Does G4 pc actually matter in rebel ending?

Having played a bit of all the Geneforge games and having completed 2(G4,G5) and almost completed G1, i feel like the in the rebel ending of G4 the PC plays a pretty useless part. I didnt help in the formation of the unbound, i didnt really keep the shapers at bay before the unbound were made, infact, I didnt even know about the unbound till they were almost ready. The only thing the PC does is a little battle test of the 3 unbound prototypes, which the drakons could have done, but this was simply more fun for them.

I feel that apart from Monarch, the infiltrators, and finding the shapers in the warrens, my poor servile was pretty ineffective as far as the war effort is concerned. Especially considering the final fight was just an all out slugfest. Not to mention, Monarch could have done nothing to stop the unbound, and the infiltrators probable would never have gotten past the Grayghost Gate (the tunnel into Khima from the windswept farm could doesnt seem large enough for a real force to enter), so the unbound were still pretty safe.

My general impression of the PC in most of the Geneforge games was of a single person who was in the right place at the right time and did something far more important than just kill things. This ending just seems in so different a direction from all the Spiderweb games i've played.

Think of the "alternate reality" scenario: in the alternate reality where the PC is pro-Shaper, the Shaper infiltrators DO succeed in wrecking the Unbound project. Your pro-rebel choices / intervention keep that from happening. It may not have taken the form of some climatic confrontation, but really, a number of the Geneforge games don't have climactic boss battles, just a series of choices with consequences that play out over time. Maybe nothing you did in G4 seemed obviously critical, but you know if you'd made different choices, things would have turned out quite differently.

While I like G1 and G2 the best, I know there's a good-sized segment of the forum population that likes G4 best.

don't have climactic boss battles,

I feel that the rebel specific ending was not just not climactic, it was an anti-climax, especially when only Alwan came in alone with his creations, and i was standing over there with Greta, Akhari Blaze, the warmaster drakon and 2 generic drakons.

just a series of choices with consequences that play out over time. Maybe nothing you did in G4 seemed obviously critical, but you know if you'd made different choices, things would have turned out quite differently.

This is definitely more realistic, but, then this is still a game about magically enhanced bioengineering and talking lizards(not to hate on drayks, they are among my favourite creations)

While I like G1 and G2 the best, I know there's a good-sized segment of the forum population that likes G4 best.

Bit off topic, but while the story was definitely more interesting in 1 and 2, i found Shopkeepers running out of money permanently to be a real pain.