Stuck in the eastern mines

I have been struggling through the eastern mines in G1 for a couple of days now, and my frustration just continues to increase. Those pylons are practically unbeatable. The walkthrough says I'm to head west to the mine core to find a servant mind who can turn them off. Where is this servant mind?? It also says there's a non-functioning lava pit to cross, and I can't find that either. I am stubborn enough to try and finish this game, though the enjoyment factor is rapidly declining. :mad:

What class are you playing? An agent or missile guardian using speed can move up, fire, and retreat out of the pylon's range. Repeat until done. A shaper can send creations ahead to clear the pylons and replace them as they die.

If I remember correctly you enter from the south and move east and then north to get past the lava. Then west until you find an exit on the western edge a bit to the north.

The servant mind is in the center room of the mine core. The mind can turn off defenses in one zone at a time to allow you to clear the way and avoid most damage except for wandering creations.

I'm playing as a shaper, but am having trouble maintaining enough essence to constantly heal/create new helpers. I have to keep leaving the area to return to a place that will restore some essence, but I never get very much at a time. I've pretty much bought out essence pods at the places I've been so far. I will try going to the east to get past the lava pits. Thanks.

The servant that controls stuff in the mines is in the Mine Core zone, toward center-south part of the zone. You have to do some careful maneuvering to avoid pylons and deactivate the power spirals that power them. If you reach the mind, you can feed it and get it to deactivate defenses in Mine Core and in one of the three other mine zones.

It sounds like you've been entirely in the Eastern Mine zone, which mean you'll never find the mind there. It IS possible to sneak through the Eastern Mine and avoid the pylons. Use combat mode to peak out from around corners, figure out where the pylons are, then step back under cover. Use haste to get more steps and plot your moves carefully.

I hope that helps!

Well, but how do I get to the mine core zone? My map doesn't offer me that option. . . in fact, the east mine is still red, meaning it hasn't been cleared yet. I have actually killed all the pylons I can get to. The rest of them are behind the lava pits, which kills my group faster than we can get across. Thanks for trying to help!

Well, but how do I get to the mine core zone? My map doesn't offer me that option. . . in fact, the east mine is still red, meaning it hasn't been cleared yet. I have actually killed all the pylons I can get to. The rest of them are behind the lava pits, which kills my group faster than we can get across. Thanks for trying to help!

The northernmost row of fire pits has a few that are inactive. Look closely for the darker pits... you can walk across those without damage. Though you will have to be careful.

I assumed you entered the Eastern Mines in the SE corner of the zone. The other exit, leading to the Mine Core zone, is on the western side of the zone, about in the middle of the western side.

According to the hint book, to clear the zone on the world map, you'll have to pass through the entire mine section from end to the other (i.e. enter through Eastern Mines zone, pass though Mine Core zone to Western Mines zone, and exit through Western Mines) and also deactivate the defenses in Mine Core zone (done by talking to the servant mind there).

Spolier:

Buff self with augment(Healing abilities are in shaping section so I would assume you have some skill in augment, if not from canisters). I recommend absorbing your creations and doing this part alone. It saves time and your party won't be clumped up.

Turn on fight mode. Walk next to walls. Peek pass corners to check for pylons, then walk back. Repeat this at every corner. I know it's tedious but this is the role play part. You're being sneaky!

Remember to watch your AP while you do this...

Heal if you get hit by the pylons and remember to save often! Save on a different save file if you're unsure about the distance you've put between you and a exit region. (You can always go back to autosave, but that will mean you need to redo the entire map.)

This is what I did when I played with an Agent, thought it was MUCH easier with the speed boost. :D

At first I found this part of Geneforge very annoying but it gets a lot easier once you get the hang of it. Just keep avoiding the pylons and speed past the monsters to look for the servant mind.