but for the thrill to change side in the middle of a battle. Sort of "let's see what will be different here" things. Worst part is hunting down old Odil... it was hard, didn't like that at all because I respected him. Then I slowly entered the different game perspective and things went on better but, well, it's creepy! :crazy: